The I-Team

tombeej

So collected my mtb pack today and drove down that first climb out of riversands. Called Mbendi climb on strava. Didn't realise how long it is and comes in at 4.2%. Not too steep but legs are cold

What is the groups strategy w.r.t that climb? That is my warmup. I don't warmup too well.

And strategy out of corners. Usually in Uncoordinated bunches, guys hammer out of corners.

Edit: spelling

I'll let Tombeej et al field the direct questions, but......

.....my plan for warm-up is to take a trainer in the car and warm up in the parking area. 15 mins or so of light pedalling with a couple of minutes of race pace to get switched on, should help make Pooks Hill (if we're talking about same) a bit more bearable. Yes I'll look a bit strange and I hope the inevitable chirps are good ones, but I'll be the one who's smiling......

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be sitting behind you guys for the first 30 - 40 km, you'll be pulling me :).

That first hill is called Pooks Hill, and to be honest the only way to get up there is as quickly as possible while remaining together. 

The start of a race is always going to be full of adrenalin, nerves, excitement and a little too much enthusiasm. So it always ends up being guns blazing, but we need to keep looking around for each other in the melee, stay together, and once we've gone over the top onto that flatter section we can then settle down and have the stronger riders lead the way in an orderly fashion.

I'll sit at the back and make sure we don't leave anyone behind. If people do fall off I'll be there to pace them back on again. So basically I'll be the groups 'sweep'.

I'll let Tombeej et al field the direct questions, but......

.....my plan for warm-up is to take a trainer in the car and warm up in the parking area. 15 mins or so of light pedalling with a couple of minutes of race pace to get switched on, should help make Pooks Hill (if we're talking about same) a bit more bearable. Yes I'll look a bit strange and I hope the inevitable chirps are good ones, but I'll be the one who's smiling......

That's a very good plan. 

I presume everybody in this group has a similar ability when it comes to racing. Not necessarily the strategy and know how as such, just the fact that we all are capable of riding an average speed of around 32km/h for the duration. Yes?

I'll be sitting behind you guys for the first 30 - 40 km, you'll be pulling me :).

That first hill is called Pooks Hill, and to be honest the only way to get up there is as quickly as possible while remaining together. 

The start of a race is always going to be full of adrenalin, nerves, excitement and a little too much enthusiasm. So it always ends up being guns blazing, but we need to keep looking around for each other in the melee, stay together, and once we've gone over the top onto that flatter section we can then settle down and have the stronger riders lead the way in an orderly fashion.

I'll sit at the back and make sure we don't leave anyone behind. If people do fall off I'll be there to pace them back on again. So basically I'll be the groups 'sweep'.

Each us must just hold onto the wheel of our teammate in front and not let gaps open up so that other riders start mixing in among us.

On my morning ride today, I had an idea. I try and avoid them, but sometimes I fail.

(Admin are you paying attention?).

Wouldn't it by mighty fine for us all to have the same jerseys? Would help team identification and assist with someone's developing business via advertising (Admin, we're over here....).

There must be a box of former TheHub tops sitting in someone's office that need to be written off and donated to the cause??

(Admin.....just saying.....)

I presume everybody in this group has a similar ability when it comes to racing. Not necessarily the strategy and know how as such, just the fact that we all are capable of riding an average speed of around 32km/h for the duration. Yes?

And that's where (my) the wheels come off!

I assume (cue up the jokes...) that if you were originally seeded in I, then 32 kph average, isn't on the cards. Ie someone quoted last year's I-group sub-3 finishers to be a handful. BUT committed teamwork could pull one up....... 

Pay attention to the wind forecast (if any), and start on the appropriate side of the road. Prevailing winds in this part of the world have N and W in them, be that WNW, NW, NNW or N, so you'd want to position yourself on the right side of the bunch when going up Pooks Hill (Mbendi Drive).

Don't know which way the wind is blowing? There should be plenty banner flags flying on the day.

Each us must just hold onto the wheel of our teammate in front and not let gaps open up so that other riders start mixing in among us.

My gut is that Pooks Hill will be a litmus and when we get to the top of it, we'll have a far better idea what the plan needs to be from then on.....

To rain-jacket, or not to rain-jacket, that is the question.......

Not, I would guess

Hasn't been a "wet one" since 2006.

Edited by geraldm24