New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

It takes a bit of a mindset change for us Saffers to adopt a commuting lifestyle. Most of us are accustomed to being alone in our car, stuck in traffic on a highway.

I lived in London for a number of years - me, I've got no complaints about other people taking me to work... alternatively, self-driving cars - can't wait.

Edited by davetapson

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys, much appreciate it.

Is there anything with schools we need to know that might catch us out...?

I've never really ridden a dirt bike - how easily do MTB skills transfer to a mud scooter?

My only advice on this, and take it from where it came, is start with something light. 

It's much easier to gain confidence on something you don't have to muscle/finesse around.  Smaller capacity bikes have plenty of punch these days too.  Get something cheap, upgrade when you have a better idea of what you like.

(And for something completely personal: 4-strokes FTW...)

Thanks guys, much appreciate it.

Is there anything with schools we need to know that might catch us out...?

UNless your kids go to private school just remember that schools work on zones. If you fall outside of their zone it is more difficult to get your kids enrolled at that particular school. If that makes sense.

UNless your kids go to private school just remember that schools work on zones. If you fall outside of their zone it is more difficult to get your kids enrolled at that particular school. If that makes sense.

Yeh - part of the problem (if we understand rightly) is that you arrive in Auckland, rent a place, get the kids in local zoned school and unless you are prepared to move schools, you are pretty much stuck in that area...  and it's a bit tricky to know what area you'll want to live in without having lived there...  :huh:  :huh:  :huh:

Yeh - part of the problem (if we understand rightly) is that you arrive in Auckland, rent a place, get the kids in local zoned school and unless you are prepared to move schools, you are pretty much stuck in that area...  and it's a bit tricky to know what area you'll want to live in without having lived there...  :huh:  :huh:  :huh:

Yip.

When we went over we looked at what schools were thought would be suitable and then looked for houses in that area.

My wife loved the Takapuna area when we were there. She worked in Takapuna and we lived in Mairangi bay.  I unfortunately had the commute across the bridge into the CBD.

Not much to add. I commute from Gulf Harbour daily and I love it. Yes, it takes a long time, but not having to think about traffic is awesome and it allows me to do my admin/emails or just look at bike hub  :whistling: .

Silverdale/ Red Beach/Orewa is more convenient as said above, so you really have so many options.

Out of interest, how long does the commute take from GH?

Yip.

When we went over we looked at what schools were thought would be suitable and then looked for houses in that area.

My wife loved the Takapuna area when we were there. She worked in Takapuna and we lived in Mairangi bay.  I unfortunately had the commute across the bridge into the CBD.

Given that that is my likely future, how unfortunate was the commute...? 

Also, what is the likelihood of getting IT work in Albany, if you might know about that?

Edited by davetapson

Out of interest, how long does the commute take from GH?

55min - 60min.

I have a walk and a wait and on to Northcote via a second bus.

If you go into the city, you just stay on the same bus.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

There is also a ferry from Gulf Harbour into the city; this makes the whole Whangaparaoa Peninsula a viable option, including some very desirable 'burbs like Arkles Bay, Stanmore Bay, Army Bay, Manly, etc etc. If Mrs is heading to Taka and you're going to city, this would make a lot of sense. Ferry is like a mini cruise, coffee and toasted zarm in the morning, beer on the way home...

Plenty IT companies in Albany/North Shore area; quite a number of disties, through to resellers, software outfits, etc.

My only advice on this, and take it from where it came, is start with something light. 

It's much easier to gain confidence on something you don't have to muscle/finesse around.  Smaller capacity bikes have plenty of punch these days too.  Get something cheap, upgrade when you have a better idea of what you like.

I do like a good old 2-stroke, the only one I have now is my 3.3 litre V6 direct injection boat motor. Far more torque than a 4 stroke and nice n simple, too...

I do like a good old 2-stroke, the only one I have now is my 3.3 litre V6 direct injection boat motor. Far more torque than a 4 stroke and nice n simple, too...

I concur with davetapson. Something smaller to start off with.

Don't go full "adventure-executive" and hop straight on a 1200GS BMW.

