RIP cradle MTB route

Furbz

You seem to forget the trail is free and for everyone to use, it is not your personal playground for your own use.

You should be thankful that someone has taken the time and effort to build a trail for all to use.. which is FREE!!

If it is not technically challenging after all the skillz you have learnt on the Spruit... which is also a dirt road.. then try other places to push your skillz... but unfortunately you will have to likely pay for that pleasure!!

I second RocknRolla's comments, you have ridden it, it is not to your liking and superior skillz... so move on to pastures green and let others enjoy it for what it is.

Your continual moaning will not change anything, Hero have been given guidelines and a mandate to make the trail what it is and that is what it will become.

If you want it to be something else then you will have to take over from the Government, so that you become the Client and then can dictate...  that will cost you money!!.. but as you seem to enjoy the free trails of the spruit and not so much the cradle... i don't see that happening!!

Yeah, immediately switching to baggies pretty much negates the need for any type of skills clinics. The cooler you look, the better you automatically ride. Cooking yourself in hot n heavy Enduro kit is super practical, and sweaty balls is all the rage at the moment.

Get yourself into full DH gear with plenty of padding, and a 160mm trail eater. Show that 5km beginner section who its daddy is...!

Start to use words like, fully, rad, pumped, gnarly, etc in your cycling conversations.

Becoming totally, wickedly, sick like the manne above is easier than you think.

I get that the trail is free and beginners etc, and I have shown my support for the point of view above.

BUT:

It is pretty much not an MTB trail - its a path alongside the road. It would actually be a lot better if we had an MTBer design it in the beginning and then create something new which is exciting for all levels.

I think this could be done on a voluntary basis and if anyone is listening i am willing to bring a spade, backbone and sunscreen to do some digging and building to make it in to something that would be more challenging.

I quickly grew bored with it and even found it less challenging to ride on a  CX bike.

What about a group of people who build it like the Spruit was built - all voluntary?

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

on this note about skills of average riders...

I went to cycle lab fourways on the weekend to buy a tyre.  was looking for a 2.3" 650B tyre with a marginally rough tread suitable for enduro riding and I kid you not I couldn't find anything suitable in what I'm assuming is the largest cycling store in SA!

Not dissing, blaming or shaming cycle lab, they cater for who they cater and I'm cool with that, but I guess that speaks to the general MTB scene in SA where its all about distance, amount of vertical ascent and strava KOM's which unfortunately come at the expense of challenging and fun trails..

might as well pave it and create a cycle lane. thats how dumbed down it is.

You are continually using derogatory terms for what is actually the route builders trying to comply with a directive they have been given.

Dude if you hate it so much, don't ride it, but stop having a go the route builders. We need to encourage them not lambaste them the whole time.

Bru, such skilled athletes, like yourself, should be exclusively riding at Whistler...

Just give the Cradle next-to-tar-road-sand-road a skip if it's creating such misery in your life...

Your whining is a bit tedious... 

You are continually using derogatory terms for what is actually the route builders trying to comply with a directive they have been given.

Dude if you hate it so much, don't ride it, but stop having a go the route builders. We need to encourage them not lambaste them the whole time.

PC much?

giphy.gif

not having a go at the route builders, rather the guys who need a wide flat route to  "mountainbike" 

soon the road is going to be more difficult as you have to avoid obstacles in the form of those rubber bollards.

PC much?

giphy.gif

not having a go at the route builders, rather the guys who need a wide flat route to  "mountainbike" 

soon the road is going to be more difficult as you have to avoid obstacles in the form of those rubber bollards.

Ag dude, it is clear you have an agenda or are bored....

Just a bit of history, this was created for the community, and there was an actual environmental impact study as well as thorough market research done. The trail was created using this information. My 9 year old loooves riding that trail on his bmx, and on his mtb. And it's really great being able to take him.

As for dumbing down, it happens to each and every trail, the more wheels go over it, the more the trail widens, the more compact the dirt becomes.

Some trails become worse and more technical due to erosion, braking bumps etc. It's the nature of trails.

agree, ag man moenie moan nie, eet jou kaas en jou polony.

Its not a tech trail, it will never be one, stop moaning about the fact that it isn't. Its a relaxed trail catering for every skill level where you can have a nice coffee at one of the venues afterwards. Love it for what it is, stop hating for what it isn't.

