What's the Truth? Lubricant Sprays and Fork/Shock Seals

Odinson

This is true. However, when you wash your bike you remove the oil that sits on the surface of the stanchions, so the for the first few cycles they run unlubricated through the seals. Using a stanchion lube after washing sorts this out.

Using stanchion lube to avoid servicing your fork is just a waste of time.

noted...you are the pro. I will add a little castrol to an earbud after a wash and lube around seals. 

:thumbup:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Key is in what you posted earlier about the molecular make up and the length of that chain.

Longer chains are less susceptible to polymerization whereas shorter chains are. then is its state a solid, semi-solid or liquid at room temperature.

So the solid can be used as additive to a lubricant, the liquids can be used as a lubricant and high temperature hydraulic oil (DoT 5 Brake Fluid : Note not DoT 5.1)

200.gif

Key is in what you posted earlier about the molecular make up and the length of that chain.

Longer chains are less susceptible to polymerization whereas shorter chains are. then is its state a solid, semi-solid or liquid at room temperature.

So the solid can be used as additive to a lubricant, the liquids can be used as a lubricant and high temperature hydraulic oil (DoT 5 Brake Fluid : Note not DoT 5.1)

So by just considering the description of the products as copied verbatim from the good old Interwebalaxy (references included because I am to dof for all the big name stuff), which product of the two mentioned (Finish Line vs Q8) will you choose?

to be honest neither.

since the family of siloxanes is quite broad and not knowing what the end groups are I wouldn't hazard a guess as to which is better.

I'd rather just stick to using the suspension oil that was used in the fork.

PS: What I will say is the the Finishline product with fluoropolymers wouldn't even enter my thoughts. I don't want lose PTFE particles floating around in my stanchion lube. That stuff can create havoc with some oils

Edited by raptor-22

I'm not sure putting anything on the stanchions is a good idea, dust magnet comes to mind.

On my Fox forks all i do is try keep them in the same condition as when I bought the bike....i.e. clean and dry.

EDIT: And they have never leaked or got sticky

Wipe them down before a ride paying attention to the top of the wiper lip where the dirt likes to collect. Also dry them properly after washing before working the fork.

As always follow the instructions of the fork manufacturer... i seem to remember my old SID's needed lubing...not externaly on the stanchion but the foam ring above the seal which is meant to be a way of keeping the stanchion lubed before it passes through the seal, dunno if Rock shox still use this method...

Edited by SwissVan

to be honest neither.

since the family of siloxanes is quite broad and not knowing what the end groups are I wouldn't hazard a guess as to which is better.

I'd rather just stick to using the suspension oil that was used in the fork.

Thanks.

Going to use the remaining Q8 then on MTB shoes........keeps them water-resistant and shiny

I'm not sure putting anything on the stanchions is a good idea, dust magnet comes to mind.

On my Fox forks all i do is try keep them in the same condition as when I bought the bike....i.e. clean and dry.

EDIT: And they have never leaked or got sticky

Wipe them down before a ride paying attention to the top of the wiper lip where the dirt likes to collect. Also dry them properly after washing before working the fork.

As always follow the instructions of the fork manufacturer... i seem to remember my old SID's needed lubing...not externaly on the stanchion but the foam ring above the seal which is meant to be a way of keeping the stanchion lubed before it passes through the seal, dunno if Rock shox still use this method...

Fox stanchions tend to scatch/wear out much quicker than RS. Surely using oil to remove extra dirt and lubing will help to reduce the scratching of Fox stanchions.

excess lube attracts dirt

dirt scratches the stanchion if not wiped away by the wiper seal.

Seems that its perhaps best to just wipe down with a lint free cloth and let the seals take care of the rest

Fox stanchions tend to scatch/wear out much quicker than RS. Surely using oil to remove extra dirt and lubing will help to reduce the scratching of Fox stanchions.

Welll.... i dunno i have never had a stanchion that needs to be replaced...yet.

In my experience the fork that needed the most maintenance (as in seal / bush replacement) was my old SID's..a real pain in the arse.

My logic tells me that excessive dirt accumulating on the stanchion will increase the likelihood of scratching and wear... adding a lubricant or something to the external parts of a stanchion just increases the amount of particles (dirt) that will accumulate on it...some of this dirt will get stuck in / under the wiper and start scratching / wearing the stanchion every time it moves...

I'd rather keep the external stanchion as God the manufacturer intended it...clean and lube free.

Welll.... i dunno i have never had a stanchion that needs to be replaced...yet.

In my experience the fork that needed the most maintenance (as in seal / bush replacement) was my old SID's..a real pain in the arse.

My logic tells me that excessive dirt accumulating on the stanchion will increase the likelihood of scratching and wear... adding a lubricant or something to the external parts of a stanchion just increases the amount of particles (dirt) that will accumulate on it...some of this dirt will get stuck in / under the wiper and start scratching / wearing the stanchion every time it moves...

I'd rather keep the external stanchion as God the manufacturer intended it...clean and lube free.

Yeah I always just wiped clean the Fox stanchion and the scratches started to appear after 2 years of not too heavy use. So then I started using Brunox which I am hoping will keep my new fork scratch-free for longer.

No spray comes near my stanchions, Not even if Bruno himself uses it as a deodorant. Pulling the lowers to change gears the oil is easy enough, so I do that as soon as the fork feels less lekker. 5yeats later and the stanchions still look new, and I have become quite in tune with my bike and fork needs wrt servicing.

Putting the bike upside down every now and then will also splash some fork oil on the foam rings to keep things lekker slippery.

noted...you are the pro. I will add a little castrol to an earbud after a wash and lube around seals.

[emoji106]

I prefer to just make sure there is correct oil level in the lowers. Once or twice a week when I lift up the bike to put it in my truck, the fork is inverted. Oil then gravitates to the foam ring and wiper which then lubes the seal while I ride. Job done.

So by just considering the description of the products as copied verbatim from the good old Interwebalaxy (references included because I am to dof for all the big name stuff), which product of the two mentioned (Finish Line vs Q8) will you choose?

Neither. Silicone oils coat the surfaces of rubbers. They make it shiny and look good but dont necessarily soak in. For that you need good old hydrocarbons.....

Yeah I always just wiped clean the Fox stanchion and the scratches started to appear after 2 years of not too heavy use. So then I started using Brunox which I am hoping will keep my new fork scratch-free for longer.

If you didn't service the fork in 2 years the problem wasn't that you didn't lube the stanchions...

I use Brunox after every ride and I just cant see how leaving all the muck that it lifts out in there can be a good thing. And I have seen how quickly it sctracthes without using Brunox. It is this muck that scratches the stanchion I think Fox wants to sell more forks quicker.

If you didn't service the fork in 2 years the problem wasn't that you didn't lube the stanchions...

Yes well I did service the fork regularly, Fox stanchions are known to scratch.