Pyga 650B vs Giant Trance Advanced

cpelser

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have had and a pyga 140 and 120 and currently have a trance alu and carbon trance and a reign. All had pikes on them and xt/xtr/ox1 spec.

Pyga 120 wasn't my favourite bike, because i am quite heavy like you, at 105kg and 185cm.it had a fox 34 140mm on and i was scared to progress to bigger more gnarly stuff. So for me, thats out.

The pascoe was ok but it felt very heavy to me. It does climb better with not so good spec, but the decent was boring when it had a fox 140 on. When i put the pike on it was ALOT better, BUT it still felt heavy to me. It felt like a long travel 29er does. Its nice to ride but its not as PLAYFULL.

The trance alu. Only thing i can say about this bike is that it must have a trough acle at the back. Even with a 160mm pike and good spec it feels like gel at the back on the bigger stuff. If you aren't planning on riding big to start with i would go for this and put a pike and some xt or xo1 stuff and some good brakes on it. Then when you get better you can just change the dropouts to through axle. Its your best optoption on a budget

The carbon trance. Pike 150mm through axle back and front. Xt spec is sufficient if you run 1x10 with 42tooth. This combo is amazing. Its light, its FUN, and it won't say no to the big stuff. You will struggle to be better than what the bike can offer. It climbs crazy well. AND if you put a 200x57 Monarch plus on th back you will never ride anything better. But then you are getter to 60k budget

As for the mighty REIGN. This bike is one of the best bikes i have ridden (second ononly to Santa cruz). Pike 160mm iin the front with debonair on the back(both tunes by a pro, which makes the world of difference). It will make you smile even when you are lying at the bottom of a hill with a broken arm coz you were brave but stupid. It climes really good, not as good as the pyga pascoe at similar spec, but it rips a trail to pieces going down.

So take it from a guy who has had alot of trail bikes. Buy a trance alu or carbon put a pike on and a nice rear shock and you will never look back.

Hi guys..

I weigh about 110kgs. Currently ride a Giant XTC carbon hardtail.

I want to go 650B as I'm never going to be fast.

Read above

Looking at the Trance Advanced 2014 with full XT and a carbon frame versus a Pyga 650B (probably the Onetwenty)

The Giant is R43k and the Pyga R47k

Which would you choose bearing in mind my weight.

I'll likely build my current Guide RS brakes onto the new bike.

Will also likely sell the new bikes wheel and my current Hope+Flow Ex wheels and buy a 650B set of Hope + Flow Ex.

I'm not nearly as skilled as full 140mm travel requires but I dislocated my knee on Die Burger and want to limit my falls by going from a 29er hardtail to a dual sus 650B.

I'm 183cm..

Hope to get some good arguments for/against..

Read above

Considering your height and weight isnt a 29er a better bet something like a stumpy?

There is no basis to the perceived relationship between rider height/size and wheel size. With a well designed frame, anyone can ride a 26", 27.5 or 29".

You want safe how about one of these new 27.5+ bikes? Drooool warning....

http://images.singletracks.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/sherpa_1.jpg

Curious to know why everyone thinks XT is gonna make your bike better or so much lighter,my Spitty has all SLX and it grafts just fine.

Considering your height and weight isnt a 29er a better bet something like a stumpy?

..........shjoe I almost forgot its Friday

Curious to know why everyone thinks XT is gonna make your bike better or so much lighter,my Spitty has all SLX and it grafts just fine.

There is a difference (unfortunately in price, luckily in weight) between 'just fine' and 'awesome'...

I agree. I lose more weight with a decent k a k than you would switching from SLX to XT.

I agree. I lose more weight with a decent k a k than you would switching from SLX to XT.

is this confirmation that you're full of sh...excrement :)

There is a difference (unfortunately in price, luckily in weight) between 'just fine' and 'awesome'...

weight between the two is minimal,but price is big. If you weigh as much as me then weight is not much of an issue,just means I can go faster on the downs.

Archived