There are plenty tech trails out there that will amuse you for hours just up the road from the cradle. VG and hakahana hit the sweet spot with this. 

It is simple - if you do not like it.........ride somewhere else..............

Bru, such skilled athletes, like yourself, should be exclusively riding at Whistler...

Just give the Cradle next-to-tar-road-sand-road a skip if it's creating such misery in your life...

Your whining is a bit tedious... 

i've been reading some of your comments.  you are quite offensive against people who would like a little bump or turn in the road...  I didn't get the impression that the OP intended to build a cradle version of Whistler, just that perhaps its not necessary to take out every single turn.

Since the thread started, the dude from Hero explained their mandate and I hope that even with the "wide and non-technical" requirement that they will and can make it a little fun at least :)

It's OUR sport and it's OUR tax money that pays for it.  Surely all of us should have a voice to say whether we like it or not

i've been reading some of your comments.  you are quite offensive against people who would like a little bump or turn in the road...  I didn't get the impression that the OP intended to build a cradle version of Whistler, just that perhaps its not necessary to take out every single turn.

Since the thread started, the dude from Hero explained their mandate and I hope that even with the "wide and non-technical" requirement that they will and can make it a little fun at least :)

It's OUR sport and it's OUR tax money that pays for it.  Surely all of us should have a voice to say whether we like it or not

thank you.

i am just voicing my thoughts. 

its insane how people blow things out of proportion 

It's mainly because i'm very un-skilled, and don't have baggies, or more than 100mm of travel, and that my Dad didn't hug me much...

But also, because instead of complaining that a piece of trail is too easy for my skill level, I understand that in order for there to even be a trail there for anyone to ride, a mandate stipulated by the powers that be needs to be followed. And that instead of bitching n moaning, I can just pop around the corner to Heia Safari, and ride all the technical stuff i desire.

Harden up a bit. My "offensive" comments are a tongue in cheek way of saying, be grateful.

Specially when it's free, and when you haven't lifted a finger to contribute.

It's mainly because i'm very un-skilled, and don't have baggies, or more than 100mm of travel, and that my Dad didn't hug me much...

But also, because instead of complaining that a piece of trail is too easy for my skill level, I understand that in order for there to even be a trail there for anyone to ride, a mandate stipulated by the powers that be needs to be followed. And that instead of bitching n moaning, I can just pop around the corner to Heia Safari, and ride all the technical stuff i desire.

Harden up a bit. My "offensive" comments are a tongue in cheek way of saying, be grateful.

Specially when it's free, and when you haven't lifted a finger to contribute.

okay to complain about "wannabe hardcore" MTB riders, but not okay to complain about the trail...?  it's not about hardening up, its about not shooting down people when they raise what they believe to be a valid point.

it would have been nice to have something "fun" in every trail, even it were just an optional line with a fast berm or a lil drop wouldn't you agree?  fun also doesn't mean dropping off the roof and doing **** that makes your wife cry and your mom grow grey.

I think it's rather silly to accept that trails are either "technical and fun" or "not technical and boring" or basically that a single trail can only cater for one type of rider?  That then would result that unless you go to a dedicated bike park with marked and graded routes with indemnity forms and stuff, all other trails will be straight, wide and flat suited exclusively to the worst bike rider in Jozi...

edit:  it's not free, its built and maintained with tax money

Perhaps the "valid points" and "opinions" in this thread should be voiced through the correct channels, and not a shot in the dark on the hub, hoping some official's spidey sense start tingling, and a team of trail builders gets dispatched to create some gnar

Bud, then go get involved.

Go sit in meetings between Hero and the municipality or whoever is doing the decision making, and convince them to make 2 lines, one for the less skilled/beginners, and one for you and Furbz. Tell them you'll be there on Saturdays in the rainy season with your weed eater, cutting grass and branches that are hanging into the singletrack and maintaining the variety you're keen on.

Try to look at a bigger picture. They're (Hero) getting in the mix with a lot of land owners and creating places to ride. If that happens with more places in that area, soon you might be able to utilize this "dumbed down" section of trail to link parks/riding venues together.

Starting threads here about it serves no purpose but to voice complaints that fall on deaf ears, and to show the people putting in all the effort that people like you dont appreciate it.

Archived