Pyga 650B vs Giant Trance Advanced

cpelser

For an aluminium frame it's expensive. You can buy a giant trance advanced frameset for less than the of the pyga frameset.

Had I'd be concerned with pygas ability to stick it out through a tough financial climate.

I know those statements will attract vitriol

No no good point...you are 100% right, for an alu frame its at the top end and yes you can get a tupperware giant for the same price BUT and this is a big BUT

You must WANT the giant...and no matter how I play it out in my head....value for money, life time frame warranty, cool new paint schemes....blah blah blah. I just dont want one. I dont know why but I just don't.

See the pyga boys are doing something right....they are creating a want in clients. Maybe its something they put into their pyga brew, or their cool videos that make pinbike highlights reel maybe even the fact that you can have a face to face with the guy that designed your bike over a zamalek scud....who knows.

I bet they might actually be doing better going into tough economic climate. They know what makes the average saffa mtb'er tick...

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To all the Pyga fanbois:

What are some negatives aspects of the various Pyga's you ride?

This isn't trolling or being douchey. No bike is perfect - what do you consider a negative of the bike or something that can be improved upon?

Pascoe....its a bit porker. Can it be improved??? maybe composite frame but then I wouldn't have considered buying one.

No no good point...you are 100% right, for an alu frame its at the top end and yes you can get a tupperware giant for the same price BUT and this is a big BUT

You must WANT the giant...and no matter how I play it out in my head....value for money, life time frame warranty, cool new paint schemes....blah blah blah. I just dont want one. I dont know why but I just don't.

See the pyga boys are doing something right....they are creating a want in clients. Maybe its something they put into their pyga brew, or their cool videos that make pinbike highlights reel maybe even the fact that you can have a face to face with the guy that designed your bike over a zamalek scud....who knows.

I bet they might actually be doing better going into tough economic climate. They know what makes the average saffa mtb'er tick...

AAAAND it's supporting local :)

Nothing wrong with the Giants whatsoever, but I just never wanted one for some reason

I hope you are right. We need our Local Brands to succeed. More so we need them to manufacture locally. But that's a pipe dream as they have to chase maximum profitability to keep investors happy. Not much job creation there.

Ya giant is not a sexy brand. They've made a huge effort for 2016 to xoot up the look of their bikes. I suddenly find them appealing to look at. And they're brilliant bikes.

Our local boys have a problem here because it's easiest make something plain, sexy. It's not easy to increase your resources with a declining rand

I hope you are right. We need our Local Brands to succeed. More so we need them to manufacture locally. But that's a pipe dream as they have to chase maximum profitability to keep investors happy. Not much job creation there.

Ya giant is not a sexy brand. They've made a huge effort for 2016 to xoot up the look of their bikes. I suddenly find them appealing to look at. And they're brilliant bikes.

Our local boys have a problem here because it's easiest make something plain, sexy. It's not easy to increase your resources with a declining rand

That boat has sailed I am afraid. You can produce better quality for less in the east.

I agree, they are brilliant bikes, I tested one before pulling the trigger last year and I couldnt fault it...it is the best bike on paper but again, I didnt want it now matter how hard I tried. 

Remember being a small, local outift has its strengths...and they are playing those cards very well...hence their popularity

actually that ship is sailing back into port. China's labour coss are rising to feed the emerging wants of its emerging middle class. Companies chase profit and labour parties wants a slice of that. So costs will rise. It may still take a few years for that to filter down to lower end product but already at the higher manufacturing cost spectrum companies are looking to move manufacture back to the USA and Europe, even the UK.

In SA our challenge is that there's not been enough investment in manufacturing skills.

actually that ship is sailing back into port. China's labour coss are rising to feed the emerging wants of its emerging middle class. Companies chase profit and labour parties wants a slice of that. So costs will rise. It may still take a few years for that to filter down to lower end product but already at the higher manufacturing cost spectrum companies are looking to move manufacture back to the USA and Europe, even the UK.

In SA our challenge is that there's not been enough investment in manufacturing skills.

Saw that too. In the states, a dollar's worth manufacture cost has risen to 96c in China.

Interesting....anything about Taiwan, which I believe is where pygas are born.

Taiwan is about 97-98c on a Dollar with a better quality performance ratio i.e. less comes backs on Taiwanese produced goods compared to China or the USA.

Its this performance that still keeps Taiwan ahead of Indonesia, Vietnam, Cambodia, and Mexico.

Mexico is actually a very good location for manufacturing, including carbon components.

South Africa is not ranked highly and is more expensive due to the lack of labour skills in the composite area and this pushes the per dollar cost quality performance higher than a dollar.

So my beef with local companies who farm manufacturing off too Asia is that they're shooting themselves in the foot by not reinvesting locally in skills development. Till they start to do that, the bulk of the dollar is earned in Asia, not in SA, therefore its not really local in my book.

So I have a question... having never ridden a Pyga - interested in the Pascoe.

Considering there is no VPP or Maestro - do they not bob a lot?

I had a Spez stumpjumper FSR :eek: 140mm that did not have the brain shock. and that bobbed all day long. even in propedal...

I had a Spez stumpjumper FSR :eek: 140mm that did not have the brain shock. and that bobbed all day long. even in propedal...

My Pyga OneTwenty bobs WAAY less than my Spaz Ebduro used to ...if that helps at all :)

We have a medium Pascoe demo at the Trailhead to answer this exact question. But I can answer easily: nope, they don't bob even with suspension fully open. You have to ride it to believe.

On my first ride on my Pyga Pascoe 140 I beat all the flat pedally PRs set on my VPP 140mm bike. ;)

Never once bobbed on my 110. Full floating suspension is extrely good and doesn't need special trickery to work.

Tom

4bar linkage will bob. Needs to have compression damping control.

Faux bar linkage aka single pivot less prone to bob if main pivot position is ideal.

VPP, typically doesn't bob but depends on how lower linkage is configured and how much weight transfer goes through the upper rocker. Much more tunable design than the other

Archived