New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

@Grondpad,  the only thing to possibly verify is that if you take any electronics/appliances with that it's compatible with the electrical loading in Aus, otherwise to buy converters is going to send you back a pretty penny.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just received my passport back form the NZ consulate and they have forgotten to paste my Visa into my Passport.  FML

That is rotten luck! Hopefully it can be corrected pronto.

Just received my passport back form the NZ consulate and they have forgotten to paste my Visa into my Passport.  FML

Your visa was supposed to be in your passport?  :eek:

I didn't even hand over my passport to anyone. The agents just emailed me a letter form of the visa, that has a section stating this...

post-10758-0-77923100-1457085373_thumb.png

So if you have such a letter you don't need a visa stuck in your passport

Your visa was supposed to be in your passport?  :eek:

I didn't even hand over my passport to anyone. The agents just emailed me a letter form of the visa, that has a section stating this...

attachicon.gifVisa Letter.PNG

So if you have such a letter you don't need a visa stuck in your passport

Yeah you can carry the piece of paper around or you have have it pasted into your passport.

Yeah you can carry the piece of paper around or you have have it pasted into your passport.

Oh ok... so seems like I have to go with the ghetto paper option, hahaha!

Valid for 30 months though, not too bad!

@Grondpad,  the only thing to possibly verify is that if you take any electronics/appliances with that it's compatible with the electrical loading in Aus, otherwise to buy converters is going to send you back a pretty penny.

Yes, thank you DisyLizzy. From what I have gathered it seems like I will be OK and only need an adapter or change the plugs as Auz is on 220 - 240 V and SA is on 220 to 230V. I hope I don't blow that place up......

This has been a very interesting thread. I hope to visit NZ in the next two years to see if it tickles my fancy. To be honest what makes me jealous is the freedom of movement without fear of being a victim of crime, even took up Brazilian Ji-Jutsu this year. For everything else, I still love my Africa.

Can I get our Hub friends in NZ opinions on Dunedin? Apart from my negotiations for spot in Sydney, I also have a new opportunity (since yesterday) for NZ Dunedin. What’s the thought on it? Most of the talk here is based on Auckland and Wellington….

Can I get our Hub friends in NZ opinions on Dunedin? Apart from my negotiations for spot in Sydney, I also have a new opportunity (since yesterday) for NZ Dunedin. What’s the thought on it? Most of the talk here is based on Auckland and Wellington….

Can't add much because I haven't been there, but you'll be south island like me, and only 3.5hrs from Queenstown.

Plus for some reason Dunedin has the fastest Spark fibre in the whole country...

post-10758-0-13554300-1457420331_thumb.png

Can't add much because I haven't been there, but you'll be south island like me, and only 3.5hrs from Queenstown.

Plus for some reason Dunedin has the fastest Spark fibre in the whole country...

attachicon.gifSpark Fibre.PNG

I have a feeling because it is the communication link to Antarctica which has major (if not the biggest) research centers in the world. I know of many South African weather and climate research happening there currently and of course most of the travel to Antarctica happens from there too.

I have been there before, stayed only for 2 days though but I couldn't fault other than the weather being much colder than the rest of the country (in the time we were there).

Also the surroundings seems a bit 'cheaper' if you know what I mean, maybe because it is a big student town/city.

Like mentioned, it is 'close' to Queenstown and the surrounding areas are absolutely beautiful (but then again, most of NZ is).

Dunedin is one of the reasons a lot of Safas think NZ has terrible weather. It is cold in winter, man! And it gets a lot of overcast conditions. And it is full of crazy students doing crazy student stuff.

All that said, it is in NZ and NZ is a fantastic country. When we came over, we would have gone anywhere, even to Invercargill or Greymouth or Westport. We weren't fussy, figured a start anywhere would be better than hanging around waiting to be shot or raped or whatever.