Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

Ah makes sense. So there is no point in a GPS watch just get the heart rate tracking going properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I must be the luckiest guy on Discovery.....

Had no issues linking devices (Even my old Edge 305 works a treat). My wife has a Forerunner 35 that auto syncs after every session. Bit more effort required with the 305...

My cash back values are right and no issues with the paybacks. Health gear works 100%. No shoe booster or gym booster (Legacy Gym member).

Insufficient points were allocated with the Bio at our fitness assessment but my broker sorted that out (They actually picked up the mistake and queried on our behalf)

Had 3 claims using the Disco vehicle insurance. 1st one was shocking but that was the service providers fault. My broker sorted that out for me very quickly. Second one was an insurance write off and even though Disco don't do buy backs, my broker was able to arrange for me to get my baby back and it's back on the road (actually better than before the accident). Last one was a fender bender on my wife's car and that went without a hitch.

Fuel cashback is being paid monthly.

They paid out for a pair of lost sunnies a few months ago under unspecified all risks without a hitch.

My cash refund on my life insurance based on vitality status and medical claims was paid out at the end of last five year cycle and that went towards my new motorcycle.

In a nutshell, I have only had a few issues and all of those issue have been sorted out by my broker or one of his employees.

There are a few hoops to jump through but nothing unrealistic. We are not the sportiest family around but with minimal effort we hit Gold every year without any problems. (Maintained Diamond for the last 5 years and about to hit it again in the next month or two)

The Vitality Active Rewards are a [motivational] tool for us to get some points. It's not about the smoothies or coffees. My wife and I have roughly the same points targets so it's a bit of a competition to see who gets theirs (I'm getting my arse handed to me on a weekly basis.....)

Are there cheaper options out there? Yes there are. With less hassle? Yes. Would I recommend them? Yes, but if you are going to do the vitality thing, you need to embrace it 100% and integrate all the products to gain maximum benefit. Oh and it's a LOT less hassle if you go through a broker.....

TL;DR: Discovery is great. Plenty of benefits. Make it work for you. Do it through a broker and let them handle the problems. 

Need some feedback on the quality of service from Disco Insure ? They have quoted me about R300 cheaper but concerned about the service, and more so the tracker unit for driving.

I often break the rules that they have pointed out, speed, braking etc. Does this only count towards the cash back, and will it affect my premiums going forward ? I fear that they will use your history, point you out as a high risk driver then nail you on the premium increase.

Ah makes sense. So there is no point in a GPS watch just get the heart rate tracking going properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, on the Discovery site does show the following for some of my workouts:

Speed 10.12 km/hr

Higher points awarded for fitness for the day.

So, it does look as if the speed could be useful in some cases. Probably not worth replacing your HR-only watch for though, as at the speed that would count for higher points your heart-rate will probably be high enough anyway.

Need some feedback on the quality of service from Disco Insure ? They have quoted me about R300 cheaper but concerned about the service, and more so the tracker unit for driving.

I often break the rules that they have pointed out, speed, braking etc. Does this only count towards the cash back, and will it affect my premiums going forward ? I fear that they will use your history, point you out as a high risk driver then nail you on the premium increase.

I have only had mine for about two months so I have no idea whether it will be used to penalise you later ito premium etc, but I have found I definitely drive a bit more carefully knowing I'll lose points/stars...

I now know a certain stretch of road here is actually 60km/h, instead of the 80 I thought it was, for example <grumble>

No issues with them. All claims from Disco side handled well. My advice though is to go through a broker.

As far as the tracker goes, according to them, they will not use the info against you. I was skeptical in the beginning but it has definitely changed the way I drive. If I drive like a knob, I lose points and that means less cash back from my fuel spend (They also do rewards BTW... coffee, smoothies, parking vouchers etc. All you need is 100km event free and you get rewarded ;) )

Better driving means less chances of accidents/incidents as well as fewer fines and less stress.

What really winds me up with Vitality is that some fat ass could drag themselves around the mall drinking 20 Cokes but as long as they get 10,000 recorded steps we're considered the same in achievements. I've ridden multiple long distances (100km+) but because it wasn't a race and my heart rate was under the 70%-79% for the required time, I get 100 points.

What really winds me up with Vitality

Well, on the Discovery site does show the following for some of my workouts:

Speed 10.12 km/hr

Higher points awarded for fitness for the day.

So, it does look as if the speed could be useful in some cases. Probably not worth replacing your HR-only watch for though, as at the speed that would count for higher points your heart-rate will probably be high enough anyway.

You need to consider MTB vs Road as well... If avg speeds are the same, I am pretty sure the HR will be higher on a MTB considering the terrain and therefore more point allocated surely?

You need to consider MTB vs Road as well... If avg speeds are the same, I am pretty sure the HR will be higher on a MTB considering the terrain and therefore more point allocated surely?

