Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Garmin site and some LBSs wouldn't make the discount worthwhile if one has to only use them. I see two sites at about 4400 for the 510, easygis (part of easybike) and iwarehouse. I haven't used either in the past, so I don't know if they're good or bad.

I've used EasyGIS - all went well so I would recommend them based on my transaction.  Their prices always seem to be very competitive...

So as to be expected it not actually worth anything.

I think I will give that a big old skip and just join my local clubs now after waiting to see how this pans out.

Based on the cycling races for Gauteng,

From my calculations, I will pay in R600 and get approx R425 back (including my CSA licence)... but will have a garmin voucher that am unlikely to use as already have one (was considering a forunner 15, but not on the list), a rudy projects voucher that is unlikely to be used as don\t require a new helmet or glasses, and a kit that I will only use 2 maybe 3 times to get the discount.

The vitality points I can log and already do log under outdoor sporting events

So is costing me money to join.....hmmmmm

I was very excited about this when they first started advertising it, but I wont be joining based on the events covered. I've got a GPS, helmet and glasses already. The whole offering doesnt make financial sense to me anymore. I think a large percentage of cyclists probably feel the same.

I like the idea and kudos to Discovery for introducing the idea.  They have truly changed the world with regards to behavioral economics and using the carrot approach to incentivize people to make healthy choices. 

I am sure this must be a logistical challenge to manage to incorporate all these races into the programme.  Saying that I wonder if this is a stepping stone from which they can add more races and improve the programme.  They should partner with Roag and Cycleevents etc to add all their listed races on the programme, it could be a seemless process and add value to members.  I

I wonder what the value proposition will be in year two and three if in theory one bought a helmet, Garmin, glasses and have the jersey in year 1 then in the subsequent years one does not need many other items. 

I like the idea and kudos to Discovery for introducing the idea.  They have truly changed the world with regards to behavioral economics and using the carrot approach to incentivize people to make healthy choices. 

I am sure this must be a logistical challenge to manage to incorporate all these races into the programme.  Saying that I wonder if this is a stepping stone from which they can add more races and improve the programme.  They should partner with Roag and Cycleevents etc to add all their listed races on the programme, it could be a seemless process and add value to members.  I

I wonder what the value proposition will be in year two and three if in theory one bought a helmet, Garmin, glasses and have the jersey in year 1 then in the subsequent years one does not need many other items. 

I agree it would be better if they did partner and add more events and that is what everyone is disappointed with, as the original flyer had many more events.  Attached is the original proposed list... compare that to what is actual listed as the races.

if it was a logistical challenge, why initially promote so many events.  As for the vitality management of it, pretty much every event you can think of is already logged under get vitality points on outdoor sporting events, to which you can already claim the vitality points and many already do including myself.

TeamVitalityPage.pdf

Edited by shaper

I agree it would be better if they did partner and add more events and that is what everyone is disappointed with, as the original flyer had many more events.  Attached is the original proposed list... compare that to what is actual listed as the races.

if it was a logistical challenge, why initially promote so many events.  As for the vitality management of it, pretty much every event you can think of is already logged under get vitality points on outdoor sporting events, to which you can already claim the vitality points and many already do including myself do

I agree with you.  I think Discovery need to communicate better and explain to us why they have pulled back on the number of races etc.  It is always better to under promise and over deliver and definately not the other way around like this. 

I am shocked they have so few MTB races (single day) as the growth in cycling is in MTB. 

I wonder what will happen to those that have already paid for the Serengeti race as well as the Argus etc.  How do we get reimbursed if we sign up for Team Vitality?

I wonder what will happen to those that have already paid for the Serengeti race as well as the Argus etc.  How do we get reimbursed if we sign up for Team Vitality?

I asked a similar question as I have already entered and paid for the Discovery ITU Triathlon in Cape Town in April. Half of that money back in my pocket makes it worth my while to join and this is the response I got:

You will receive cash backs for events you have already registered for, provided that:

• It is on the Team Vitality race calendar
  • The race is completed
  • You have not reached the quarterly spend limit of R3 000
  • You race in your Team Vitality shirt

I have since replied to indicate that I cannot race in their shirt as this is a triathlon event and I'm awaiting their response on this...

I agree with you.  I think Discovery need to communicate better and explain to us why they have pulled back on the number of races etc.  It is always better to under promise and over deliver and definately not the other way around like this. 

I am shocked they have so few MTB races (single day) as the growth in cycling is in MTB. 

I have asked them on facebook these kinds of questions.

I was told that we are getting expensive kit included as well. When asked what kind of kit, they have no idea. So another promise to get people to sign up and then it turns out to be a R20 cotton shirt.

Discovery, get your stuff together, then launch it. Dont go on about something that is not even sorted.

I love the R3000 max per 1/4. Like that would ever happen.

Nice idea, very poor execution. A lot of people are going to part with money thinking they will be able to save a little on entries.

I think Discovery felt they needed a differentiator in the market and rushed this product.  Possibly Momentum have a competing product that will launch soon.  I have always felt that Vitality with its link to their credit card and life insurance etc has been a superior product to the rest of the market but I look at Momentum these days and there involvement in Cycling and Golf and it really makes me think twice about Discovery.  Even Liberty have a good rewards programme that in many ways is better than Discovery.  Discovery have the numbers but things can change pretty fast if people see a better value proposition elsewhere. 

I asked a similar question as I have already entered and paid for the Discovery ITU Triathlon in Cape Town in April. Half of that money back in my pocket makes it worth my while to join and this is the response I got:

You will receive cash backs for events you have already registered for, provided that:

• The race is completed
  • You have not reached the quarterly spend limit of R3 000
I have since replied to indicate that I cannot race in their shirt as this is a triathlon event and I'm awaiting their response on this...

• The race is completed
  • You have not reached the quarterly spend limit of R3 000

Don't bet on getting your money back on triathlons. As it stands, no triathlons are on the vitality race calendar anymore

I have a feeling that the list is incomplete, there is the 2nd Ashburton race in Sabie listed but none of the others, I am guessing they will publish an updated list at some point.

I have a feeling that the list is incomplete, there is the 2nd Ashburton race in Sabie listed but none of the others, I am guessing they will publish an updated list at some point.

I agree, it looks like they added the races for Feb 2015 and the major ones for the rest of the year. I also think the other smaller ones will follow soon. Like the Nissan Trailseeker series, but it only starts end of May so no rush.

They also do say that you only get the cash back after completing the event, so you can enter for whatever you want, they only worry about it after the fact.