Pyga 650B vs Giant Trance Advanced

cpelser

Take a look at the silverback slider of you can.

Also keep an eye out for rocky mountain. They are going to be doing a altitude in aluminum with parta spec to challenge the trance and might well come in at a better price with a fox 34 fit4 fork and reverb dropper. ........

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also keep an eye out for rocky mountain. They are going to be doing a altitude in aluminum with parta spec to challenge the trance and might well come in at a better price with a fox 34 fit4 fork and reverb dropper. ........

Wife has the 2014 Slider 1.

She loves it, since she's moved over from a hardtail 29er she's had no falls at all.

I'll take a look at the Rocky Mountain as well, just prefer to buy last year's models at a discount than to pay for what is mostly a resprayed frame :)

The rocky is more "plush" on the way down but the Trance grips better on the way up.

The up bit seals it for me. An all rounder trail bike has to do both well

Wife has the 2014 Slider 1.

She loves it, since she's moved over from a hardtail 29er she's had no falls at all.

Look, I know you've formed this image in your mind that hardtail 29ers are dangerous to ride, but in 95% of cases, falling is not about the bike. If she (or you) isn't falling on the new bike, it's likely 95% placebo. Yes, a bike with more relaxed geometry will provide more confidence, but you're also likely to quickly pick up more speed without realising it so the "safety" factor is cancelled out.

I've fallen/crashed hundreds of times over the years riding countless different bikes. I don't think I could realistically find any correlation between wheel size, suspension travel and propensity to buy dirt, to be honest.

Spend some time focusing on riding technique, you'd be surprised what a difference proper positioning in tackling obstacles can make.

I hope you both enjoy it either way!

Look, I know you've formed this image in your mind that hardtail 29ers are dangerous to ride, but in 95% of cases, falling is not about the bike. 

Spend some time focusing on riding technique, you'd be surprised what a difference proper positioning in tackling obstacles can make.

Agree! It's my technique! However, I bought all my bikes I've owned this far secondhand and didn't really ever get what I wanted.

I weigh a lot so I'm not caught up in the hype of a light bike anymore. (My current Carbon Giant + XO groupset weighed 10.7kgs when I bought it and now weighs just over 11kg since I got better, heavier brakes and wheels etc.

But still, I think one thing I'm sticking to is a 110kg guy at 30km/h has significantly more momentum than the 68kg guys that does all the reviews. Tougher to stop, smaller traction to weight ratio etc. So at the moment I'm just heading towards a dual sus.

Also not concerned about speed, so I do think 650B will be a bit more playful :)

Next time there's a skills clinic in Grabouw we're definitely going as well.

200.gif

Marketing nonsense.

( I hope)

on hte midget side of things, I agree. If only due to the raised stack height that you get with naaai-ners, and the fit compromise that that results in.

200.gif

Marketing nonsense.

( I hope)

hahaha!

Not entirely. If you look at their offerings, you'll notice that they offer 2 options for each size and model except for XC bikes in XS and XXL. This tells me that they're not investing entirely in what they perceive to be "their thing", (like Niner only making 29ers etc). They're give 2 options so that a rider can choose something that possibly works better for their size and riding style.

post-10758-0-24658900-1447835282_thumb.png

Pinkbike had a good write up on the enduro bike (the 601 MK3), and even they were sceptical about the theory until they tried it.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/liteville-601-mk-2-review-2015.html

Plus I think Jo Klieber (the founder of Syntace) might know a thing or 2 about physics and engineering.

Either way... at the end of the day it boils down to 2 things...

1. At over R40k for a frame, I'll probably never get to try one for myself.

2... there is another huge advantage to their system...

...you get to choose TWO wheel sizes to be a d1ck about :lol:

But still, I think one thing I'm sticking to is a 110kg guy at 30km/h has significantly more momentum than the 68kg guys that does all the reviews. Tougher to stop, smaller traction to weight ratio etc. So at the moment I'm just heading towards a dual sus.

Also not concerned about speed, so I do think 650B will be a bit more playful :)

For sure, dual sus is definitely more playful. I'm sure you'll enjoy the confidence it brings.

I had to laugh about your comment about the reviewer, I'm exactly that guy :)

hahaha!

Not entirely. If you look at their offerings, you'll notice that they offer 2 options for each size and model except for XC bikes in XS and XXL. This tells me that they're not investing entirely in what they perceive to be "their thing", (like Niner only making 29ers etc). They're give 2 options so that a rider can choose something that possibly works better for their size and riding style.

attachicon.gifLiteville Size Options.PNG

Pinkbike had a good write up on the enduro bike (the 601 MK3), and even they were sceptical about the theory until they tried it.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/liteville-601-mk-2-review-2015.html

Plus I think Jo Klieber (the founder of Syntace) might know a thing or 2 about physics and engineering.

Either way... at the end of the day it boils down to 2 things...

1. At over R40k for a frame, I'll probably never get to try one for myself.

2... there is another huge advantage to their system...

...you get to choose TWO wheel sizes to be a d1ck about :lol:

So, their different sized wheels are the MTB'ing equivalent of a mullet? Party at the back, business in the front.

Look, I know you've formed this image in your mind that hardtail 29ers are dangerous to ride, but in 95% of cases, falling is not about the bike. If she (or you) isn't falling on the new bike, it's likely 95% placebo. Yes, a bike with more relaxed geometry will provide more confidence, but you're also likely to quickly pick up more speed without realising it so the "safety" factor is cancelled out.

I've fallen/crashed hundreds of times over the years riding countless different bikes. I don't think I could realistically find any correlation between wheel size, suspension travel and propensity to buy dirt, to be honest.

Sorry but I don't with everything you're saying here. There are many people who are just not comfortable on the 29ers. Yes riding technique can overcome much of the discomfort but buying a bike is buying a good set of golf bats. If you can't swing the driver then use the 2 iron or Rescue.

Same with wheels. If someone isn't comfortable on a 29er why keep telling them to adjust riding technique. They gain nothing from the experience except dented confidence and scars. If comfortable on the smaller wheels then that's what they need to work with.

as pointed out above, many manufacturers are realizing the folly of shoving shorter riders onto the big wheels

:drool: Thunderbolt BC Edition!

http://www.bikes.com/sites/default/files/styles/large/public/models/tb_790bcmsl.jpg?itok=pCDyUBax

Edit: Making test riders and reviewers fight each other!

:drool: Thunderbolt BC Edition!

http://www.bikes.com/sites/default/files/styles/large/public/models/tb_790bcmsl.jpg?itok=pCDyUBax

Edit: Making test riders and reviewers fight each other!

would LOVE to throw a leg over one of these. 

Archived