New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

just about anything to do with Heath and Safety in NZ will be a success.

Just look at how much construction is going on in Auckland and Christchurch.

Last year I had to do the Site Safe consultants course (approx. 4hrs). I have yet to use my Site Safe card as I sit behind a desk all day, but the knowledge gained there was pretty valuable.

NZ's construction industry is considered "unsafe". (that is by UK and Aus standards). But by SA standards it is incredibly safe. In SA we used to have multiple serious injuries, and almost 2-3 deaths a year across our projects.

I think the attitude towards safety is a lot more serious here. And those WorkSafe fines are no joke! They can cripple a company if they are found to be in violation.

Each job we undertake has to have HESP forms willed out for even the most basic of site visits. We put together risk registers to make sure we consider safety in design.

Health and Safety is everywhere, so I'm sure you'll make a success of it!

What sort of direction are you thinking of taking? Consulting? Training (like Site Safe)?

Obviously when you are talking about "projects" you are not referring to mining project because I have work in a few countries around the world and I have found that South African H&S standards in mining projects to be the higher than anywhere else. Edited by Jaws677

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wayne, taking time out will be the best thing you ever did. Its so hard to think with a clear brain when you're dealing with the pressures of an existing job.

My wife has been through that twice, once by just resigning with no idea of what she would do next, and the second time after moving to NZ.

Having space for clear thoughts brings out all sorts of ideas and possibilities, and having some actual time to act on those thoughts amplifies their potential.

Obviously when you are talking about "projects" you are not referring to mining project because I have work in a few countries around the world and I have found that South African H&S standards in mining projects to be the higher than anywhere else.

Nope, not mining. Industrial and construction.

I think I have made a mistake.

I absolutely detest my new job. The company is terrible and I have zero job satisfaction. I was made several financial commitments around incentives but these are not actually achievable.

Most of the commitments I was made centre around EBIT, but after spending a week with my head buried in the financials, I can now see why this is an almost impossible target.

Those of you that know me well, will know that I am not the smartest guy in the world. BUT I am no quitter and will make up for my lack of aptitude with hard and diligent work.

Here is a bit of history for you...

I was kicked out of school at a pretty young age and began my first full time job at 13. I later went back to school and obtained matric equivalncy and went on to study further, but this was all done either part time or correspondence. I obtained my first job in logistics in 1999. I am tired of the industry.

We have worked pretty hard as a family and we have some money tucked away and i could comfortably afford to take a year off of work and dip into the savings. The only cost of this way of thinking is that it eats into our savings and that money could be used for a house or an investment.

My wife is pushing me to take a 3 or 4 month sabbatical from work and clear my head. I have NEVER been unemployed since the age of 13. This is a very alien way for me to think.

I have recently been trying to recruit some staff here at work and I have really struggled. There are too many vacancies and not enough candidates. I am certain when i decide to jump back in to the working word that I would be able to obtain a job pretty quick.

I am thinking of a complete career change.

I would like to get into Health and Safety. I feel it is a growing field and there is huge consultancy work opportunities available. My plan is to take some time over the sabbatical and obtain the necessary qualifications to begin a career in Health and Safety.

I will give my current employer 2.5 months notice to give them as much chance as possible to replace me before the end of the year to try and reduce the impact to my reputation.

Anyways, not sure why i posted that, but it felt good to get it off my shoulders.

No mistakes. Just learning what you don't like so that you don't have to do it again.  And rather now than in 2, 3, 4, 5 years time.

You're an entrepreneurial guy - there nothing you feel like doing on your own - or is that what the H&S thing will be?

My wife is pushing me to take a 3 or 4 month sabbatical from work and clear my head. 

Best thing you'll ever do.

Well, I have resigned for the first time in my life with no other job to go to.

My last day of being a contributing member of society will be 22 December. From then on I am going to be a bum.

I dropped at as a CA after 13/14 years of grind. The ego is a fragile thing and I knew I wanted to go in another direction but hesitated to leap. Now, I should have leapt much sooner and not been afraid. It will work out - it is amazing how a bit of focus clears your head and streamlines the bumf we add to our daily lives. Go ride your bike and be free. Do NOT think of anything except yourself (and your family) for a few weeks/months after you leave. Relax - from 13 to now, you have earned it.

My last day of being a contributing member of society will be 22 December. From then on I am going to be a bum.

You are going to gain amazing perspective from this Wayne. The first few weeks will take adjustment, but you're in a country will a plethora of opportunities available to you. Enjoy the experience.

You are going to smash it buddy, and then you are going to call me for a job ;-) Relax for now, Next year is when you need to work again... 

New Zealand faces 'chipocalypse' as farmers warn of crisps shortage - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-41633997

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Waynes the man for the job... always been the guy to pick things up, when the Chips are down  :whistling: 

On a serious note, you got this badass - something will come up and you definitely don't want to be stuck doing something you don't enjoy the rest of your life. 

I've read your earlier post leading to this one.

Many of us have been at this junction which is terrifying and those of us who went from school to army to work with no discernible break in between simply don't have file in our minds - "resign from what you're doing & take it from there" 

Graham2S is spot on! Once the fear settles, the experience will be quite liberating & you'll see opportunities from a different perspective. Opportunities will suddenly be all around, and a clear thought process will direct you to the right path!

Good luck & enjoy the break.

Edited by shova1

Welcome to the club.  :D

I completely retired 6 years ago, thought I would get bored, now I wonder how I found the time to go to work.

You will be fine, enjoy the downtime, recharge the batteries, find a new interest you can get passionate about, time flies by, dont sweat the small stuff.   

All the best Wayne - remember us "workers" when you hit the big time!

I'm sure most of us won't mind coming to work for you then!

Thanks Folks.

Since dropping my bomb I have already started investigating two projects.

My wife says I am already more relaxed. Well that's not true, she actually said "you aren't such a knob anymore"

:clap:

She's such a good liar  :whistling: