[Event] Absa Cape Epic

Absa Cape Epic

• Replies 689
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like about half the field... He is currently 187th. Not exactly bringing up the rear. It would be interesting to rank him amongst novice riders to see where he place eventually.

Point is you don't need expensive bikes, bike services, accommodation, massages, diet requirements, etc. to be able to finish an event like the epic if you have put in a bit of training (6 to 8 hrs a week if you don't want to finish high up in the field and to get your moneys worth spending a few more hrs out on the stages and wp).

You can still enjoy the epic by staying in the tents, looking after your own inexpensive bike with reliable parts, no massages, all this without breaking the bank accept of course the entry fee. Can't help having a lot more respect for these guys, even if they finish last.

There is also a fair ammount of them even finishing high up in GC as well! Let's not even mention the guy on the steel ssr 34x20, he's just bloody crazy!

So apologies for ruffling your feathers about Mr Kevin V

Point is you don't need expensive bikes, bike services, accommodation, massages, diet requirements, etc. to be able to finish an event like the epic if you have put in a bit of training (6 to 8 hrs a week if you don't want to finish high up in the field and to get your moneys worth spending a few more hrs out on the stages and wp).

You can still enjoy the epic by staying in the tents, looking after your own inexpensive bike with reliable parts, no massages, all this without breaking the bank accept of course the entry fee. Can't help having a lot more respect for these guys, even if they finish last.

There is also a fair ammount of them even finishing high up in GC as well! Let's not even mention the guy on the steel ssr 34x20, he's just bloody crazy!

So apologies for ruffling your feathers about Mr Kevin V

No offense taken. I just don't get the 'hate'. He seems capable enough on the bike, should that not be enough to warrant decent equipment? If it was Mark Shuttleworth riding an SWorks and staying in a camper, would you have a go at him too?

I am already looking forward to next year. The teams in contention will only be more and better. I am expecting/hoping the following lineup for next year:

Bulls 1 & 2

Topeak 1 & 2

Dolomiti superbike (they will be 1 of my favorite teams) & hopefully with a backup

Trek selle san marco 1 & 2

Centurion vaude 1 and 2

Cannondale with fumic and Fontana with backup from Avancini and maybe young Anton Cooper

Would like Sauzer to team up and mentor Sam Gaze

Buys and Beukes (or Beukes and Heyns)

Woolcock & Lill

Combrink & Bell

On the ladies side I would like to see maybe Suss and Dahle team up

Spitz and the youngster

Langvad & Kleynhans

Stenerhag & De Groot

Bingham & Morath

Unfortunately there are not more to mention.....

No offense taken. I just don't get the 'hate'. He seems capable enough on the bike, should that not be enough to warrant decent equipment? If it was Mark Shuttleworth riding an SWorks and staying in a camper, would you have a go at him too?

Hate? Mark Shuttleworth? S-Works? ROFLAO

I said I have more respect for the riders hitting the tents and on a budget, simple as that.

I am already looking forward to next year. The teams in contention will only be more and better. I am expecting/hoping the following lineup for next year:

Bulls 1 & 2

Topeak 1 & 2

Dolomiti superbike (they will be 1 of my favorite teams) & hopefully with a backup

Trek selle san marco 1 & 2

Centurion vaude 1 and 2

Cannondale with fumic and Fontana with backup from Avancini and maybe young Anton Cooper

Would like Sauzer to team up and mentor Sam Gaze

Buys and Beukes (or Beukes and Heyns)

Woolcock & Lill

Combrink & Bell

On the ladies side I would like to see maybe Suss and Dahle team up

Spitz and the youngster

Langvad & Kleynhans

Stenerhag & De Groot

Bingham & Morath

Unfortunately there are not more to mention.....

Really??

have a look at the rankings list for the UCI ladies mararthon :http://www.uci.ch/mountain-bike/ranking/ 

I think there's more to the lack of ladies participants than meets the eye.

Things like perhaps the event is just too intense and tough for top ladies to use as a platform to build their season.

Most of the men stear clear of the Cape-Epic for that very reason. For the ladies it will be more of an issue

Really??

have a look at the rankings list for the UCI ladies mararthon :http://www.uci.ch/mountain-bike/ranking/

I think there's more to the lack of ladies participants than meets the eye.

Things like perhaps the event is just too intense and tough for top ladies to use as a platform to build their season.

Most of the men stear clear of the Cape-Epic for that very reason. For the ladies it will be more of an issue

More like the epic is too close to the start of the xco season and messes with their preparation for xco

For so many armchair and keyboard pro's in South Africa the Epic is the pinnacle of racing.

For the actual pro's doing XCO and the like it is merely 1 race that doesn't actually influence their standing in their main goal for the year, the XCO circuit.

There are very handy riders all over the world who have heard of the epic but don't really know much about it or have even considered shelling out to come and ride it.

Perspective is a pretty crazy thing

Lets remember that at the end of the long 9 days, the Cape Epic is a business that aims to make money. The same does not apply to UCI XCO & XCM World Cup, Champ, Olympics etc.

The top mtb athletes might do it if it helps them and not hinders them, but their aim of the titles/medals remain as their main focus. The fact is also the athletes at their peak are doing XCO, and then might move on to XCM when then cannot perform at the level required. The XCO guys want to focus their training & prep to produce max effort for an hour and a half, how does nine days of marathon-length racing / af-kuk help that? Some have arrive at the UCI XCO event with more than a few matches burnt after doing the Epic (I think that happened to Burry a few times)

Guest notmyname

Hate? Mark Shuttleworth? S-Works? ROFLAO

I said I have more respect for the riders hitting the tents and on a budget, simple as that.

Don't feed the troll. He's living in the delusion that his word is gospel. Kinda like TB Joshua.

Very tough day today even though it was short. 74km and not 69km as advertised with over 2000m ascent. Relentless steep climbs. Some of the best single track at Skyfall but some of the worst near the end. Rocky, bumpy and didn't help that we were grumpy by then. Its been tough and happy to have the finish line in sight. This is my first one and all I can say is that this event is massive, its global and its growing. The organisation and planning is mind boggling. Boschendal not the best venue, feels cramped. Can't wait to see Meerendal tomorrow. 

Archived