Stolen: Fondriest TF2 2013 (Stellenbosch)

Kelson Elena Da Cruz

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's hectic! Are you not worried these guys now know what you look like, they have your cell no and they know what car you drive?

glad you got your bike back!

you took a serious chance bru, fortunately it paid off... couldve ended a lot worse!

ahhh this is great wonderful ending loved very bit...no you need to find frogman and ask him to steel your Daihatsu next...but don't post it....just let it go,set it free 

Great you got your bike back. What struck me was that p.o.s. knew the value of the bike. The value you told the police. Reinforces the feeling we're on our own when it comes to crime. A twist on the old good cop/bad cop speel.

THE GRAND FINALE ( PART 4 )

Yes ONE LEAD , so immediately I pick my cell phone ( NOT smart ) and contact my lead ! someone try to sell him a bike around Stelle and he checked on HUBSA web site ( where I advertise my stolen bike ) and he thinks could be my one so he forwarded to me the one (only) photo of the bike in the cell number of the bad guy.

I need 100% positive identification but the photo is dark and very bad quality but I can see clear the bike got NO SEAT !!!! so finally I understand why the seat fall off in the race , why I had to suffer so much for 90 km , why I had to listen the verbal abuse of the B group riders , finally I understood , MEANT TO BE , is all for a reason .....

So I make contact with the bad guys, and I introduce my self as a bike buyer and he bite the bait ,eventually after long negotiation on the phone, we settle on a price 8K so he wants to meet me at some dark hally outside STELLE but I refuse saying I am not from the area and the downtown is the only place I know ( 100% true ) .

I got pumped up , got dressed up for the meeting and I need to blend so put on my shorts , my hemp T shirt and flip flops , NO NO kel flip flops no good if you need to run for your life ... so I got my running shoes .

As I was leaving home inside voice hit me , kel , what are you doing ? , are you crazy , you gonna get killed ... but my bike , my bike , I'm so close , OK I need one back up plan someone to watch over my ASS , but who ? off course my mate from STELLE, he is solid like a rock, so I pick my phone and chat with him explaining my plan but I can feel by his tone in the voice that his legs are jelly, but eventually I managed to convince him ( I think he like the James bond part where he follow me from far way ) but he tells me the meeting with the bad guys need to be between 1-2 pm out of business hour off course my mate works, not like me ... so I reschedule the meeting for 1 pm and drove to STELLE.

Plan A is very simple, when the bad guys arrive with my bike to meet me , my mate and his friend arrive at the same time ( both are looking over my ass at a close distance ) and we push the bad guys way and I rescue my bike .

plan B - get the bike and scream very loud ( not so good , I'm terrible screamer , I wish I had my wife super powers when she screams in the bed because one bug got in, I can hear bells inside my head for days ).

plan C - pay the bad guys the cash ( I don't like this one !!!!! )

plan D - if **** hits the Fan , throw the cash into the air and run for my life.

My wife advise me , kel just go with the flow and adapt with the situation ( smart women !!! ) , some told me , hey kel just contact the cops set up a sting operation and catch the bad guys with the hand on the cookie jar BUT my GUT tell me NO kel you have ONLY one chance if the bad guys smell any rat here is ALL OVER my poor bike will get stripped and sold piece by piece ... so I decided to face the bad guys without the cops but I had the plan A,B,C,D .

So I wait , wait and wait 1 pm come and gone my mate sms to tell me he needs to go back work, so there goes my back up and plan A , but finally I get a sms to go to the STELLE rugby field car park, the grand stage is set ! so I rush there and wait ....

Very soon arrived one skinny RASTAMAN , about 1.7 , dreadlocks down to his knees but empty hand so he explains the bike will arrive soon and the deal can be done , we gel well, I think we share the same taste for music and he likes my Hemp T shirt I think he want roll and smoke , I check out his physique, and he had the potential to become a true cycling climber , trim his dreadlocks (10kg off ), stop the intake of doobie and maybe , maybe .... come on kel wake up this guys will never stop the intake of doobie so I let go of my thoughts of social responsibility and focus again in my bike .

After few minutes another bad guy arrive , driving a corsa lite sport ( avocado green / frog green ) , and I can see on the back seat MY BIKE , he looks nervous , his physique had NO hope to be a cyclist if we work hard on him maybe a average runner , he was about 1.7 early 30 , weight about 90kg , flabby , FROGMAN .. so he take my bike from the back seat and throws it in the floor and mentions the value " ALL CARBON, 80K, remember 80K , mentioned at the police station? maybe just a coincidence " I clinch my teeth I want to jump on to his jugular, but hold on kel don't blow your cover now you are so close ...

My bike need some attention the chain is off so I managed to put the chain in place and set up the wheels took some time to get the chain working and frogman started to grow impatient he want the cash and out of there so he try to help me to fix the bike and I just look at him and say I know what I'm doing I'm a cyclist and this is my bike, so F off your dirty hands of my bike ( thinking loud ) finally I get the wheel spinning and I know she is ready !

But the odds are against me , 2 against one so I need a decoy ( false sprint ) so I send the bait " hi Rastman and Frogman I need to ride the bike so I can check the carbon frame for any crack and if is all good , is done deal and I show them the stash of cash in my pocket " so they agreed to let me try the bike so the bait worked !!

I stand in my bike look around and access the situation , FROGMAN got no chance in a short sprint he is just too heavy but if he created the momentum could be a problem so the SPRINT can not be too long

Rastaman he is the dangerous one , light , agile , but his lungs ( all that doobie ) can not sustain one SPRINT longer than 30 meters so I set my strategy , the SPRINT will be around 100 meter .

I look around and spotted a door of a sport club ( around 100 m way ) and I know that is the finish line , my goal , no second or third I need to win only win will do this time !!!

I drop my legs over the pedals check the gear ,and, holly **** no SEAT , but come on kel you not doing a tour here only 100 meters you can stand 100 meters easy so I relax !!!

I was ready for the sprint of my life ( or rather say for my life ) , so I drop all the power over the crank ( years of training ) the bike responded beautiful almost if she was waiting for that moment the Sprint was so powerful that frogman and Rastaman had no chance ( both was numb ) , I look back and I know I'll win this race , so I cross the finished line and NO signs of frogman/rastaman so is all over , VICTORY !!! , so the receptionist on the sport club look at me and say " what a hell going on " and I reply , call the cops !!! I just retrieved my stolen bike :)

So after few minutes the security company arrived and NO signs of Frogman and Rastaman , so I packed my bike into the back seat of my car , and drove home.

On the N2 freeway , I looked at back seat and there it is MY BIKE resting in peace so I cranked up the music volume , look at the mirror and I had the broadest smile over my face because I just won the most important race of my life ...

THE END

Could have outsprinted Sagan?

Thieves knew exact value of bike. Could also be because some homework/research was done before or after stealing the bike. Or they've been in the bike theft business (syndicate) long enough to know exactly what to look out for. Real pitty cops did not join the 'sting' operation. Why not include them? Yes there could be a link between cops & bad guys but I'm pretty sure they would've attempted to assist, especially knowing that the scoundrels agreed to pitch. 

Holy ****, dude! What a story. I do not have to spend money on renting any action DVD's until the end of the year, now. That box surely ticked. Enjoy your bike!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey man, any details on your LEAD that you got? my bike got stolen here in Stellenbosch as well and i'm desperately looking for any information regarding the matter. Although My bike isn't worth 80k, its worth about 10k, it's still a big loss for me. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks