Stolen: Fondriest TF2 2013 (Stellenbosch)

Kelson Elena Da Cruz

After big demand here goes the long version ( Part one )All started with the one tonner race ( 160 km ) in Stellebosh with extra 10 km bonus , so wake 3 am done my stretching session , left my quite suburb Scarborough ( all the pumpkins farmers and the hippies that missed the Woodstock bus live there ) , in my right hand is my power smoothie ( loaded with super food that will brake your bank balance and make any carrots eaters out there very jealous .Arrived safe in Stelle ; registered , dressed up , warmed up , say hello ( the normal routine ) and next minute we're on the way , awesome weather for riding , no wind , not too cold , just perfect !Around km 80 i start to hear some noises from my bike , look everywhere and could not find out where was coming from so thought I could keep going with the peloton because once you are in the draft you will give your small finger to stay ON and no noise will change my mind .So as we approach the 2nd longest climb and I stand in my bike to climb , I noted my carbon seat is gone and as I try to seat and realize that is REALLY gone , so any doubts I had in my mind of some kind gayish feelings was gone forever I did not like the feeling :)So you may be asking what the hell the seat got to do it , well hold your horses riders, soon you will understand the connection ...So I manage to retrieve the seat before a car went over it, i just save 3K and unfortunately game is over for me NO SEAT NO RIDE , but a good Samaritan on the road had a medical kit in the car and we tapped the seat back into place , so I can finish this race and don't have to wait for the bus at 4 pm collecting all the dead bodies , so I did look into the horizon and there is coming one fast pacing B group "break way" so I managed to get into the draft but the number of riders in the group was not in my favor ( maybe 10 -12 riders) I could not hide so of course they want me do the work in the front "SHARE THE LOAD" , so after intense negotiation , bad looks , swearing and I even show them the injured seat they left me alone in my back corner .I managed to finished the race , removed the tapped SEAT , loaded everything in to the car and after my recovery drink , phone my old matte from Stelle for a meeting and maybe lunch together so we meet , drove to downtown and parked our cars one block from Colcachio pizza place , had great lunch , good chat and when back in the car , I noted my bike IS GONE , had been forcibly removed from the back seat of the car ( broken the passage window ) , very strange feeling almost of disbelieve , they took the bike frame and the set of wheel and left my bag with my kit , shoes , and my SEAT !!!Part 2 coming soon .....

Looking forward to read part 2

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Am guessing the bike was dumped after being stolen as they thought it was broken because of the saddle

Am guessing the bike was dumped after being stolen as they thought it was broken because of the saddle

Or the guy impaled himself on the seat post, ended up in hospital....

Or the guy impaled himself on the seat post, ended up in hospital....

I like this scenario

The long version ( Part 2 ).

YES kel the bike is gone , so what to do now ??? , well go to the police station and the cops will get my bike back !! so I shout out to my mate ,  straight to the nearest SAPS !!! and we left the crime scene.

As we turn in to the main road , I spotted  one agitated security guard on a bike , I immediately stop and asked what going on ??? his reply , I was chasing some dodgy guy carrying a bike ( so must be my bike !!! ) I shout back to him, jump in my car now and you can show me the direction  ( remember I not from Stelle and by the way  directions is not my strength and off course my wife the co pilot is not with me SO I'M LOST !!! ) .

The security guard did not want to get into my car because his bike ( now as I think back , he had a point ) , but all I can think is MY BIKE so I shout to him GET INTO THE CAR so he left his bike with some other dude in the street and started to give me directions , so  few blocks way we meet another dude also chasing the bad guys so I shout JUMP INTO THE CAR and show me  directions by that time the first security guard want to leave the car , I wonder why ? maybe because my driving ...  looking  back  I never drove so fast in my life , cutting corners  , jumping red robots , fast over speed bumps ...

My nickname in the village is 2 leg turtle, you know that guy in the front that drive 40 km/h on a 50 km/h road stretch and everyone is Q behind , yes that me !! middle fingers  left ,right and centre sometimes can get  funny when the finger goes up and they realise I'm the friendly neighbour ...

So back in to the chase , eventually we found one  SAPS van parked  close to a open area , but no sign of the bad guys so the cops suggested I should go to the police station and open a case ( but my gut tell me "stay with the cops"  so I tag the cop van and we drove around the town and informal settlement but no luck ...

I went  to SAPS to start  the paper work ... my mate sms from the police station and he already started the procedure as I arrived at SAPS car parking I noted a lot of broken car windscreen in the floor  , not a good place to park my car so I decided to take my  bag with my cycling kit with me ( not a good feeling ).

So the case is open , filling forms , a lot of  questions by the way  the value of the bike is mention for the first time here  "80K"  ( remember 80K and  SEAT  both have very important part to play as the story progress ...)

In the back of my mind , the bike is very close ! Mr policeman you should look at cameras on the crime scene , question the bad guys, and  we can recover the bike very fast if you  get on with it! ... but Sunday afternoon feeling was in the air NO ways this guys will  do anything today ( mañana amigo).

So I had to come up with something to lift the moral so I suggested 5K Reward for my bike  , so immediately been broadcasted on the radio network and I got pumped up and  hope is back  ... few minutes later the detective arrived the one who will be looking after my case so I'm ready to go back to the crime scene check out cameras , interrogate  witness and so on .... but all he want to know is :

Q- where was you bike ?

A- back seat

Q- How they got the bike out ?

A- Broken the passager glass

Q -How they could get the bike out from the glass window ?

A - Welllll maybe they open the door

Q - Where is you car ?

A- Here in the parking

Q - Can I see ?

A - Yes

So the detective had quick look into my car and left ( so I think he was more interested to find out if was a false insurance claim , by the way I don't do insurance ) so suddenly I had this sinking feeling and  I realise kel you're ALONE on this ...

The Long version Part 3 coming soon .....

Ag, nee, F@K man. skryf en kry klaar.......

I think kel is out of breath, give him chance to recover????

Let's hope he's not a Douglas Adams fan or it will be a trilogy of five!

I think this is exactly where we are headed....

http://www.ilovenoord.nl/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/univers-flyer1.jpg

i'm following this post. if stellenbosch bike theft is anything like my times in matieland, then Piet se Fiets is going enter the story at least by part 4.

Sounding like a Latin River Rat......keeping us all in suspension!

indeed. a foreign sounding, Sirion driving, cyclist from scarborough? Next thing we're going to find out he's married to one of Steve Hofmeyr's lovechildren!

My nickname in the village is 2 leg turtle, you know that guy in the front that drive 40 km/h on a 50 km/h road stretch and everyone is Q behind , yes that me !! 

This is very consistent with how you are sharing your stolen bike story on thehub so I believe you!!