Plantar Faciitis..

barrykm

Some advice please.

How have Hubbers approached treating this rather uncomfortable condition? 

With proper treatment, how long can it take to clear up, and does it clear up completely?

Grateful to hear your advice and experiences.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You will get many answers including rolling a frozen bottle, stretches, innersole, nightsplints and even radio frequency treatment. If you respond then it is great, but if not, we can treat you like the more than 200 cases a year that I treat with Barbotage.

I've had it for 8 weeks now.

Done the "shock" treatment, frequency treatment and rolling on ice.

Its better but not perfect.

Its a very annoying condition to have. 

Listen to TALUS!

I suffered from PF a while ago.  Went the cortisone, and later the PRP route.  Do not think either of these had any positive effect. 

Ultimately could only get it sorted with VERY slow progressive exercise, laying off running for a year, and progressively building up again with significant biomechanics adjustments.  I had 2 years of pain, with about 2 1/2 years before I could get up to a decent level of training.

This is a very annoying condition.

We find really good results using ShockWave Therapy -- but we also find that the ones which don't react at all, have a tear in the plantar fascia.

cant really comment...I had it briefly for a few runs when i started training..rolled a hockey ball under my foot for a few days at work...and it sorted it out. Its all to do with your later bands...so stretching before and after running will help that...but Talus is really your man

only think that helped me, was to change running shoes to low heel to toe drop (4mil or less) still with cushioning though, worked like a charm.. if all else fails try that, not saying it works for everyone, but it definitely worked for me...

Thanks to all for your responses so far, I try to decide which way to go.

Symptoms less intense this morning - what a relief...but I know this is variable.

Decided to try the simple route first - ice and anti-inflammatory med. I've been icing for the last four days and there is a definite improvement, whether it's sustainable and complete remains to be seen. 

This can be a difficult condition to treat. My advice from many years of treating this common condition is to tackle the cause. In most cases there is a Podiatric biomechanical issue that needs to be addressed. All the rest of the treatment is just gravy. Get yourself to a sports podiatrist and sort the cause of the problem out. www.podiatrist.co.za. Just my 2 cents.

Are you a runner or cyclist? I agree you need to address the cause. I used to get it when I rode a lot without using cycling shoes, i.e. running shoes.

Later when I had problems I had some shoe inserts made which moulded the shape of underneath my feet. I still have them. Basically you get a plaster mould of your footprint, the normal shoe insert is replaced by a custom one which takes the shape of your footprint.

Thanks footdoc and martinpe. I'm a currently inactive cyclist, and I do think that the problem is biomechanical. I do have orthotics but they are long overdue for replacement and indeed I'm also overdue a reassessment with my podiatrist.