Pyga 650B vs Giant Trance Advanced

cpelser

:drool: Thunderbolt BC Edition!

http://www.bikes.com/sites/default/files/styles/large/public/models/tb_790bcmsl.jpg?itok=pCDyUBax

Edit: Making test riders and reviewers fight each other!

Eish, Thou shall not covet................. :w00t: :devil:

What a beauty..........

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay so things have changed a bit.

I can now get the Trance Advanced for an effective R38 000 from my LBS

Literally the only thing I'd prefer to change is to have the fork switched out for a Pike.

I'd take the GIANT and upgrade the fork damper. gets you to a smilar price as the PYGA but you have a carbon main frame and bike that climbs better.

I like the PYGA's but there's no denying that they built to strengthen your legs

Where do I get this done and what do I "upgrade" it to?

Shouldn't I just sell the Talas brand new and buy a Pike or something?

mada: where's that post of yours? i wanna like it.

hah i dont post things like that in public places, gets too much hate and then i have to defend myself from the exact stereotypes i point out, i learnt my lesson when i started the "budget bikes that arent a giant trance" thread 

Okay so things have changed a bit.

I can now get the Trance Advanced for an effective R38 000 from my LBS

Literally the only thing I'd prefer to change is to have the fork switched out for a Pike.

Where do I get this done and what do I "upgrade" it to?

Shouldn't I just sell the Talas brand new and buy a Pike or something?

Give Russell at Omnico a call re the FiT4 upgrade for that fork. He'll guide you on where, who and RRP.

You could also sell the fork and buy a Pike. But then you'd have the hassle of selling it.

if you get offended when people dont like the same things as you, dont bother reading this next bit:

trance advanced (good option, very boring though)

Reign (another good option, especially since youre heavy, also boring)

any pyga (alright option, would be a good option if trek made toasters instead of bikes, boring)

trek remedy 650 (exclusive, fast and interesting-ish, but pricey (could be worse though))

spez stumpy 650 (decent value, fast, and not that common yet, but will be, also, 650b+ might just be a fad, dunno)

kona process 153/134 (sexy, exclusive, very average value though, and only avaliable online through dialdbikes, my personal pick, well, this or the remedy)

orbea rallon (fast, very exclusive, too pricey probably)

lapierre spicey (exclusive, fast, alright value, i think, avaliable through bibi, try get 2016 one, they updated it)

spez enduro 650 (fast, similar price to the stumpy, only more capable, probably, pretty boring though, and everyone thinks the 29 is the one to get)

scott genius (i literally cant tell the difference between this and the spark... good value though)

• 1 month later...

changing the question a little... giant anthem vs a pyga 120 ?

How about Trek Fuel Ex or Merida 120? I think the Merida 120 is the best value bike in this category. Anthem falls into another category.

I am looking at getting a 120mm travel bike for trail riding. After some research the Merida 120 (130mm front) is my 1st choice and 2nd is the Trek Fuel Ex.

I am also a hefty fellow and went from a Giant hard-tail to a Giant Anthem to riding a few 650b Giants in New Zealand (anthem and trance) and recently got the Pyga 29 duel-suss. The Pyga beats all of them hands down. An absolutely insane bike with a 130mm fork. More importantly, it is just tons of fun.

In terms of falling off - one will fall off on all bikes, especially if they not set up correctly, but the Pyga is super stable and the harder you ride it, the better it feels. It really does deal with knocks and hits well.

Mine came with a dropper post and if I drop the saddle and get my weight back, it is actually quite unnerving what the bike can handle. I have mistakenly gone over big drops and rock gardens at full pace (not often though) and it just absorbs it and somehow you still fine - with a MASSIVE smile on your face. 

To all the Pyga fanbois:

What are some negatives aspects of the various Pyga's you ride?

This isn't trolling or being douchey. No bike is perfect - what do you consider a negative of the bike or something that can be improved upon?

To all the Pyga fanbois:

This isn't trolling or being douchey. No bike is perfect - what do you consider a negative of the bike or something that can be improved upon?

To be honest I have not yet found any...

If I had to perhaps nitpick I'd say the standover height could be better, but I have short legs and am in the middle of the Medium frame size recommendation :P

To all the Pyga fanbois:

For its target market - a person who loves riding in the mountains all day, shredding single track, a spot of enduro and perhaps doing the odd multi-day event - it is an exceptional all-round bike. There are better pure XC bikes or better pure Enduro bikes,  but if one has to choose a single all-round bike, it is quite hard to beat.

Some good reviews:

http://bikemagic.com/gear/mtb-bike-reviews/pyga-oneten.html#HqkkPFsMeZP48McG.97

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/category/frames/mountain-bike/product/review-pyga-industries-oneten29-14-48762/

Improvements - it would be great if it was little lighter, but you don't really feel the weight.

To all the Pyga fanbois:

It hasn't stopped me wiping out....otherwise nothing

To all the Pyga fanbois:

This isn't trolling or being douchey. No bike is perfect - what do you consider a negative of the bike or something 

Difficult one to answer.. You build the bike you want, so if you don't like it, its your fault..

With regards to suspension and geometry, etc. Pyga have filled a gap with a frame that is extremely forgiving and bats way above its level with an idiot rider onboard (talking from my own experience ). No need for fancy tricks to make a crap suspension desig  vaguely usable. And you can have a chat with the guy who designed the bike whenever you want..

Negatives: 1. your build might be on the heavy side (my OneTen was around 15kgs) - this isn't necessarily a bad thing for those who are in the Tread Buffalo category. 2. Your bike is a work in progress - the initial build is a template for how you think you might ride - you will spend extra money buying shorter stems and wider bars..

Tom

For an aluminium frame it's expensive. You can buy a giant trance advanced frameset for less than the of the pyga frameset.

Had I'd be concerned with pygas ability to stick it out through a tough financial climate.

I know those statements will attract vitriol

Archived