Miway insurance claim goes one way

streetfighter

A few years back I had a similar claim with AON. I was quite happy to get the frame repaired and resprayed as the crack really was nothing serious. They however insisted to replace the frame in order to avoid any future liability should the frame break.

Now that's a good Broker...

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now that's a good Broker...

HaHa well spotted - They are actualy Brokers, that's AON and very good ones as well. as far as I know they use mainly Santam and Old Mutual as underwriters. I am not associated or involved just a satisfied customer.

HaHa well spotted - They are actualy Brokers, that's AON and very good ones as well. as far as I know they use mainly Santam and Old Mutual as underwriters. I am not associated or involved just a satisfied customer.

Santam, M&F as well as Hollard on personal lines, but depending on your needs, they can get you almost any product, they are very good and take client service very seriously.

I'm with Outsurance.

Cracked my Alu bike frame where the seatpost goes into the frame in 2010.

Took my bike to my LBS, Outsurance assessor assessed the bike the next day, and the same day I got the news that the full insured amount will be in my account within 24hrs.

I still argued with the Outsurance rep, saying that its only the frame that's damaged, give me a new frame and I will have it rebuild. Got told they are paying me the insured amount, I can do what I want with it.

Well. I had me a new bike built up to my specs, still riding it today.

Offered Outsurance a pittance to buy the old bike back from them. Offer got accepted, but I then decided not to go ahead. Contacted Outsurance to ask them to come collect the old bike. After three months, no one collected the bike. I contacted them again, and got told that I could keep the bike and dispose of it as I see fit.

And as I was busy typing this, got a call from Outsurance. My Outbonus just shy of R2000.00 will be paid into my account on 28 December 2015. :clap:

B.T.W, I have both my Road and Mtb insured with them for a very reasonable premium.

Santam, M&F as well as Hollard on personal lines, but depending on your needs, they can get you almost any product, they are very good and take client service very seriously.

For my sins I was in the insurance industry for many years...mostly as an assessor/loss adjuster. Did a lot of work for all of the above ;)

I've been reading all these replies with a lot of interest....

For my sins I was in the insurance industry for many years...mostly as an assessor/loss adjuster. Did a lot of work for all of the above ;)

Ah so you are an "Impimpi" for the Insurance Companies. Taking down all our names... :ph34r:  :eek:

Ah so you are an "Impimpi" for the Insurance Companies. Taking down all our names... :ph34r:  :eek:

Bond......James Bond :ph34r:

And what are your thoughts?

also wondering how many times EmptyB coughed bu;;sh*t under his breath while reading our replies...

He is taking down all our names and giving it to them... Telling them that we are the Troublemakers... :ph34r:  :whistling:

Next the insurance coy's  are gonna ask us for our Hub handles when applying for bicycle insurance....

Thanx EmptyB ... Thanx a lot!!!

:w00t:  :w00t: :w00t:  

And I thought he was our Friend.. :ph34r:  :whistling:

Ja jeez....you just cant trust anyone you meet on the interwebs these days....

also wondering how many times EmptyB coughed bu;;sh*t under his breath while reading our replies...

Never fear guys....i would have strongly recommended the insurer replace the frame.

If you saw my first few replies, I have concerns about the structural integrity of the frame after being repaired. What guarantee does the repairer give on these repairs ( I dont know how bad the damage is, pics would be good).

I would have steered the insurer towards replacement to avoid any complications down the line. In my experience, repairs were never really satisfactory, repairers weren't prepared to give any worthwile guarantee and you end up with a very disgruntled customer who eventually gets the insurer to replace the frame in any event (after they have already paid out for repairs, shipment etc etc).

They obviously accepted liability so the bike was adequately and correctly covered....however, my view is repairs are not putting the insured back in the position he was prior to the accident unless some carbon repair guru can convince me otherwise and guarantee the repairs accordingly.

Also, replacing the frame prevents any comebacks and potential future claims that relate to the original accidents.

After replacing the frame, the insurers get to keep the salvage and do with it what they want. They would get a decent offer on it im sure....

Anyway, you get my point, settling the claim by replacing the frame prevents future hassles for the insurer and potential further costs....quite likely in the OP's case here too.

After my accident on raceday 24-10-15 at the CWC Derby Dash I've reported may first ever claim via e-mail to Miway. They've responded, and advise me to take my racebike to CWCycles to do the assessment, as they are the only assessor in Cape Town for Miway.

Rachel Lewis (rep) and Martinus (Manager) was unhappy with Chris Willemse's professional decision to have the frame replaced. With a lengthy discussion, the manager explain to me that fixing carbon frames is common practice and Miway need to manage their funds?

Hands tied Miway shipped my frame free of charge to Johannesburg to have another assessment done with who they've a better understanding

November 06, 14 days later the bad news arrived that my frame will be repaired and it will take another 14 to 18 days excluding shipping and assembly. I'm blown away by this and lost for words. Paid up coming events like DC and Burger now hanging on a thread and all I can do is maybe purchase another bicycle to compensate?

Hope is not a strategy but hope is all I had in my insurance Miway

claim no674753 R280 for R50 000 failed hopelessly

Hi there @streetfighter,

Thanks for taking the time to express your views around the outcome of your recent claim.

First off, we need to assure you that your safety following any repair to your bicycle is of utmost importance to us and that we will never knowingly place you in a position that could result in you incurring future harm.

With this said, we reiterate that the decision to repair your frame took careful consideration and expert advice. The damage to your frame was deemed superficial and it was confirmed that a repair would not influence the quality of the frame in any way. Should our expert have experienced any doubt around the integrity of the frame post-repair, we would rather have opted to replace the frame upfront.

Your frame is currently with a reputable carbon frame repairer and although we understand your passion for the sport and your eagerness to get back in the saddle, we encourage patience as the repair process is delicate and can be time-consuming – especially when ensuring a proper outcome.

While you wait, perhaps take a minute to read this article published by www.bicycling.co.za about repairs on carbon frames.

Please don’t hesitate to give us a call if you have any further questions or concerns – we’d be happy to chat!

Kind regards,

The MiWay Team

Archived