I ride a Husqvarna FE350 enduro bike (4 stroke). Nice and light (around 110kg in current setup). Ample power, not many long straight "flat out" (100kph, haha) roads in NZ anyway. Pretty darn nimble. And tons of fun.

I have made a few changes form the standard out-of-the-box setup, for back country adventuring purposes.

• Road registration & indicator kit & number plate (modified from the hideous stock ones)
  • 19L long range fuel tank (OEM is 9.5L)
  • 50T rear sprocket for better top end. (OEM is 52T, more for hard enduro)
  • Desert tyres. Hard wearing (approx. 5000km), grip decently all round, tough as nails.
  • Tubliss kit. Lower presures possible, more grip, puncture sealant, and run-flat.
  • Midwest clutch lever. 1 finger clutch operation with half the force required. Great in tech stuff.
  • Steg pegz. Make riding long distances standing at speed a lot more comfy. reduce fatigue and arm pump.
  • Kriega tail-pack system to attach a 10L waterproof soft bag to the tail.
  • KTM 690 enduro windshield. I put this on when needed. makes long trips more enjoyable.

The downsides to buying an Austrian enduro bike for adventuring in NZ...

• They're pricey! Brand new one is looking around the $15k mark.
  • Maintenance intensive. Oil change every 15hrs (can push to 20hrs as not racing it).

If I had to do it all again, I would probably still go for a Husky 4 stroke, but probably a FE501. Little bit heavier, but tons of grunt. I like the idea of a 701, but I haven't heard great things about KTM 690's offroad and the 701 is basically the same bike

Another option is new KTM and Husky 2 strokes (250 and 300) with fuel injection have way better fuel economy, and no more having to pre-mix fuel (the 2 big downsides to a 2-stroke).

But if you want something more budget friendly, low maintenance, brand new and ready to go out of the box...

this could be it!

Honda CRF250L Rally. - approx. $9000 brand new.

https://www.hondamotorbikes.co.nz/adventure-bikes/crf250l-rally

http://1hu9t72zwflj44abyp2h0pfe-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Honda-CRF250L-Rally.jpg

http://www.propilotsuspension.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/crf_250_rally-_Ohlins-shock-HO703-_Fork-Spring-and-cap-kit-FKS123.jpg

But if you want something more budget friendly, low maintenance, brand new and ready to go out of the box...

this could be it!

Honda CRF250L Rally. - approx. $9000 brand new.

https://www.hondamotorbikes.co.nz/adventure-bikes/crf250l-rally

Zigactly!! 

I am tempted myself (and that's from someone coming off a souped up KTM300 2-stroke that I could never get to like as much as I figured I should have.)

But then I grew up with XT500's...

Edit of Edit: Even if a cheap 150 came across my path, I'd consider it.  Better to learn on something you can pick up and throw down...

Edited by davetapson

Seeking NZ wisdom:

Friend of mine's dad passed away here in the Republic.

South African consulate will only see them in two weeks with following documents in place:

- copy of death certifcate

- Rates or confirmed address certificate 

- Two weeks bank statements

- $400

I'm sure there should be an easier way in? Any of you have any tips I would highly appreciate it. The Kiwi's now so no more green passports.

Shot!

Our little South African-French-Kiwi.

Layla is perfect and kept us waiting an additional 6 days. We could not have asked for a more perfect birth story either, one midwife and dad doing it all by themselves and the whole 13 hours of labour was a magic experience (have photos of us laughing etc right through the pushing phase even which luckily only lasted 25min.)

I have full confidence in the way New Zealand deals with the whole pregnancy and birth and even post natal care for mom and baby. We decided to come home the same day as her birth although we could have stayed at a 'nice' birthing unit absolute free.

Because we decided to come home there were midwifes that came to visit us for the 1st 4 days checking up on the baby but also answering any questions we had, what's amazing is we can phone the birthing unit 24/7 and they help us with what ever we need (we had to phone twice already as we didn't know why she didn't want to stop drinking on day 2/3 in the middle of the night).

We have a very peaceful baby though, every night since the start (accept for that one night) we have to wake her to feed.

Happy. Tired, but extremely happy.

post-24697-0-39281200-1531067117_thumb.jpg

post-24697-0-20369800-1531067348_thumb.jpg

post-24697-0-09503800-1531067412_thumb.jpg