New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah its crazy.

November will be the start of my fourth year here.

I arrived end October 2015.

:eek:

4 years!! Jeezlike

Week 3 in the new job. Still adjusting but loving the new challenges and seeing things from a different perspective (client side + government).

Last week marked 2yrs since I moved to NZ. A lot has happened in that time. Moved cities (and islands), changed jobs, so many new experiences.

Time to apply for residency, and hopefully quality for fast tracking to PR. I meet the criteria, but it's not guaranteed, as a former work colleague found out.

Has anyone here applied for residency from a Work to Residency visa, and managed to get the fast track to PR?

Yes we did it; had residency within 3 months of arriving and PR shortly after, this is why we got citizenship just shortly after 5 years of first arriving. Did so with an expensive, but ruthlessly effective, immigration consultant. So I don't know the full ins and outs, but I do know it can be done...

Weird how 2015 seems like yesterday or last year at most...

Ag please man, here in SA we're still living in the Apartheid era  :blush:  :P 

It sure is scary to think though that in a couple years the 90's will be three decades ago  :o

Yes we did it; had residency within 3 months of arriving and PR shortly after, this is why we got citizenship just shortly after 5 years of first arriving. Did so with an expensive, but ruthlessly effective, immigration consultant. So I don't know the full ins and outs, but I do know it can be done...

I'm guessing because you had residency within 3 months, that you went the Skilled Migrant Visa route, as opposed to the Work to Residence route?!

I know of people that switch from W2R to SMV's early on so that they can get residency faster. Pretty awesome that your immigration consultant could get you PR shortly after.

I've just completed my 2yrs of W2R, and in theory should/could be granted PR straight away when I apply for residency, according to the fast track requirements (commitment to NZ, a certain minimum annual salary, etc).

I'm a little concerned though because a British friend recently applied for his residency through the same route, and was earning over that salary mark, but they didn't fast track him to PR. He even had KPMG consult with him and lodge the applicant, so it looked very official. But it seems it's not guaranteed.

I guess either way I don't plan on leaving NZ for any extended period of time, in the next 2yrs, so if I don't get fast tracked, it's not the end of the world.

Yep Patches, we came on Skilled Migrant Visa - my wife's Skilled, I am not! - so you're on to it there...

Ok so offer made and accepted!!Visas handed in with Medical and police Certificate.

Doing work to resident with accredited employer.

If nothing goes wrong from here plan is to fly 28 April.

Things happening fast now!!

Some questions for you all.

1. Not planing on shipping anything but want to try and bring bikes.Should be able to take 2 with on plane but want to try and bring down the rest also...plus trainers etc.

What options do I have and is it worth it or should I just sell rather.

Also do you have like a bikehub equivalent that side? Just want to get a feel for second hand bike prices.

2. How easy is it to get finance that side for a small car.If I am permanently employed but want to get it done on day 1 without any Salary history in Nz?

Stressing bigtime now that something goes wrong with visa because we full on committed now..resigned...house in market..half our stuff already sold..eish!!

Ok so offer made and accepted!!Visas handed in with Medical and police Certificate.

1. Not planing on shipping anything but want to try and bring bikes.Should be able to take 2 with on plane but want to try and bring down the rest also...plus trainers etc.

Also do you have like a bikehub equivalent that side? Just want to get a feel for second hand bike prices.

2. How easy is it to get finance that side for a small car.If I am permanently employed but want to get it done on day 1 without any Salary history in Nz?

Stressing bigtime now that something goes wrong with visa because we full on committed now..resigned...house in market..half our stuff already sold..eish!!

first of all Well Done!!!

Cheapest way to ship smallish stuff via airfreight was www.ubag.co.za

Check what the price is to replace the stuff here. Then compare to what you would get second hand plus shipping costs and whichever is cheapest, that’s the way to go. Bare in mind possible clearance charges here and costs to have stuff cleaned (if needed) also, any electronics will need to be replugged.

As for car finance, we got finance on our first car in 15 minutes. All we showed them was our work visa and work contract. Wife had a five year visa so she had no issues. I believe if you only have a two year, then your finance period must be less that our visa term. Perhaps check out rather buying a cheap Japanese import for a year or two cash. Might be a better option?

Relax. Things have a way of working out.

Remind me, which area will you be based in?

Congrats!

Yeah from here on out it'll be a whirlwind!

So yeah I flew over with 2 checked bags, 2 hand luggage bags and a boxed bike. Didn't ship anything.Just flew premium economy which allows an extra 17kg (10kg checked + 7 kg hand luggage).

I found I got by a on a lot less than I though I needed. And if you speak to most here (including myself) they will confess that they have been on their bikes very little since moving over, especially in the first year or so.

Riding friends are no longer there along with one's old trusty regular trails/routes. Time is occupied with a combination of the starting-over process, and exploring new places.

So yeah, if you can get a decent price for whatever riding equipment you feel you can do without for a time, or may be with selling, and buying again once you're settled. Well that's at least what I would have done if I did it over again, haha.

As for the car, like Wayne said, finance here is easy. They'll allow you to finance for the maximum of your visa term (which is 30 months one a work to resident. They'll base that off your employment contract. And yeah, look at the Japanese import options, way better value for money. Kiwis in general aren't overly concerned about vehicular status. My previous boss was on about $300k p.a., had 8 properties (including a new villa in Bali), but drove a 10yr + Toyota Caldina (between a Corola and Camry).

Oh yeah, and station wagons are the flavour of choice in NZ.

So yeah, best of luck. Let us know where you're moving to. And feel free to ask any questions you want (about medical aid, tax/IRD numbers, drivers licenses, etc).

I found I got by a on a lot less than I though I needed. And if you speak to most here (including myself) they will confess that they have been on their bikes very little since moving over, especially in the first year or so.

But non of you were/are roadies... haha

There is actually nothing more relaxing/peaceful to go out on a long road ride around Auckland (as in really around it) - you get to see so much more of the areas and knowing you can go just by yourself and be safe is what makes it so peaceful.

** I am not riding now anymore due to an overprotected father (haha) of the little one inside me, but it is something I am longing for and missing everyday! **

But non of you were/are roadies... haha

There is actually nothing more relaxing/peaceful to go out on a long road ride around Auckland (as in really around it) - you get to see so much more of the areas and knowing you can go just by yourself and be safe is what makes it so peaceful.

** I am not riding now anymore due to an overprotected father (haha) of the little one inside me, but it is something I am longing for and missing everyday! **

True, road rides will chafe that dynamic. Even I have going myself doing the odd short ride to Mission Bay and back.

At the height of my NZ adjusting and exploring I did thousands of km on the dirt roads of the South Island. Saw some spectacular and remote places. But yeah, those 2 wheels are petrol powered so kinda cheating.

I still maintain though that a road registered dirt/rally bike is one of the best ways to explore NZ

Thanks for the feedback all!! We will be based in Auckland.

Start work on the first of May and flights booked for 28 April so going to be a very busy first couple of weeks.

Thanks for the feedback all!! We will be based in Auckland.

Start work on the first of May and flights booked for 28 April so going to be a very busy first couple of weeks.

Congrats!

I was exactly in your shoes dates wise.

Flew out of SA on 28th of April and started on 1 May 2017. Hectic but worth it.

Another vote for ubag by the way.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

Hi Hayley

You still looking for ZAR's. Have just landed in NZ and looking to offload some SA Rands.

I am still looking for people that want to exchange NZ$ for Rands (I give NZ$ and you Rands)... Just to avoid all the transfer costs etc etc