[Event] Carnival City Macsteel National Classic

Frosty

That accident was terrible.

I've seen a photo of the one car and the debris on the road, and heard a few versions of the incident. So sad, but yet another unnecessary loss of life because of negative driving habits.

Can't imagine what would have happened if it was involving race participants.

The road was cleared one minute before the Elite convey passed by, and we knew about it from 06:02.

As for the Elite and VA "mess"... I spoke to the officials to get their version, and have heard versions from a few riders. A solution going forward is a larger gap between the group, which may happen at all future GP events. That means back to the 125 route, or an earlier start for the Elites. One change has a number of implications that all need to be considered.

@Long Wheel Base - do you want the email address to send your complaint? [emoji38]

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That accident was terrible.

I've seen a photo of the one car and the debris on the road, and heard a few versions of the incident. So sad, but yet another unnecessary loss of life because of negative driving habits.

Can't imagine what would have happened if it was involving race participants.

The road was cleared one minute before the Elite convey passed by, and we knew about it from 06:02.

As for the Elite and VA "mess"... I spoke to the officials to get their version, and have heard versions from a few riders. A solution going forward is a larger gap between the group, which may happen at all future GP events. That means back to the 125 route, or an earlier start for the Elites. One change has a number of implications that all need to be considered.

@Long Wheel Base - do you want the email address to send your complaint? [emoji38]

@Long Wheel Base - do you want the email address to send your complaint? emoji38.png

:thumbup:

Not lekker, first race in 3 I have finish without a puncture, did my best 100k time today, well done Gerald and team.

Well done on doing your best 100k, there was no way I could have hung around hoping someone will feel sympathy and throw me a spare tube, riders were flying past. At least I could console myself with a cup of coffee from the coffee van at the start.

Seeing as the only part of this race I can comment on is getting there and parking, if I thought last years organization was well done this excelled it including the extra parking next to the hospitality area. Not sure where they found all the marshals but they were stationed all around the venue from Carnival Mall. 

I thought it was VA 225 He pushed me of Dean's wheel then tried the same with dean, dean pushed him away and he punched him on the jaw and dean went off the road. Sat in the bunch the whole day and with 2km left he wanted to sprint cut me off and even though i braked he still clipped my wheel.

When you start talking to him he gets aggressive...

Was a nice race I do feel robbed though

We passed the elites about or 9 km before the hotspot, they then slowed the elites down. with the hotspot the elites attacked and a small group came pas us. At that point the breakaway had 30 s on us.

They then neutralized the VA race because of 15 elites for 5 km but what about the breakaway?. When we got a gap update it was 3 1/2 minutes. Maybe the time delay between VA's and elites should be bigger, last year I was in elites when the va leading group came past us, but never luckily not the main peloton, it was choas

Other than that hard day out. Really does seem like in the VA's once an attack has formed they will win. Well that is what I have seen so far. Other than that it was a good race.

Pretty sure (almost certain) race number was 245. I was right behind them when they were throwing a punch/push each at each other. Well done to the other rider to keep cool after a light punch landed on the jaw. Could have caused a major accident if it had got more heated. Both riders shook hands 5 minutes later which was a nice gesture. But yes rider 245 was a total hazard out there.

Lol what did i tell you about not giving me bad luck regards punctures, got to the start batch only to find my rear wheel squishy, rushed back to the car to change tube and pump with my big pump, joined at the back just in time to make start, less than 5ks later I felt the dreaded squishy feel again but unfortunately I'd already used my spare tube, started walk back when some guy in bakkie stopped and gave me a lift.  

2nd race I've ever started and not finished  :(

Glad you had a good ride.

Eish.... my bad.....Many apologies for the bad mojo passed on with the punctures...

Well you can feel good as I was cycling so hard to try find you i ended 5th in the EL batch..... 

As always, I need to give feedback to the race committee on Tuesday evening.

Let it out, and tell me the good and bad... with each of us place all round the route/base we don't get the overall picture and sometimes we miss something that happens at our points.

Gerald only feedback i have is around the timegaps between the elites and va. Last year we caught them too. (Or maybe the elites should start after the ladies ;)

You guys really did a superb job. Thank you for all the time and effort to make it a success. You guys do it for the love of the sport and it really comes through in the event.

I spoke to a few bike marshals after the Ride for Sight, and their immediate comment was that (some) cyclists would tell them to F*** off, when asked to move back left.

Everyone will be told at the start to keep left and listen to the bike marshals. They are there to help keep the cyclists "safe".

Ignorant cyclists have been warned and will be DQ'd, if need be. That's the commissaires job though.

Hope it doesn't come to that.

Here is the response to my complaint about VP bunch riders at Ride for Sight on the right hand lane....waiting for CSA to let me know exactly who was DQ!

Subject: RE: RIght hand lane cyclists in road races - Dischem Ride for Sight

Hi All.

We as the Road Rangers Bike marshals have over a bunch of years reported this type of behaviour . Unfortunately our hands are cut off in dealing with this. The race commissar was notified about this as it happened and as we are not certified race commissars can only report and not enforce this .Our main goal should this occur is to request cyclists to keep left,  if they do not respond we then take the law into our own hands at a huge risk to ourselves and ride ahead of these bunches on the wrong side of the road and warn oncoming traffic. Provincial traffic dept. has given us strict instruction to abide by all rules of the road ,which we try our utmost to enforce.

This group in particular was later after being instructed by the officials that should this persist they would be disqualified , this only lasted a short time and the cyclists went along as if nothing happened.

I emphasise that it is for the main race commissar to instruct all cyclists as he or she is the only person to disqualify the culprits.

I hope this in a way answers your query?

Regards

Craig

Chairman

Road Rangers

One question, what gives the locals the idea that cyclist has tons of Choc-o-lates?

Their parents & their thought of getting free things from public at all time...

On this note, do thank the marshals (at least 2 of them in vehicle & in various spots) who were keeping an eye on "the locals".

Edit: spelling

This is going to bite me in the @$$ :  Seems common practice for A bunch guys to drop down or back to the slower bunches, then win those bunches.. I totally understand helping mates out to up seeding, but contesting for the podium is Just Rude .. should time penalties be added or??? reduced indexes?  its wasted spaces that other guys could have filled  :eek:

last 10 kms a guy went between 2 trucks , sat in their slipstream and we watched him fade into the distance as we were dying in the headwind, my phone was soaked from the rain so no photo, I only caught last 2 digits 21, yellow top

Just a recommendation... water point on a slight drag if possible, the high speeds just made guys waste water sachets, i eventually grabbed one for a cyclist who smashed 10 to the floor. (bike skills I Know)

Kudos on a brilliant event Gerald, i think your seeding is spot on.. guys in C bunch were very competitive .. it made for lots of fun. I actually found myself racing and not just riding. Faith restored in Cycling  :clap:

On this note, do thank the marshals (at least 2 of them in vehicle & in various spots) who were keeping an eye on "the locals".

Edit: spelling

Now that is an improvement we have been trying to get right for a few years... Thanks to the CPF (think it was Dinwiddie)

I'd like to get some race reports please, otherwise I'm going to put in a complaint... not sure who to

Archived