#becyclistaware

gummibear

It's pure insanity to ride anywhere on our roads. I've had my encounter with a car; luckily I walked away from that with only roasties and severe bruising, bike was a write-off - never again, I'm done. It's a numbers game, and your number WILL come up....

Now I keep to bike parks.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MM....thanks for the clarification about the N and M categorization.

I am familiar with all the roads you indicated and am aware that certain sections are maybe not classified as a freeway/highway, especially the N2 section past Mosselbay (and all those other nice small holiday destinations). The cyclist might know that certain sections are not falling under the legislation, but does the driver of a vehicle travelling between 70-120km/h know?

And that is where the dilemma lies. Sometimes you must think about the possibilities and assess the situation, instead of just assuming that all will follow the rules.

100%

I sure as hell wouldn't ride the M4. I used to, as part of an old club ride when I was in my teens, and then again on the Tour D'urban, but never again. The Durban drivers are, frankly, the worst in SA. 

It is thing whole road safety issue that has lead me to become to passionate about track cycling.  I would gladly ride my track bike, with a fixed gear, no brakes and a hub that cannot freewheel on a track which is a completely safe, controlled environment, that play russian roulette on the roads. 

Ive had my near misses by taxis, cars and the last one was a massive bus :eek:

Moving along........GB referred to increasing awareness........even for the guy who does not do the sport out of free will, but as a means of earning a living. In a vehicle you have a better chance of surviving a minor crash.......however, a minor crash between a cyclist and vehicle can be fatal.

Time for some "out-of-the-ordinary" awareness drive ideas.......or even just a commitment to support initiatives.

post-41755-0-72211200-1446636865_thumb.jpg

It's pure insanity to ride anywhere on our roads. I've had my encounter with a car; luckily I walked away from that with only roasties and severe bruising, bike was a write-off - never again, I'm done. It's a numbers game, and your number WILL come up....

Now I keep to bike parks.

You DEFINATELY should not drive in a car then.  :blink:  :thumbup: 

Numbers are bad there too. 

Some good points... It is a bloody war zone out there on the roads

I also cringe at how 'acceptable' it is for the average South African to have 4/5 beers and head home. Seen many a cyclist do it too.

Another line of thought:

SA's priority scale:

1. Education

2. Crime

3. Rape

4. Unemployment

5. Inequality

6. Cosatu

7. Taxis

8. Violence

9. Welfare

10. Russian Nuclear Deal

186: 300 cyclists mowed down by motorists a year

In my view, nothing is going to change anytime soon (this is not just a problem in SA for the record) - ride with eyes in the back of your head, ride defensively at all times (your rights on the road mean buggerall if you are dead), ride sensible routes, make yourself visible.

Be safe out there guys  :thumbup:

You probably miss 2a. Corruption.

If you fix half that list, the 300 cyclists will already be down to 100 cyclists without tackling it specifically.

MM....thanks for the clarification about the N and M categorization.

I am familiar with all the roads you indicated and am aware that certain sections are maybe not classified as a freeway/highway, especially the N2 section past Mosselbay (and all those other nice small holiday destinations). The cyclist might know that certain sections are not falling under the legislation, but does the driver of a vehicle travelling between 70-120km/h know?

And that is where the dilemma lies. Sometimes you must think about the possibilities and assess the situation, instead of just assuming that all will follow the rules.

If you stop asserting your rights because someone might not follow the rules, the ones not following the rules have already won.

You probably miss 2a. Corruption.

If you fix half that list, the 300 cyclists will already be down to 100 cyclists without tackling it specifically.

Wasn't a very well planned or thought out list... was just making a point  ;)

Agree - the general selfish behavior of most human beings is the root of many evils

If you stop asserting your rights because someone might not follow the rules, the ones not following the rules have already won.

Such a tough statement and valid in most situations.....but in this one it is not a question of winning or losing......rather staying alive.

But then again, the thread is about creating awareness......what is your contribution?

But then again, the thread is about creating awareness......what is your contribution?

I try to point out potholes to cars.

It's a tiny gesture.  I was accused by a car driver of cycling in the middle of the road (I was); and I decided to show why I was cycling in the middle of the road.

I figure this all starts with positive communication rather than road rage "communication".

As regards to my own safety, I understand the psychological and physiological reasons for "but I didn't see him" and I try to compensate for that.  For a lot of drivers the eyes see you fine, but the brain doesn't.

Such a tough statement and valid in most situations.....but in this one it is not a question of winning or losing......rather staying alive.

Yes, it is a tough statement.  And I will usually not stand up for my rights, I'm too much of a wuss.

It's not just a question of staying alive, though, it's also a question of living a life.  So sometimes -- just sometimes -- I will stand up.

Saw 2 chops on road bikes in rush hour traffic on Koegerg road, dicing with cars (and death) going through a red robot and shouting at motorists. Many cyclists on the road need to calm down and realize a 10kg bicycle is less than a speedbump to a 10 ton truck. Plus you making all of us look bad......

Calm down and stay off the main roads!

Tragic as it is, just another symptom of really dire state of driving culture in SA, in particular pointing to a pandemic of lethal attitude problems, like "I have a right of drive where I like and how how I like, get out of my way, I don't care if you die"

The only safe way to cycle on any SA road is not to. But if you must,,you have to be able to see traffic so you can avoid it. if this means riding on the 'wrong' side of the road, so be it. Personally I like to stick to the pavements where possible, which is also technically law breaking.

Archived