Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

I think there's a problem today, I uploaded my ride to Garmin Connect and it still doesn't show on Discovery.

Normally it's shows on Discovery pretty quickly (a few minutes).

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Couple of other savings, but not as many benefits as you get as if you had a Life policy.

so I need to get a life policy? :eek:  :blush:

I am using an old iphone 5...using strava to record rides...no problems with strava uploads....they do take a couple hours to reflect ...however since the beginning of this year i have found the disco app to be very slow when logging in trying to view rewards etc...

i have also learnt not to go to vida then try retrieve the reward...you have to be very patient...now i first make sure the reward is ready to scan before i go collect.

JUst got this. Clarity on the Vigorous / Moderate exercise. I suspect a lot of us would be averaging in excess of 600kCal per hour, hence the classification. 

And the HR average is MAX HR based on age, not HRR. That should give you clarity, Gerald... 

post-3056-0-48538400-1452760316_thumb.jpg

Bloody hell, 10 rides and I'll reach the cap  :thumbdown:

Should have no cap  :clap:

I've noticed that Discovery has deleted some of my points.

I did a jog on the treadmill at the gym for 30 and they saw it as 5000 steps and gave me 50 points.

Now that the VA workout has updated, Discovery have given me the 100 points for being at gym but took away the 50 points for my treadmill activity.

If this is the case then it kind of sucks. Will have to sneak into the gym if I go do a workout on the Watt Bike.

Yeah, they only allow one points scoring effort per day, but they recognise the largest effort. 

Just got over 40K points, for me and the family. Both me and the mrs. will get the full 30K points each for exercise and then we'll both do the HIV & other screening tests etc. Not too worried about holding onto diamond for the year. 

WRT the Max HR %'s, I upload to Discovery directly from Garmin and it appears to use the settings for max HR from the Garmin site.

Just got over 40K points, for me and the family. Both me and the mrs. will get the full 30K points each for exercise and then we'll both do the HIV & other screening tests etc. Not too worried about holding onto diamond for the year. 

WRT the Max HR %'s, I upload to Discovery directly from Garmin and it appears to use the settings for max HR from the Garmin site.

Negative. See above. 220 - age. 

Create a Garmin Connect account and use https://tapiriik.com/ to sync from Strava back to Garmin.

Where there is a will there is always a way.

Can you create a garmin connect account without a garmin? I tried two days ago but was not succesful

My wife and I have the S5 and can access our data.

it takes an absolute age to see the points, activities and rewards, but I don't think that is specific to our phones.

At the beginning of the year I had to disconnect and reconnect Garmin and Discovery as points weren't showing up even though it said that the device had synch'ed. Now there is no problem.

I can see all my points and activitys it just the actual voucher for the vida coffee that does not show anything, just a blank blue card.

Couple of other savings, but not as many benefits as you get as if you had a Life policy.

Thanks, What are those savings if I had Life?

At the moment I have two pension funds through Sanlam and Liberty, both pay out to my family if I decide to Peg, so don't have life.

The Mrs on the other hand has absolutely nothing, could maybe be willing to get life for her. I remember that when I was still studying SARS wouldn't tax in the event I was paying her premiums and she pegged and the payout came to me. Don't know if this is still the case though.

At the moment I have two pension funds through Sanlam and Liberty, both pay out to my family if I decide to Peg, so don't have life.

The Mrs on the other hand has absolutely nothing, could maybe be willing to get life for her. I remember that when I was still studying SARS wouldn't tax in the event I was paying her premiums and she pegged and the payout came to me. Don't know if this is still the case though.

The savings are priced into the premium initially, but become more apparent the longer you are on Gold status or Diamond status, with adjustments to your annual benefit & premium increases, as well as annual and 5-yearly premium paybacks depending on your Status over the period in question.

Essentially, the policy gets cheaper relative to other providers, over time. It can get quite extensive, and Momentum are the only ones that compete with a similar offering, though their discount stops completely if you fall off the bus wrt their Multiply benefit, whereas if you go to Blue status, the savings are slowly whittled away over time. 

Correct on the latter part - Life Policy Premiums (for personal cover) are not tax deductible, therefore the proceeds cannot be taxed. If your wife / husband is the beneficiary, it is considered to be free of estate duty (4Q exemption ie no estate duty on funds going to spouse) but it CAN be Executor Fee-able if you don't have her listed as a beneficiary on the policy. 

I visit a client of mine yesterday who's husband died last year. He did had life insurance that paid out to her, but not enough. They used to live a comfortable life, not luxurious but comfortable. she now struggles to get through per month- They thought they were ok.

I don't know your situation but I would advise you (and everyone else) to do a proper financial planning and get your stuff in order. After I visited the client I immediately phoned my FA so that we can meet and update my stuff. I don't want my wife and kids to go through what this lady is going through at the moment.

Myles obviously knows his stuff, so speak to him.

Negative. See above. 220 - age. 

mmmmm, a medical aid that uses the incorrect method to calculate max HR. one would have thought they knew better.

mmmmm, a medical aid that uses the incorrect method to calculate max HR. one would have thought they knew better.

TBH, I think it's just for ease of use. Can you imagine setting HRR levels at an individual level, which move according to fitness levels and such? From a data integrity point of view, this approach is MUCH simpler. 

They get avg HR from the relevant source (all sources put out this figure) and then apply the calc. Simple. 

Oh, and it's NOT the med aid. Totally separate. This is Vitality. 

Edited by Myles Mayhew