Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

How will they check if you are wearing the kit??

They will take a pitcha - but only if you've stuck your number on your helmet/bike (problem solved: don't put that sticka on your helmet)

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW, I'm keen on getting that Elite Fitness Test done - have some (MSA) savings that I can use for this...

To do this assessment at an accredited high-performance centre or university, you need to qualify.

You:

• Have to be between 18 and 59 years old. There is an age limit because of general age-related health risks;
  • Must have completed one of the selected cycling or running events within the qualifying times listed below in the last year;
  • Must have passed the pre-participation screening and given your consent.

The Vitality Elite Fitness Assessment with a biokineticist or sports scientist takes about 90 minutes to complete. It costs R1 500 and it includes the following:

• Anthropometric measurements, including your body mass, stature, body mass index, body fat percentage and skinfolds;
  • An evaluation of mobility and stability;
  • A cycling- or running-specific peak performance test (measuring your maximal oxygen uptake or VO2max).

After reviewing your test results, the biokineticist or sports scientist will email you a comprehensive report. The report will show your individual results and you’ll get training guidelines to improve mobility and stability. It will also help you perform at your best in your chosen sport.

ame="bigjoe" post="2513054" timestamp="1420649775"]

Yeah. I'm not disputing that, and tbh it strikes me as very strange that they'd have included that as a condition. I'm going to go through my presentations again to see if I missed it in the training and launch material, but I doubt it's there as I would have said something about it earlier if there'd been such a stupid condition.

Could you let me know what you receive back from them when they reply to your questions? I'll see if I can wade through it on my side.

The last correspondence I received.  Think i am just going to wait for the launch....

Dear Johan,

Sorry for the delayed response.

With many people away, process will be back to 100% from next week, more information will be released next week.

Team Vitlaity will be launched later this month with the race calendar. You can race in a temporary license in a white shirt according to ASA rules, this is meant to be validated by race marshals.  

Kind regards,

Team Vitality

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry for all the question.  Just trying to finalise our existing club memberships and licence fees.

One of the “T’s & C’s” mentioned becomes very difficult....

You race in your Team Vitality shirt

How will this be enforced and validated?  This also means that we will not qualify for events until such time that the shirts have been distributed.  That in effect means that all events in January and potentially February will no longer be eligible.      

Can you perhaps advise if any triathlon events like, Ironman, Ironman 70.3 and 5150 events are also on the list?

Thanks once again for all the help, it is much appreciated.

Regards,

Johan

BTW, I'm keen on getting that Elite Fitness Test done - have some (MSA) savings that I can use for this...

To do this assessment at an accredited high-performance centre or university, you need to qualify.

You:

• Have to be between 18 and 59 years old. There is an age limit because of general age-related health risks;
  • Must have completed one of the selected cycling or running events within the qualifying times listed below in the last year;
  • Must have passed the pre-participation screening and given your consent.

The Vitality Elite Fitness Assessment with a biokineticist or sports scientist takes about 90 minutes to complete. It costs R1 500 and it includes the following:

• Anthropometric measurements, including your body mass, stature, body mass index, body fat percentage and skinfolds;
  • An evaluation of mobility and stability;
  • A cycling- or running-specific peak performance test (measuring your maximal oxygen uptake or VO2max).

After reviewing your test results, the biokineticist or sports scientist will email you a comprehensive report. The report will show your individual results and you’ll get training guidelines to improve mobility and stability. It will also help you perform at your best in your chosen sport.

I'm also thinking of doing this. Is the VO2 test the one where you go all out and then they prick your finger for some blood?

I'm also thinking of doing this. Is the VO2 test the one where you go all out and then they prick your finger for some blood?

The only test I've done with a finger price is lactic acid test.

VO2max measures O2 and CO2 intake, so I'm guessing you have one of those breathing aparatus' on your mouth/nose

Edit: d'oh! as much as I like autocorrect, it really is irritating when it chooses it's own words.

Edited by geraldm24

The only test I've done with a finger price is lactate acid test.

VO2max measures O2 and CO2 intake, so I'm guessing you have one of those breathing aparatus' on youyour mouth/nose

That makes more sense ja. Thought they measure the amount of oxygen in your blood for VO2, but I like the sound of a breathing thingy more, haha!

I wonder...

Most of the summer races, in GP, close their entries before Team Vitality will be launched. Fast One, Berge & Dale, Serengheti, R4S, among others.

