New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

On the topic of FNB and banks in general.

I'm currently on a R29 pm contract to keep my mobile number active for FNB banking. I admit, I haven't researched this yet but perhaps someone here has. I want to cancel the mobile contract but keep online banking. Is that possible? As it is, I hate paying the monthly bank charges and actually looking at closing my FNB accounts. Much easier to simply pay on local card and accept the conversion fee than pay monthly costs for a few purchases each year.

And yes, the Flybuys accrual rate and use of points is terrible. The only good is to convert to $10 discounts and use to save a few dollars on your weekly shop.

When I first moved over to NZ I had them link my online banking to my NZ mobile number. It worked pretty well and I got the OTP's just as quick (if not quicker) than I did in SA.

Their system then changed and now all my authorizations come through the FNB app. That also works pretty well.

I think one can also link their OTP's to an email address.

But yeah, I got rid of my SA mobile contract as soon as possible.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots more tighter rules for immigration coming through from Oct!

The increase of minimum annually income from $55k  to +$79 is going to kick many people out.

Many of those already here on a work visa that won't be able to apply for residency and won't get a new work visa either due to this new rule alone ...

The increase of minimum annually income from $55k  to +$79 is going to kick many people out.

Many of those already here on a work visa that won't be able to apply for residency and won't get a new work visa either due to this new rule alone ...

I just want to be classified as a refugee to be allowed in please...

That is pretty scary, someone trying to build a life there and suddenly getting told to leave would not be fun.

Hi Hayley.

According to this, the new rules are not retrospective and there is a little more detail around the new system.

https://migrationpartners.co.nz/workvisachanges-17september2019/

Although, its a changing landscape and things are moving quickly, so even this articel might be subject to change.

Im just glad we are a year away from citizenship - one less thing to worry about. But I agree, that "newer" folks would be pretty nervous.

When I first moved over to NZ I had them link my online banking to my NZ mobile number. It worked pretty well and I got the OTP's just as quick (if not quicker) than I did in SA.

Their system then changed and now all my authorizations come through the FNB app. That also works pretty well.

I think one can also link their OTP's to an email address.

But yeah, I got rid of my SA mobile contract as soon as possible.

I have my Standard Bank OTP's sent to my email. Works well for my work addy, my gmail account was a failure - took too long to route through.

Hi Hayley.

According to this, the new rules are not retrospective and there is a little more detail around the new system.

https://migrationpartners.co.nz/workvisachanges-17september2019/

Although, its a changing landscape and things are moving quickly, so even this articel might be subject to change.

Im just glad we are a year away from citizenship - one less thing to worry about. But I agree, that "newer" folks would be pretty nervous.

So as I understand it, there will be only 1 workers visa replacing the current ones?

Are there any changes to the skilled migrant residency visa system where the eoi is submitted? That was our initial plan to obtain residency as we qualify for more than 180 points if you have a job in nz

Edited by W@nted

• 3 weeks later...

The other night I was making dinner while the TV was on in the background. I overheard an ad for "electric fencing". Curios, I rushed over to the TV to see what they were on about.

The Saffer in my pictured 6 strands on top of a wall to keep intruders out.

The ad was for electric fencing for cattle and livestock to section off pastures :lol:  :blush:  

Just goes to show that a simple term can mean 2 very different things to different people, based on their past experience.

I wonder what the percentage decrease in applications will be based on that new minimum salary requirements.

I'm also guessing that the requirement for the sponsoring child to have held residency for 3yrs+, still stands. 

I read a little more on the changes to the Parent Resident Visa and what has stayed the same.

From my understanding (and I may be wrong) they have:

• Upped the salary requirements (as previously mentioned)
  • Reduced numbers form 5500 to 1000 pa. (massive reduction)
  • Done away with the 2 tier system
  • 3yrs of residency by sponsoring child still required, BUT further to that the sponsors have to prove the minimum income requirements for 2 of those 3 yrs.
  • Guaranteed lifetime income no longer considered.

It seems the salary figures they came up with are based on the median salary.

• 1 sponsor + 1 parent = 2x median salary ($106,080)
  • 1 sponsor + 2 parents = 3x median salary ($159,120)
  • 2 sponsors + 1 parent = 3x median salary ($159,120)
  • 2 sponsors + 2 parents = 4x median salary ($212,160)

So in simple terms, they want the salaries of the sponsor(s) to equal the median salary x total number of people (sponsors + parents), and it has to have been so for hte past 2 of 3 yrs of residency.

I think that alone will cut down a fair amount of the previously allowed 5500 applications, but there will still be a queue.

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/about-us/media-centre/news-notifications/parent-resident-visa-will-reopen-new-requirements

The other night I was making dinner while the TV was on in the background. I overheard an ad for "electric fencing". Curios, I rushed over to the TV to see what they were on about.

The Saffer in my pictured 6 strands on top of a wall to keep intruders out.

The ad was for electric fencing for cattle and livestock to section off pastures :lol: :blush:

Just goes to show that a simple term can mean 2 very different things to different people, based on their past experience.

Haha. Like in Ireland during my recent scouting trip. We saw one electric fence to keep animals in a pen. One strand only.

I had a good chuckle at the "It's discriminatory!" comment. Of course it's discriminatory! The entire visa process is discriminatory by the simple fact that you are choosing who gets to live in NZ, and excluding those who don't qualify.

IMO these changes are warranted. I personally know 2 families who have moved their (poor and retired) parents over to NZ and are now battling to support, what's now become, a family of 6 and 7 respectively. It's inevitable that they add a burden to the state once they qualify for certain pensions and benefits, and these changes help avoid that to some degree. 

Edited by GrahamS2

As a comparison, Aus has a variety of visa options to bring in parents of migrants. In theory they cater for a range of socio-economic level of applicants, but in practice - not so much. 

Option 1. Cheapskates option. Relatively low fee, full  medical coverage. Very limited availability, and last I heard the processing time in the queue was about 25 years. Sign them up on this if you want to tell your folks with a straight face that you would love them to come over (although not really), but its in the government's hand's now.

Option 2. Goldilocks options. High fee (above $50K per parent), full medical coverage. Limited availability, and last I heard the processing time in the queue was about 4-5 years. Effectively the fee reimburses the government for the expected health costs of the elderly parents, but in reality the true costs to the taxpayers are probably an order of magnitude higher. The family are the winners - the rest of the taxpayers - not so much.

Option 3. 5- 10 year long stay visa's - and after that they have to move back to their country of origin. No medical coverage, so private cover must be bought, and like with most things, expect gap fees if things go wrong. If they go really wrong healthwise - you might end up bankrupted on their behalf.The only advantage is pretty short processing times, and the taxpayers do not take a hit on your behalf.

Snip...

Regarding option 3, I believe a 3 year stay is now $5000, and a 5 year stay is $10,000. 10 year option got scrapped. And you are fully liable for any public health costs during their stay. Quite a commitment!