The I-Team

tombeej

One thing not mentioned is if we get cross winds. The guys moving back usually ride on the side from which the wind is coming giving the guys moving up shelter. We might need to watch for that

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So if you are going to do pacelines rather than rolling turns, there is one tip that I can make to make things work more smoothly:

(This only applies to pacelines because if you are doing rolling turns it's not possible to get it wrong)

You want to have the person who has just taken a turn to move off and back, rather than the person who is going to take a turn to move to the front from the middle or back of the group. This helps keeps the speed more constant. 

When you have the person who has just taken a turn to move off and back then it is really easy for the person who was on 2nd wheel now taking the lead to simply maintain the speed.

But when you have the person who is going to take a turn to move to the front, that person first has to accelerate to move to the front, then they need to slow down to match the speed of the group. Doing this is very tricky. What typically happens is this person does not slow down, and everyone else has to also accelerate to match them.

So how does the group make sure this happens in the right way:

1. If you are sitting in the bunch, and you think the people at the front of the group have been there too long, and you are itching to take a turn, don't accelerate to move to the front, rather shout a loud "CHANGE", so that the people at the front know it's time. If you are sitting further back in the group, you just need to wait for your turn.
  2. If you find your self at 2nd wheel, and the person on the front has taken their turn, and moves over, or gives you the elbow wave, then you must roll through to the front.  If you are tired then just take a short turn (or very short turn) but you must roll through. If you don't, then someone else from further back in the group has to then move up in front, and you have up set the cart. Cue accelerations.

(Hope this is all clear....)

Edited by GaryvdM

Rolling turns: video #1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbqZCrqV_wE

Watch how 'tight' they stay, i.e. they don't let gaps form in the lines - both the line moving forward and the line moving back.

The guy coming through to the front doesn't accelerate (just keeps to the groups constant pace), and when he 'swaps off' to the left he takes his foot off the gas just enough to allow the next person to roll through easily at the groups constant pace.

At one stage you see one of the guys in the video getting out of his saddle while doing his turn on the front. He's not accelerating, he's actually just trying to keep that constant pace as they go over a tiny bump. So on rolling terrain, to keep the pace constant, in the I-Team we'll need to take this into account: i.e. if you're going over a little rise you have a responsibility on the front to keep the group pace up, and that might mean getting out of the saddle to stop the group from slowing.

Absolutely mesmeric. Nice use of the solid white line to guide them - and in live traffic to keep them alive! 

Communication... got it!

I'd suggest you watch some Shrek DVDs to better understand me on the day......

Why? Do you sound like a Donkey? :whistling:

Edited by Mastodon

One thing not mentioned is if we get cross winds. The guys moving back usually ride on the side from which the wind is coming giving the guys moving up shelter. We might need to watch for that

Ja, if the weather forecast closer to the time says there's going to be wind, then we'll need to go over how to ride in an echelon.

Ja, if the weather forecast closer to the time says there's going to be wind, then we'll need to go over how to ride in an echelon.

And all the new to bunch riding and MTB only chaps just went;

Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot??...

:ph34r:  :ph34r:  :whistling:

Yip, basically. But one important distinction: in a pace line or rolling turns you never run out of road. With echelons you do, and that becomes a life or death thing for people trying to hold on in a crosswind. The bigger the group the bigger the problem. And because of this, I'd say we might need to seriously consider adopting a zero tolerance policy for outsiders.

With full road closure I think we could easily fit 22 - 24 riders in an echelon (most definitely on the M1). But if our group is too big with other hangers-on, I'd rather we stick to working for each other and shell anyone else not part of the team. Would definitely want to avoid having us split into 2 groups that are mixed with other non-team riders. We'll lose each other very quickly and become impossible to keep the team together.

Man, I'm looking forward to the post race review! (Who's riding with a gopro to get some moving pics?)

I admire the effort you guys are putting into this ahead of the race! Hoping you have at least 4 core chaps who know each other and already ride together like this even infrequently, as it's going to be chaos to orchestrate on the day with a massive group of strangers for at least the first 15 minutes! You'll need a strong 'ride captain' who will make the sub 3 time easily and is interested in keeping your motley crew together for as long as it keeps to your time gaps who will keep everyone interested in doing this to play their part to achieve cohesion! (and 'tjoon' those who don't!) Works like a charm when you pull it off!!!!

This thread and your efforts at the 94.7 will have me following the events on the day! Best wishes for a large contingent of sub 3's and PBs!!!! 

Edited by Tubehunter

In my mind I was ignoring the bad because I really really wanted to be part of I-team. I would have pushed through the shoulder pain to just even join for a few kms but today I got told to stay off the bike for 2 months. 

THIS was the year I actually road my bike/trained before the event and I really think that sub3 would have been possible with you guys.

If someone wants an entry contact me...  

I'll definitely be there on the day before and after to cheer the I-team! 

Edited by hayleyearth

In my mind I was ignoring the bad because I really really wanted to be part of I-team. I would have pushed through the shoulder pain to just even join for a few kms but today I got told to stay off the bike for 2 months. 

THIS was the year I actually road my bike/trained before the event and I really think that sub3 would have been possible with you guys.

If someone wants an entry contact me...  

I'll definitely be there on the day before and after to cheer the I-team! 

Ag NO! Was banking on you being the camera crew! 

Eishhhhh, the leg, now the shoulder! Healing vibes and extra beers!!!!

Come race the 'August' and keep the fitness efforts up on the stationary bike!