The I-Team

tombeej

Bud, what do you think the target time would be for the 70km point?

I would say between 2h06 to 2h10 to allow for those last few pigs of hills.

From experience there is nothing worse than seeing your 3 hour come and go when you are in sight of the finish line. Rather push that little bit more on the flats and downhills leading up to this point. Not so easy to make up time on a hill with 80km in your weary legs.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If we look at the split time calculator is says in the region on 2H12.

On Strava there is a segment called "947 race on to finish" which is the last 22km covering the 5 hills. Add your last years time to the 2:12 and see how close you are to 3hours.

BELOW IS THE "BETTER" (as I got it from the other 94.7 Fred)...hope it helps us on race day :thumbup:

Hr Min               Target Time 3 0 Avg Speed 31.3    

1 Heartbreak Hill - 13.0km's 0:24:53   

2 M1 South Marlboro Dr Bridge - 27.0km's 0:52:20

3 St Johns school on Joe Slovo Drive - 38.0km's 1:13:24     

4 Nelson Mandela Bridge Queen Elizabeth junction - 48.2km's 1:30:35

5 Jan Smuts and Bompas Rd (Dunkeld Centre) - 55.6km's 1:43:04

6 Bram Fischer Homestead Peter Place Intersection - 62.8km's 1:55:28    

7 Witkoppen right into NewmarketRd intersection - 73.4km's 2:15:22    

8 Klein Jukskei river (Lowest Point) - Cedar Rd - 84.6km's 2:38:44    

9 Finish at Riverside - 94.0km's 2:59:59                      

Edited by CASSIE1975

If we look at the split time calculator is says in the region on 2H12.

On Strava there is a segment called "947 race on to finish" which is the last 22km covering the 5 hills. Add your last years time to the 2:12 and see how close you are to 3hours.

3:10... 

How's the shoulder coming along Hayley?

Are you going to be able to ride?

Will get it taped tomorrow (currently in a sling) and then feel how it feels on Saturday. 

Will get it taped tomorrow (currently in a sling) and then feel how it feels on Saturday. 

We're holding thumbs for you for a speedy recovery...you're going to have to drag the rest of us 95km around JHB... ;)

We're holding thumbs for you for a speedy recovery...you're going to have to drag the rest of us 95km around JHB... ;)

You planning a ride this weekend? 

Your pace or are you taking your sis out?

You planning a ride this weekend? 

Your pace or are you taking your sis out?

"taking your sis out" - I'd like to categorically state I don't date my sister, haha. :P

I'm planning to ride. I think she said something about plans with her friends so I don't think she's riding.

You're welcome to ride with me if you like, any pace.

3:10... 

Which was your original target time.

Mine would be 3:12 as it took me exactly 60min to do that stretch, but I was riding solo. So even if I can just hold onto the group till the 70km mark should be able to limp home below my original target time of 3:15.

I do however see the value in trying to give us a little bit of breathing space by aiming for 2:06 - 2:10. We must just not push to hard and end up overreaching, as to achieve this time we would need to be doing an avg of 33km/h up to that point.

Just my 2c, will leave it up to the experience guy who's who have done plenty of sub3's before to enlighten me as how they think it would be best to proceed.

Which was your original target time.

Mine would be 3:12 as it took me exactly 60min to do that stretch, but I was riding solo. So even if I can just hold onto the group till the 70km mark should be able to limp home below my original target time of 3:15.

I do however see the value in trying to give us a little bit of breathing space by aiming for 2:06 - 2:10. We must just not push to hard and end up overreaching, as to achieve this time we would need to be doing an avg of 33km/h up to that point.

Just my 2c, will leave it up to the experience guy who's who have done plenty of sub3's before to enlighten me as how they think it would be best to proceed.

My initial target was also 3:10-3:15, but HEY...I will give it a bash :thumbup:  if the wheels come off at some stage, we can limp home together

You guys will easily do it

as long as everyone works together and no attacks etc.

I recently started racing A batch ,and to be honest it's the counter attacks that tires me out, I reckon if any bunch can work together without any tactics the whole time ,they would be a lot faster overall

Good luck guys!

Please add me to the I group. I'm in H but will drop back for a group ride. Last year did a 3h33 solo. Suffered in steyn city. Hoping for low 3 hour. Did 2h53 emperors, 3h10 tour durban and 3h09 race for victory. Am not a climber but can pull the group on flats and gentle inclines.