I tried to enter the Fast one now, and I need to buy a day licence, or pay the R120 for CyclingSA as a minimum (forget the full licence as Discovery don't pay for that). Now repeat this 4 times, and I've spent almost the same as getting membersip & affiliate fees. And the membership is valid for 12 months from date of purchase, so this will be a repetitive problem this time every year, unless they renew their club membership from 01-01 every year. The CSA costs don't bother me, as I would still pay it whether Team Discovery were on board or not.

But, if I join through my club, will Team Discovery see me as one of their members? I have already joined and paid for the membership + affiliate fees for "another" club.

Would be interesting to see what happens - spend some money to get some back.

2 more Questions:-

1. When you join team Discovery do they automatically pay your license?

2. Everyone has paid for Argus long ago, so will they automatically refund the 50% ?

This whole thing is a bit of a cluster at the moment. I dont even think Discovery know what they are doing. 

When I sent a query I basically got a cut and paste vague answer about more info to follow at the end of Jan.

You would think they would know the details before the launch?

<script language='javascript'> </script>

The last correspondence I received.  Think i am just going to wait for the launch....

Dear Johan,

Sorry for the delayed response.

With many people away, process will be back to 100% from next week, more information will be released next week.

Team Vitlaity will be launched later this month with the race calendar. You can race in a temporary license in a white shirt according to ASA rules, this is meant to be validated by race marshals.  

Kind regards,

Team Vitality

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Askuus? What are they on about here? 

Askuus? What are they on about here? 

According to one of the T's & C's for the refund is that you need to race in their kit. Due to the fact that races will open before they launch, you will be able to claim the refund if you "You can race in a temporary license in a white shirt according to ASA rules, this is meant to be validated by race marshals. " I assume that this is for running events. there are no mention of what you need to do for cycle races and triathlons.

I think the best is to wait for the launch and then see what the process is. Also, see whether you can get cash back for already done races.

Originally it seemed like an awesome deal, even if you had joined your existing club and Team Vitality. But this doesnt seem to be the case anymore. But lets see what happens at the end of Jan.

I was definitely consering it for triathlon events, as the entry fees are high compared to running and cycling....but not sure about the practicality of using their kit that they have available.

According to one of the T's & C's for the refund is that you need to race in their kit. Due to the fact that races will open before they launch, you will be able to claim the refund if you "You can race in a temporary license in a white shirt according to ASA rules, this is meant to be validated by race marshals. " I assume that this is for running events. there are no mention of what you need to do for cycle races and triathlons.

I think the best is to wait for the launch and then see what the process is. Also, see whether you can get cash back for already done races.

Originally it seemed like an awesome deal, even if you had joined your existing club and Team Vitality. But this doesnt seem to be the case anymore. But lets see what happens at the end of Jan.

I was definitely consering it for triathlon events, as the entry fees are high compared to running and cycling....but not sure about the practicality of using their kit that they have available.

That's what I thought they were referring to, so are they going to have Discovery representatives at each event to check that I run / ride in my Discovery kit?  This is extremely impractical. My enthusiasm has dwindled significantly

That's what I thought they were referring to, so are they going to have Discovery representatives at each event to check that I run / ride in my Discovery kit?  This is extremely impractical. My enthusiasm has dwindled significantly

Don't jump to any conclusions yet. It's due to be launched in Feb. Still being finalized, and we don't have all the answers yet. For little things like this, I'm sure they'll see the errors of their ways. It was probably a committee decision, or some marketing iidea that wasn't really thought out. It happens...

Don't jump to any conclusions yet. It's due to be launched in Feb. Still being finalized, and we don't have all the answers yet. For little things like this, I'm sure they'll see the errors of their ways. It was probably a committee decision, or some marketing iidea that wasn't really thought out. It happens...

Agreed.  Just a pity that things like this come up after the initial launch and hype.  We have decided to renew our licences with our existing cycling and running clubs for now.  If it is possible and worth while, then perhaps we will join Team Vitality as well.

But will have to look at it in February after the launch and take it from there.

Agreed.  Just a pity that things like this come up after the initial launch and hype.  We have decided to renew our licences with our existing cycling and running clubs for now.  If it is possible and worth while, then perhaps we will join Team Vitality as well.

But will have to look at it in February after the launch and take it from there.

Exactly what I'm doing...

Hehe, I can just imagine how great this t-shirt idea sounded in the brainstorming session....

Yep, that kite is never going to fly