Cape Epic 2016 Group

Acerunner

How many chains did everyone go through? I put on a BRAND new chain, cassette and chainring the week before the Epic.

The mechanics looking after my bike, without my consent, said the had to replace the chain end of stage 6, that's probably less that 700k's on a chain.... :eek:  :eek:  :eek:

My previous drive chain lasted 10 months and thousands of km's, I am running 1 x 11.

Conditions weren't bad at all.

Eish - that sounds fishy! Replaced mine a week in advance and should still be fine for another couple of months. 

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surgical spirits in a spray bottle - just do not get it inside the urethra.... spray your shorts chamois and the skin and surrounding areas before a ride - skin 3 times a week, shorts - before every ride - but let them dry before putting them on. You may feel slight burning - this will go away when it dries, and as your skin gets used to it, it will reduce.

Remember.... avoid the tip..... :) and no - I have no personal experience - only heard the screaming from a distance..... although I have felt it on open blisters on the hand before.... and sprayed it on many other peoples blisters.... 

Thanks for this advice V12man. Followed it and had a sore-free Epic!

How many chains did everyone go through? I put on a BRAND new chain, cassette and chainring the week before the Epic.

The mechanics looking after my bike, without my consent, said the had to replace the chain end of stage 6, that's probably less that 700k's on a chain.... :eek:  :eek:  :eek:

My previous drive chain lasted 10 months and thousands of km's, I am running 1 x 11.

Changed my front tyre after day 3 which wasn't bad considering the same tyre also completed the 2015 Epic and around 3000km in training. (Spez Ground Control). Broke a spoke on day 2 and another on day 3 but thats it. Also 1 x 11, started with new chain and cassette. Chain, cassette and chain ring still ok. 

Changed my front tyre after day 3 which wasn't bad considering the same tyre also completed the 2015 Epic and around 3000km in training. (Spez Ground Control). Broke a spoke on day 2 and another on day 3 but thats it. Also 1 x 11, started with new chain and cassette. Chain, cassette and chain ring still ok. 

Did I mention R795.00 for a chain!!!

Bought new bike month before epic, rode it 3 times before epic, rode epic and everything still fine, i just replaced the brake pads. nothing else.

Brand new Drivetrain before Epic, broke chain 20km's before finish and fixed it up with spare link, my only real mechanical.

Chain replacement after less than 500km?  Expensive mechanic I think.

BTW, where is the report back from the OP? Calling Acerunner.

I also used wet wipes and every other item you listed. The tests confirmed food poisoning> I'm staying in safe catering accommo next year.

One thing that I learned from a pro - never eat unpackaged foods at the water points. By the time you get there a hundred guys could have put their gloved hand into the food tray. Gloves that have been used for wiping noses. Bananas are ok if still in the skin but anything unpackaged should be avoided.  

Would the test you had been able to pick up if it was gastric flu or E-Coli as opposed to food poisoning? 

Chain replacement after less than 500km?  Expensive mechanic I think.

BTW, where is the report back from the OP? Calling Acerunner.

Epic was insane, it was a better route compared to last year, really enjoyed some parts, my partner could not continue 18k's into stage 5 :( That part was hectic, dropping out of the epic for what ever reason is one of the worst things that can happen to a man. Just glad to be back to normal.. 3 months leading up to this thing is almost as hectic as the race itself..

but one thing tho.. Dont know if you guyz would agree, but for me, the food was Sh**, powdered eggs and that stew crap every night wasn't really my thing.. Congrats to all who finished, its really something.. And thank you for sharing your valuable insights! Cheers

How can they give powdered eggs or that insane Entry fee... The food should be Top Notch...

Fitted chain in November 2015. rode W2W, NOvember, December, Attakwas, 24HR, February.

= 2600km .

Same chain.

You was ripped.

My first Epic also, and can say done and dusted! ! !

Was freaky tough, never thought theyll be able to get so much single track, hills, technical rides.

The food was crap, could not even get a second scoop of meat or something. JoBerg2C food RULE!!

For the price i expected way more, and was very disappointed!!

Do it again, no dont think so, not value for money.

Can do 2 x big races and have money to spare.

I finished my ride on a 1 x 10. 30 front and 11 with 40 expander at back. Rode all except where riders in front of me pushed.

Had no mechanical issues, so very happy about it

Archived