Fuel Per Race

Lets not forget that some of us weigh almost double what others of us do and take more than twice as long to complete the same race. In these cases more time spent at high individual effort out on the same course can impact ones nutrition needs quite a lot.

Edited by jimmycool

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets not forget that some of us weigh almost double what others of us do and take more than twice as long to complete the same race. In these cases more time spent at high individual effort out on the same course can impact ones nutrition needs quite a lot.

You are correct - but g/kg is pretty much the same for everyone... big or small.

You are correct - but g/kg is pretty much the same for everyone... big or small.

Ok, let me get this right:

Calculate carbs in drinks and eats whilst riding at tempo for 80% of the event (higher intensity for 20%) and then 1g/kg/hour of carbs does the trick? I like the formula as it is simple and easy to apply. Really not educated about this so finding this helpful.

I really struggle to eat on the bike. I also belief you must find your own magic formula.

For a race I'll have 125g muesli with 200ml of Yoghurt and slice bread with Nutella- pre race

banana in the pens

on the road;

1x Single Track Fuel 

2x Fastbar (Racefood)

2x Gozo gels.

I will sort of carbo loading the 2 days prior to the event, but with whole foods- sweet potato, brown rice, fruits- no refined ***

this combo worked well for me.

the muesli feels "lighter" than oats and packs more Kcal per 100g.

edit: funny- I'm allowed to swear in Afrikaans but not in English :w00t:

Edited by HBO

Like HBO.....Find out what works for you.

For myself. Usually Have 50-100g of Cooked oats. Depends on the ride or race I do.

For a race: 2 x Racefood bars

1 x Nak'd Bars

1 or 2 Goos

Maybe a banana

1 x Bottle water and one 1 x High 5 Race mix

best is to make sure you fuel the day before.Train your body to eat while training and it becomes easier on race day.

Ok, let me get this right:

Calculate carbs in drinks and eats whilst riding at tempo for 80% of the event (higher intensity for 20%) and then 1g/kg/hour of carbs does the trick? I like the formula as it is simple and easy to apply. Really not educated about this so finding this helpful.

Should work just fine - remember that you also want to be taking about 500ml fluid per hour (at about 75kg), and you can go a bit dry - so - plan on using 2 full bottles over the 4 hours - no stops - just spread out the drinking evenly - every 10 min or so a small amount. Better to be slightly thirsty at the end of the ride than have to make a pee stop...

DO NOT mix the drinks to be MORE than the specified concentration of carbs - repeat after me.... DO NOT.... :)

DO NOT take anything in a race you have not tried out in training - both in quantity/rate and manufacturer - trust me on this - explosive diahorrea mid race will not make you any friends....

Should work just fine - remember that you also want to be taking about 500ml fluid per hour (at about 75kg), and you can go a bit dry - so - plan on using 2 full bottles over the 4 hours - no stops - just spread out the drinking evenly - every 10 min or so a small amount. Better to be slightly thirsty at the end of the ride than have to make a pee stop...

DO NOT mix the drinks to be MORE than the specified concentration of carbs - repeat after me.... DO NOT.... :)

DO NOT take anything in a race you have not tried out in training - both in quantity/rate and manufacturer - trust me on this - explosive diahorrea mid race will not make you any friends....

Quality advice as always  :thumbup:

Wise man!

Thanks for sharing the info! 

If you eating and drinking carbs during the race, most carb drinks can be mixed half strength. I find it's easier on the taste buds and stomach.

If you eating and drinking carbs during the race, most carb drinks can be mixed half strength. I find it's easier on the taste buds and stomach.

You can reduce the strenght if the taste does not suit you - but don't go the other way...

There is a relationship between osmolatity, glucose consentration (and a few other things) and fluid uptake (Bosch, Noakes et al) - so there is a sweet spot ito fluid vs carb uptake - certainly if it is very hot I would consider dropping the carb content a bit and upping the intake rate - but there is no perfect answer...

AND - if you are not working at near max intensities, there is no need to go anywhere near 1g/kg/hour - then taste and fluid intake become more important - especially on longer low intensity days in the heat (6 hours plus)

If out there for more than 4 hours then I would recommend stopping and refilling bottles and grabbing whatever is on offer to eat. Personally I prefer liquids or sweets and stay away from biltong, nuts, meat etc. 

on Sunday for the Shova I ate a lot. But I didn't feel flat for a minute so it worked.

I burnt 3100cal, and the below is probably closer to 3500cal. Did some calculations on Saturday but don't have that on me now.

Bowl of Rolled oats + honey + Tbl spoon of peanut butter for breakfast

2 pancakes with Nutella on route to PMB

1 Cadence carbofuel bar in the start pens.

On ride

2 x high 5 energy bars

2 x cadence carbo fuel bars

2 baby potatoes

3 cadence gels

2 bottles of cadence marathon

This sounds about right. When I used to use a HRM that measured calories it said around 3,500 for a race. I guess one has some cal in storage too?

Like HBO.....Find out what works for you.

For myself. Usually Have 50-100g of Cooked oats. Depends on the ride or race I do.

For a race: 2 x Racefood bars

1 x Nak'd Bars

1 or 2 Goos

Maybe a banana

1 x Bottle water and one 1 x High 5 Race mix

best is to make sure you fuel the day before.Train your body to eat while training and it becomes easier on race day.

On Sunday I was on a 65km training ride, after my oats breakfast and 35km under the pedals I felt a bit like going home.....instead of jelly babies I tried a PVM energy bar and big difference...maybe placebo effect but it worked.

on Sunday for the Shova I ate a lot. But I didn't feel flat for a minute so it worked.

I burnt 3100cal, and the below is probably closer to 3500cal. Did some calculations on Saturday but don't have that on me now.

Bowl of Rolled oats + honey + Tbl spoon of peanut butter for breakfast

2 pancakes with Nutella on route to PMB

1 Cadence carbofuel bar in the start pens.

On ride

2 x high 5 energy bars

2 x cadence carbo fuel bars

2 baby potatoes

3 cadence gels

2 bottles of cadence marathon

Sounds like a Barmitzvah on wheels

Wise old man!

Thanks for sharing the info!

Fixed, most wise men are old just saying Edited by DIPSLICK