Your opinion - cycling town in Western Cape

Scooterza

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey all

I am thinking of making a big change in my life.  Looking at moving from the big smoke.  

I don't want to move to Cape Town itself.  But looking to find a place that fits these requirements:

• Within 1 to max 2 hours drive of Cape Town
  • Awesome cycling in the area.  I am thinking specifically off road but also on road would be great
  • On the tourist trail would be great
  • Town that has the basics including decent schools for kids
  • Happening place with happening people!  

Suggestions most appreciated!

Cheers

I'm guessing work is not an issue - ie. you just need internet? if you work in toursim, then garden route is probably a better option for year round busyness without being in the big smoke.

If you wanna go get some countryside feel, then I would look at riebeek kasteel, greyton or even montagu(not sure about school there). 

Hermanus in December is a nightmare.

Correction: Hermanus during 0700 and 0900, every frikken morning the traffic is a nightmare.Worse during weekends, festivals and December holidays. 

Hermanus is a very small town and probably quiet as well. Also a lot further out.

When last were you in Hermanus?

It's been a long time since it could be called a small town. It is bursting from the seams, traffic is hectic, and then you are not even in the holiday / festival seasons.

When last were you in Hermanus?

It's been a long time since it could be called a small town. It is bursting from the seams, traffic is hectic, and then you are not even in the holiday / festival seasons.

yeah, this. Hermanus is NOT quiet. It was, 3 years ago. Not any more...

Somerset West. Moved down here from Randburg 6 years ago, and couldn't be happier. Mountains, beaches, wine farms all on your doorstep. Close enough to CT. Great schools. We are pretty spoilt for choice regarding Mtb trails, with Jonkershoek and Elgin/Grabouw all within 25min drive.

I'm guessing work is not an issue - ie. you just need internet? if you work in toursim, then garden route is probably a better option for year round busyness without being in the big smoke.

If you wanna go get some countryside feel, then I would look at riebeek kasteel, greyton or even montagu(not sure about school there). 

There is buggerall in Greyton except mountains restaurants and roses

My pick in town would be Simonstown and out of town Rooi Els or Melkbos

Scarborough...where we lived for 10 years is out of bounds due to the scab Masepumalele

Scarborough...where we lived for 10 years is out of bounds due to the scab Masepumalele

Simon's Town ??

There is no school. It is an old age home by the sea.

The town itself is beautiful!!

I'd rather live in a tent in Greyton than in a mansion in Simons Town

Simon's Town ??

There is no school. It is an old age home by the sea.

The town itself is beautiful!!

There is since I was educated there. That said it may since have gone backwards.

The OP might not find the South Peninsula to his liking.

Somerset West is lekker despite Slowbee's 'ahem' protesting. He's just not wanting to share.

Guest notmyname

Correction: Hermanus during 0700 and 0900, every frikken morning the traffic is a nightmare.Worse during weekends, festivals and December holidays.

It's a pity man. It's actually a rad spozzy. I'll spend a week there during December but I'm doing ALL the shopping in Sedgefield.

:clap:

It's a pity man. It's actually a rad spozzy. I'll spend a week there during December but I'm doing ALL the shopping in Sedgefield.

I'd rather live in a tent in Greyton than in a mansion in Simons Town

Be my guest...you will fry your brains in summer and freeze your goolies off in winter

My sister has a guest house there when you need some decent accomodation.

Archived