The I-Team

tombeej

This thread has been opened for the people who'll be hopping on the I-Train at the 94.7 Cycle Challenge.

A place to discuss all the tactics & techniques needed for bunch riding so that we can help each other reach our target times, our plans for how we're going to get together on the day, race together and have some fun along the way.

The main 'I' batch is getting pretty big now, but the riders who've said they're joining the actual I-Team are as follows:

1. BarefootDave
2. Basil Brush
3. bmw1za
4. bored_girl

5. BouncingBrain

6. Cadre
7. & 8. Carpet +1

9. CASSIE1975

10. Diggers

11. Dirt De Vil

12. doeffels

13 & 14. Cav +1

15. clivem

16. Craig 26
17. & 18. Fat Boab +1

19. eddyr
20. Firozfx

21. HappyMartin

22. hayleyearth
23. Lurch
24. monkey on a bianchi
25. morne1600

26. Patchelicious

27. Prince

28. Rob K
29. Rob Mortimer

30. Ryan's dad

31. Sandro
32. & 33. shaper +1
34. ScottC-M
35. StevieL
36. tombeej

37. wernerhp

38. Zaskar

Edited by tombeej

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread has been opened for the people who'll be hopping on the I-Train at the 94.7 Cycle Challenge.

A place to discuss all the tactics & techniques needed for bunch riding so that we can help each other reach our target times, our plans for how we're going to get together on the day, race together and have some fun along the way.

The main 'I' batch is getting pretty big now, but the riders who've said they're joining the actual I-Team are as follows:

1. Basil Brush
2. bmw1za
3. CASSIE1975
4. Craig 26
5. HappyMartin
6. hayleyearth
7. Lurch
8. monkey on a bianchi
9. Prince
10. Sandro
11. ScottC-M
12. shaper +1
13. StevieL
14. tombeej

Undecided:
1. bored_girl
2. Catatonic_Joe
3. Cav'

Best put me on the undecided list, please. I'll have a chat with myself on this Sunday's run.....

I really like the idea using cable ties on the helmet. That way we can do it at home and while making our way to the "rendezvous" we can easily identify anyone else doing likewise.

For those whom don't have cable ties let me know and i will bring some with the stickers

I really like the idea using cable ties on the helmet. That way we can do it at home and while making our way to the "rendezvous" we can easily identify anyone else doing likewise.

For those whom don't have cable ties let me know and i will bring some with the stickers

Agreed, like the idea too. 

Do I understand correctly ....

I am taking over an I batch entry, this will result in a re-seed and re-allocation, but if I ride on the original entry name I remain in I batch

Not particularly concerned with an official result and time - I know what I did after all

Do I understand correctly ....

I am taking over an I batch entry, this will result in a re-seed and re-allocation, but if I ride on the original entry name I remain in I batch

Not particularly concerned with an official result and time - I know what I did after all

From what I understand (and I stand to be corrected), it doesn't matter what batch the original entry was for. They will seed you according to your own official seeding index on the system.

From what I understand (and I stand to be corrected), it doesn't matter what batch the original entry was for. They will seed you according to your own official seeding index on the system.

That's how I understand it. Plus if you're reseeded ahead of I, you can start later - no problem. But if you start earlier than your allocated time, you get penalised (I think last year was a 90 min penalty on Racetec?). I don't know if the marshalls would pull you in the start pens - it seemed chaotic enough last year to not be spotted?

I think the organisers take a dim view of people riding on someone else's number. I think it relates to the rider info that's 'attached' to the number (next of kin, medical aid etc) as well as, probably, disclaimer issues? If they catch you, I don't know what the penalty is? Anyone?

How do they know I am not the guy doing the number collection?

For sure, the system is nowhere near water-tight and relies on trust...afaik.

From http://www.cyclechallenge.co.za/TermsandConditions

8. No participant MAY sell their number, or allow anyone else to ride under that number. Should a participant be in breach of this, she/he will be immediately disqualified and banned from participating in the Cycle Challenge for 5 years. No protest will be entertained in this regard. A participant may organise a substitution with the Race Office which can be done for a fee of R150.00. The original entry fee will not be refunded. The person who is being substituted will have their number removed from the database and a new number will be allocated. Seeding will be according to the new participant’s individual seeding index.

5 year ban. They seem to take this very seriously!

OK

Not a roadie though, so have no seeding, will that mean I will go off right at the back of the field?

As far as I know, if requested, they do consider MTB race results.