New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

I have some really good friends coming over for a look, see, decide in December.

We want to take them on a little road trip to the Coromandel, Rotorua and so on.

I need to hire an 8 seater van for a few days. 

Cheapest I can find is $800 for 07 December to 11 December.

Anyone know of other options or own a minibus? Long shot.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have some really good friends coming over for a look, see, decide in December.

We want to take them on a little road trip to the Coromandel, Rotorua and so on.

I need to hire an 8 seater van for a few days. 

Cheapest I can find is $800 for 07 December to 11 December.

Anyone know of other options or own a minibus? Long shot.

Consider buying one privately, use over Dec, resell when done...if you get your wheel and deal on you can get the lot done for next to no money. Or buy a cheap car for visitors to use, do the same thing buy and sell it with 'single use' and go in 2 cars.

8 hundy for 4 days is heavy duty man!

Out of interest, the original posters are you all still there?

Those that originally planned to go, who all went?

Typically citizenship requires 5yrs of residency.

Hence why some people that come over on a Talent - Accredited Employer visa switch (on their own accord) to a Skilled Migrant Visa so that they can start the 5yr countdown asap.

But then once that is granted it is 2yrs to Permanent Residency, whist the Talent - Accredited Employer visa holders can *fast track to PR after 2yrs of working for said accredited employer.

If citizenship is ones goal then the Skilled Migrant route can shave around 2yrs off the process (5yrs vs 7yrs total).

For those with British passports who are not overly concerned (even with Brexit looming), then Talent - Accredited Employer will get one PR slightly *quicker, and a few thousand dollars cheaper.

*Fast tracking from Talent - Accredited Employer to PR is subject to a few criteria, one being a minimum annual salary of $90,000.

Thank you for this, so a skilled migrant is what you get if you are on the skilled shortage list?

Thank you for this, so a skilled migrant is what you get if you are on the skilled shortage list?

Not necessarily.

There are 2 visas with the term "Skill" in them:

• Skilled Migrant Category Residence Visa  - this one counts points and requires English competency certification etc. It has a sub-section in the points calculator whereby a job offer for skilled employment gives one 50 points, and a further 10 if that employment is in an area of "absolute skills shortage" (referring to the Long Term Skills Shortage List). This is a residency visa so allows more freedom, benefits of a resident, and an overall quicker pathway to citizenship. Permanent residency can be obtained after 2yrs, and citizenship is 5yrs after the initial residency.

• Talent - Long Term Skills Shortage Work Visa - this also requires one to be offered employment in one of the fields on the same Long Term Skills Shortage List, but is a work visa valid for 30 months. One may be eligible to apply for residency after 2 yrs (if conditions are met). Permanent Residency will take another 24 months after that. Citizenship is 5yrs after initial residency. (so approximately 2yrs longer to citizenship than the above).

Hope that helps!

Out of interest, the original posters are you all still there?

Those that originally planned to go, who all went?

Wayne (the thread creator) is still here. Some posting here lived in NZ before the creation of the thread (like Intern). And other like myself have been here about 3.5yrs or so.

Wayne (the thread creator) is still here. Some posting here lived in NZ before the creation of the thread (like Intern). And other like myself have been here about 3.5yrs or so.

How the time flies eh Patches. Think Wayne and fam are probably up for citizenship very soon...and you're not far off either.

How the time flies eh Patches. Think Wayne and fam are probably up for citizenship very soon...and you're not far off either.

It does fly indeed. Sometimes it feels like I just arrived and other times it feels like I have always been here.

Yeah, citizenship must be just round the corner for Wayne & family.

I went the Talent - Accredited Employer route so although I was able to fast track to PR, my 5yr count down only started just over a year ago. So yeah, about half way there, and time will continue to fly!

I know you have probably answered this before, but how long have you been in NZ?

It does fly indeed. Sometimes it feels like I just arrived and other times it feels like I have always been here.

Yeah, citizenship must be just round the corner for Wayne & family.

I went the Talent - Accredited Employer route so although I was able to fast track to PR, my 5yr count down only started just over a year ago. So yeah, about half way there, and time will continue to fly!

I know you have probably answered this before, but how long have you been in NZ?

9 years for us - and it is as you say, sometimes you feel like you've been here all your life. Other times, like yesterday, I wish I was in the warm sun of Johannesburg in my back yard in Weltevreden Park.

Emigration is a bit like having kids, I guess. You'll never really be happy again. (With kids, they are either annoying you when they are around, or you miss them terribly within 10 minutes of saying goodbye at school).

Despite not moving to NZ, I found this thread immensely helpful during my own emigration process. Really helped with the decision making and pulling the trigger to get going.

And then you get us Aussie posters here as well. I think its because we view NZ as that little awkward kid in class who needs a little bit of help now and then  :lol: 

Alternatively, we hang out here to find out why so many NZ'ers move over to Australia ! 

But in reality, there are a lot of similarities between the two places, with some local flavour being different, and as they say on Third and Bird - "Different is Good'.

And then you get us Aussie posters here as well. I think its because we view NZ as that little awkward kid in class who needs a little bit of help now and then  :lol:

Alternatively, we hang out here to find out why so many NZ'ers move over to Australia ! 

But in reality, there are a lot of similarities between the two places, with some local flavour being different, and as they say on Third and Bird - "Different is Good'.

Yes, we cannot forget the Aussie contingent. As you say, lots of similarities. One of the main reasons for the NZ flag referendum a few years ago was that someone mistakenly setup an Aussie flag next to the NZ PM at an international event. Admittedly before I moved to NZ, I didn't know the difference either. Now I just look out for the red stars.

Whilst I haven't explored a ton of Aus, I must say the parts I have been to I have enjoyed (apart from the heat, dunno how you guys cope with it).

NZ definitely is quite a way behind in terms of infrastructure development, pay scales, food pricing, retail etc, but that slightly simpler life is quite appealing to some.

Having a rough week. Think I need some time on my bike in Rotorua!

I just need some time on my bike. Was gonna start last weekend but come down with a chest infection. Making for a rough week for me also!

I just need some time on my bike. Was gonna start last weekend but come down with a chest infection. Making for a rough week for me also!

Look after yourself man!

Looks like lekker weather this weekend. So Ive booked a room in a fancy hotel. Going to skip out of work a little early tomorrow and go to the Redwoods. Need some vitamin forest.

Edited by Wayne Potgieter