No doubt. Or for a run - pitiful speed, HR through the roof. I guess the speed will only be useful should something go wrong with your HR monitor on the day and measures low/nothing.

What really winds me up with Vitality is that some fat ass could drag themselves around the mall drinking 20 Cokes but as long as they get 10,000 recorded steps we're considered the same in achievements. I've ridden multiple long distances (100km+) but because it wasn't a race and my heart rate was under the 70%-79% for the required time, I get 100 points.

What really winds me up with Vitality

change to the high performance category, this will solve your issues. Your goal will increase to 1200 points but it will be easier to achieve.

https://www.discovery.co.za/portal/individual/vitality-fitness-table-elite-sep-2016

post-67394-0-59729200-1494579475_thumb.jpg

No issues with them. All claims from Disco side handled well. My advice though is to go through a broker.

As far as the tracker goes, according to them, they will not use the info against you. I was skeptical in the beginning but it has definitely changed the way I drive. If I drive like a knob, I lose points and that means less cash back from my fuel spend (They also do rewards BTW... coffee, smoothies, parking vouchers etc. All you need is 100km event free and you get rewarded ;) )

Better driving means less chances of accidents/incidents as well as fewer fines and less stress.

I think I am going to give it a go. Just spoke to them again now and they have put a decent package together. Just short of R500 cheaper than my current package.

Zero excess on portable items - camera's / bikes etc & 10% discount on my life policies.

I think I am going to give it a go. Just spoke to them again now and they have put a decent package together. Just short of R500 cheaper than my current package.

Zero excess on portable items - camera's / bikes etc & 10% discount on my life policies.

Ask them to include accidental breakage as well... (E.g. Cricket ball through the TV screen)

They slaughtered my existing insurance with their initial quote. But once they added the extra tick boxes to the option (Thanks to Myles for the heads up) it brought it all back in line again. HOWEVER, with the "extras" like the tracker (free) and the cash back on fuel, it made it worth the effort but only once the Vitality integration was done.

Basically make 100% sure that you are comparing apples with apples. If both policies are offering the same benefits then your decision will be easier.

Ask them to include accidental breakage as well... (E.g. Cricket ball through the TV screen)

They slaughtered my existing insurance with their initial quote. But once they added the extra tick boxes to the option (Thanks to Myles for the heads up) it brought it all back in line again. HOWEVER, with the "extras" like the tracker (free) and the cash back on fuel, it made it worth the effort but only once the Vitality integration was done.

Basically make 100% sure that you are comparing apples with apples. If both policies are offering the same benefits then your decision will be easier.

Great, thanks for the heads up. Will go through everything and make sure they on par. thanks again :thumbup:

I must be the luckiest guy on Discovery.....

Had no issues linking devices (Even my old Edge 305 works a treat). My wife has a Forerunner 35 that auto syncs after every session. Bit more effort required with the 305...

My cash back values are right and no issues with the paybacks. Health gear works 100%. No shoe booster or gym booster (Legacy Gym member).

Insufficient points were allocated with the Bio at our fitness assessment but my broker sorted that out (They actually picked up the mistake and queried on our behalf)

Had 3 claims using the Disco vehicle insurance. 1st one was shocking but that was the service providers fault. My broker sorted that out for me very quickly. Second one was an insurance write off and even though Disco don't do buy backs, my broker was able to arrange for me to get my baby back and it's back on the road (actually better than before the accident). Last one was a fender bender on my wife's car and that went without a hitch.

Fuel cashback is being paid monthly.

They paid out for a pair of lost sunnies a few months ago under unspecified all risks without a hitch.

My cash refund on my life insurance based on vitality status and medical claims was paid out at the end of last five year cycle and that went towards my new motorcycle.

In a nutshell, I have only had a few issues and all of those issue have been sorted out by my broker or one of his employees.

There are a few hoops to jump through but nothing unrealistic. We are not the sportiest family around but with minimal effort we hit Gold every year without any problems. (Maintained Diamond for the last 5 years and about to hit it again in the next month or two)

The Vitality Active Rewards are a [motivational] tool for us to get some points. It's not about the smoothies or coffees. My wife and I have roughly the same points targets so it's a bit of a competition to see who gets theirs (I'm getting my arse handed to me on a weekly basis.....)

Are there cheaper options out there? Yes there are. With less hassle? Yes. Would I recommend them? Yes, but if you are going to do the vitality thing, you need to embrace it 100% and integrate all the products to gain maximum benefit. Oh and it's a LOT less hassle if you go through a broker.....

TL;DR: Discovery is great. Plenty of benefits. Make it work for you. Do it through a broker and let them handle the problems. 

I was exactly like you before I decided to active the shoe booster and Vitality baby both which have numerous flaws.

Everything else works fine for me.