First Look Friday: Scott Genius Plus 720, Brunox Deo, Versus Socks

Iwan Kemp

Iwan, any feedback on the Brunox?

Just bought a can to address some stiction issues on my Pike, and from what I can see online the reviews are good.  Would like to see what you've experienced though.

Iwan, any feedback on the Brunox?

Just bought a can to address some stiction issues on my Pike, and from what I can see online the reviews are good.  Would like to see what you've experienced though.

Careful with using that sort of product for stiction issues - I'd suggest checking the oil levels in the lowers. The damper side only has 5ml of oil in it and when it runs dry the fork gets a bit sticky.

Just done a quote for a Pike stanchion replacement, and it's not a relaxing read.

It's a good product for post-wash on a fork though, and definitely does improve performance. Just don't try to use it as a substitute for proper routine maintenance.

Careful with using that sort of product for stiction issues - I'd suggest checking the oil levels in the lowers. The damper side only has 5ml of oil in it and when it runs dry the fork gets a bit sticky.

Just done a quote for a Pike stanchion replacement, and it's not a relaxing read.

It's a good product for post-wash on a fork though, and definitely does improve performance. Just don't try to use it as a substitute for proper routine maintenance.

Cold shivers is what that sentence gives me!

Fork is brand new. Got it in mid-May and has about 30 hours on it max.  It's not stiction as in, sticky.  I just expected a bit more in smoothness having read all the OMGEEEETHISISBETTERTHANSLICEDBREAD...

However, Droo, I suspect the bike was boxed for about a year at the shop before I bought it.  Is it possible that the oil "dried up" or the seals perished in that state without exposure to any riding or elements?

However, Droo, I suspect the bike was boxed for about a year at the shop before I bought it.  Is it possible that the oil "dried up" or the seals perished in that state without exposure to any riding or elements?

Yes... It also may have been under spec from the factory. Been known to happen, and some require services out the box, strangely. 

Stupid that it should, IMO. 

Fork is brand new. Got it in mid-May and has about 30 hours on it max.  It's not stiction as in, sticky.  I just expected a bit more in smoothness having read all the OMGEEEETHISISBETTERTHANSLICEDBREAD...

Hehe! Like Droo said I would rather have it looked at than try to solve what you mentioned in the Pike review thread with Brunox. Every single time I jumped on a Pike equipped bike (including brand new forks) they felt plush. There's always a bit of tweaking needed, but never felt not smooth - if that makes sense.

Brunox seems to work, but I'm not sure how much of that is down to the product and how much of it is down to regular proper cleaning. 

I have been using Brunox on one stanchion of my DVO and THIS on the other and will be able to report back when it goes for it's 12 month service. To be honest though, with the amount of review bikes ridden over the last couple of months my own ride does not see the same amount of action a usual ride will. So it's difficult to say for sure.

Yeah - mine had about 30 - 40h on it when it went in to Droo and needed to be topped up. Was completely dry. And I ride nowhere near as hard as you, so it probably went through far fewer cycles.