New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

Nice pics intern, I need to get up North sometime. we got out for a lovely little fish on Sunday. Quick blast out to the Noises with the missus. She has become a real fishing machine!

The gulf was gorgeous this weekend, glad we got out.

Reckon we'll be running out of nice weather soonish though...

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Silly question but, I see fishing is the sport to do there besides cycling. Do people actually boat like ski and tube etc? Reason is I cannot touch a fish they freak me out lol...

Apart from the great spots to fish does Nz have many game fish species, I thought the best game fishing was in warmer temps nearer the equator?

Comings weeks weather in Auckland looks better than predicted last week. ... Saturday looks like a nice riding day #justsaying

(If it's good weather and I have a car sorted that I want to buy before then then I'm spending the whole day on the saddle "doing loops"... excited)

I feel so bad regarding not being able to get to all the dinner plans etc, I blame exhaustion due to shopping. Luckily I could spend some time with the Potgieters before that really started (awesome kids those!) and nightrider showed me some trails in 'my-right-eye' :D It was awesome. Can't wait to get to know those !

Flip sooooo much too do but all the organising to settle in is taking quite a bit of time.

Silly question but, I see fishing is the sport to do there besides cycling. Do people actually boat like ski and tube etc? Reason is I cannot touch a fish they freak me out lol...

Kiwis are boating mad, whatever boating you like, they do here. Skiing, 'biscuiting' (that's what we call a tube - a biscuit), wakeboarding, you name it, it happens here...

Apart from the great spots to fish does Nz have many game fish species, I thought the best game fishing was in warmer temps nearer the equator?

Yep; kingfsh (seriola lalandi lalandi) are the 'standard' gamefish; there are also marlin of various kinds and then there are the groupers - hapuku - though not sure that counts as a gamefish. Kingies are very accessible, you can go smash those straight out of Auckland or any one of a number of places without too much of a mission.

I usually confine myself to snapper (pagrus auratus) fishing though, snaps are excellent eating and easy to catch; I'm not that great a fisherman!

Nice pics intern, I need to get up North sometime. we got out for a lovely little fish on Sunday. Quick blast out to the Noises with the missus. She has become a real fishing machine!

The gulf was gorgeous this weekend, glad we got out.

Reckon we'll be running out of nice weather soonish though...

We still need to do a Coromandel mission; it is next on my list for overnighter trips. I'll likely launch out of Kawakawa Bay for a short hop across the gulf...would be good to meet up at the bottom of Waiheke and proceed from there...

I am seriously considering this as an alternative to a house.

It would be a short term solution. 3 years tops

Might be a great adventure.

Buy it and moore it in the viaduct area.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/983514298

Just need to do more investigations into the "other" costs.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Dude, anything that lives in sea water is in need of constant maintenance and decays right there in front of your eyes. Boats don't have a reputation for being a hole in the water that you fill up with money for no reason. Boats don't appreciate in value like houses do, either - they go one way and fast, particularly those that live in the water. (Trailer boats, on the other hand, don't tend to lose much value over in these parts, unless they are American or Aussie boats, which are not in demand).

Ask DawieO about living on boats, he knows ;-)

Also, for reasons outlined above (and more, I am pretty certain) securing finance for something like that will be at 'car' rates (~12 percent) if you can secure it at all. If you thought a 20 percent deposit for a house was rude, wait until you see what they'll want for that bad boy!

I have thought about retiring on something like that! Wife is not too keen on the idea so I told her she is more than welcome to come and visit me. It wasn't too well received!

Dude, anything that lives in sea water is in need of constant maintenance and decays right there in front of your eyes. Boats don't have a reputation for being a hole in the water that you fill up with money for no reason. Boats don't appreciate in value like houses do, either - they go one way and fast, particularly those that live in the water. (Trailer boats, on the other hand, don't tend to lose much value over in these parts, unless they are American or Aussie boats, which are not in demand).

Ask DawieO about living on boats, he knows ;-)

Why do they not like the Auzzie or American boats? I see they make strange Alu jet boats? Is there a problem with a Glass boat? In SA I only know of Glass boats besides the odd wooden boat. Then aren't sea boats meant to have double engines? But looking at the fact that no skippers is needed makes me wonder...

Hi guys, needs some info.

Any Ozzies people from South Africa, have the possibility of a job opportunity and would like to talk to some people who live there.

Thanks

Edited by Bomberman

Sorry to break it to you Wayne, but I have it on good authority (I had quipped about doing the same thing at work) that there is a limit to the number of consequetive nights you may spend on a boat - Auckland council BS.

Sorry to break it to you Wayne, but I have it on good authority (I had quipped about doing the same thing at work) that there is a limit to the number of consequetive nights you may spend on a boat - Auckland council BS.

seriously?