Kids Balance Bike recommendations

GgL

Anyone got any advice on balance bikes for tall kids?

My daughter is mutant tall and has out grown a JDbug but is not ready for a pedal bike yet.

My son who is younger than my daughter is also massive so I dont see buying another bike as being a waste. I am sure that he will need it as well.

Get the pedal bike, but remove the cranks...

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

when my kids were young the closest things to balance bikes you could get were the black plastic bikes for 50 bucks (prob half that price then) and they coped just fine.....all that said...I prob would buy a balance bike now given the option

Get the pedal bike, but remove the cranks...

You don't have to remove the entire crank, just remove the pedals, that's what I did with my daughter's bike... she learned quickly because she wanted the pedals back...

Got my lightie a Muna balance bike. BRILLIANT little thing. Reasonably cheap (I think just under / over R 1,000 at current rates) and was the one that allowed the lowest saddle height of the lot, with a fully adjustable coaster brake that even with his super small hands allows him to brake Built STRONG, and will last him a while yet.

My daughter is turning 2 next month and been thinking of getting her this bike. She is a rather petite kid and would probably have to get the seat all the way down for her feet to reach the floor.

My concern then is that reaching the handle bars will be a bit of a stretch for her. How's the reach on them?

My daughter is turning 2 next month and been thinking of getting her this bike. She is a rather petite kid and would probably have to get the seat all the way down for her feet to reach the floor.

My concern then is that reaching the handle bars will be a bit of a stretch for her. How's the reach on them?

Put it this way. I had to put the saddle all the way down for my lightie when we got it (he was very small for his age) and the reach was absolutely fine

Put it this way. I had to put the saddle all the way down for my lightie when we got it (he was very small for his age) and the reach was absolutely fine

Ok cool. Thanks Myles.

My eldest has a muna pedal bike but still loves to grab my youngest's muna balance bike every chance be gets. Popping a wheelie!

89ccb0f59978a6954bfbbd03c08d9b4e.jpg

The munas are really cool little bikes.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Just to add another option to the list, Giant has a really well built 12" balance bike.

I posted photos of mine here.

The cost is double that of the Avalanche Munky but the quality alone sold me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by justanotherbiker

We stock the new Cruzee bikes. Great quality.

12219623_1664720213806437_55114419907745

SA designed

Ages 18 months to 6 years

Aluminium frame - rust free

Sealed bearing hubs

Long and short QR seatposts included

QR handlebars for quick height adjustment

Range of anodised colours

Solid EVA foam tyres

1.9kgs - that's 2kgs lighter than your average balance bike

Lifetime warranty

R2100.00

www.cruzee.com

Edited by Robodog

I bought a JD Bug at Checkers Hyper for R499 when they were selling for R899 elsewhere. Lucky, I guess?

It's now 3 years old and still looks/works like new.

Daughter #2 will get about 2 years out of it before the soon-to-be niece will (probably) inherit it.

Importers are now part of the Massmart/Makro buying division - think it's called M5 Sports Group

• 1 year later...

Whats the latest in balance bikes? My lightie is 2 in the next few weeks and I think its time to upgrade from his little plastic motorbike.

Have read through all the posts above, A few different options mentioned. They still the best options?