Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

Hi guys

I'm really sorry for this stupid question, I've tried reading through the past few pages and it all gets very confusing.. but I am looking at getting a Garmin Epix 2 watch through Sportsmans Warehouse via the Vitality money back program.  

What is the best way to get the most discount?  I've got Vitality on Diamond status and also got Money but only on Bronze.

Thank you

Wesley

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, WesleyR said:

Hi guys

I'm really sorry for this stupid question, I've tried reading through the past few pages and it all gets very confusing.. but I am looking at getting a Garmin Epix 2 watch through Sportsmans Warehouse via the Vitality money back program.  

What is the best way to get the most discount?  I've got Vitality on Diamond status and also got Money but only on Bronze.

Thank you

Wesley

Go to the app, Vitality, Vitality Active Gear, Devices.
What discount do you get? This is the upfront discount % that is applied to the first R4000 of the Garmin's costs.

Then, how many D-Miles do you have?
On the 15th you can spend 100 miles of the cost of 60 miles - Double Discount day.

So this specific device has the Vitality tick on it, so it qualifies.
You will get the % of R4000 off when you purchase.
Let's assume you're on 50% by virtue of achieving the following:

• Active Rewards activated (10%)
  • Health Check (10%)
  • Age (5%)
  • Exercise goals achieved (25%)

That means you get R2000 off the purchase, and you'd have to pay the balance in cash, card or using D-Miles.

For every 10,000 miles redeemed on the 15th of March, you will have R1,400 converted from D-Miles to use as payment; R1200 if you use the normal 20% discount on any other day.

So to get this without paying any hard cash/card payments, then you need +/- 150,000 D-Miles. I see there are other Epix 2 devices priced at R18,999, so you'd need another 24,000 D-Miles to avoid paying with any cash.

image.png.305dfa3d74028f0f5a30e494cf07dd87.png

Awesome thank you so much for the great explanation. I'm currently on 50% discount on devices, working at getting it higher. 

Much appreciated. 

Has anyone received their cash back for the 99er race? When do Discovery actually refund these back to you? As in how long after the race?

Payment last are done after every quarter, so end of March is Q1. Payment should then be on your next payment cycle. I think mine was around the 3rd week of the month, so I’ll only check after end April.

• 2 weeks later...

We used the Vitality device benefit yesterday, bought my wife a Garmin Forerunner 45s as she will be joining Vitality and getting more into exercising. That is the plan at least.
Watch was R3399-00, with the 55% discount we paid a little over R1500.

Will be interesting to see the change when she does join. To date it is very much worth the money, we get back all of my Vitality premiums and my banking fee's through the Discovery miles I am earning from training and jumping through the various hoops.

• 2 months later...

Hi All quick question, can I get discount at sportmans warehouse on a wahoo kicr core smart trainer?

Thanks

Yes, the usual 10-25% of a max monthly spend of R2000. So about R200-R500.

Occasionally they send out a discount code, which I managed to get when buying mine.

Then, if you have Miles, wait for the 15th, Double Miles day to get further savings.

Im definitely gonna wait till the 15th but was hoping the upfront discount would have been a bit better😁. Guess ill have to save miles for another couple of months

They had a promotion in February and March to get 15% off the retail price at SWH. Just keep an eye on their FB page, or your email account.

I wouldn’t bet against them doing it again in the lead up to RideJoburg .

C57B70F0-765D-4FCA-B27F-2D13FB26DA62.png.38fc7f581f434cc4eba26875258d717b.png4270338E-9260-44D2-8781-62738CD1B0F9.png.c6394eb892df6809cdaa0f8d7ef50525.png

On 2/4/2022 at 1:20 PM, ouzo said:

this is one thing I found very frustrating before I joined and even whilst I was a member. Getting a straight answer to things. It seems one needs to spend a large amount of time familiarizing yourself with all the ins and outs and loopholes and nuances especially when it comes to vitality.

Just seems like way to much admin to me.

Poor documentation on their offerings and call centres don't know jack. I'll just do eBucks and go without Vitality thank you.

Discovery insure use Google for their speed limit zones and it's not 100%. Recently got docked for doing 80 in an 80 zone that Google and by extension, Discovery, thought was 30!

Check your events if you don't. And alert them on insuremaintenance@discovery.co.za - I sent a Google streetview screenshot as proof. Seems a faff, but when there's benefits (money) involved, it seems reasonable to expect what is owed to me.

2 hours ago, lechatnoir said:

Discovery insure use Google for their speed limit zones and it's not 100%. Recently got docked for doing 80 in an 80 zone that Google and by extension, Discovery, thought was 30!

Check your events if you don't. And alert them on insuremaintenance@discovery.co.za - I sent a Google streetview screenshot as proof. Seems a faff, but when there's benefits (money) involved, it seems reasonable to expect what is owed to me.

Life is to short to spend my time checking:

1. Did Vitality log my events correctly

2. Did I get all the points and rewards due to me

3. Did their system penalise my driving ...

EDIT - as per following posts .... this post was intended to show that the CLIENT should not have to be checking almost daily to ensure that the Vitality system is actually working ..... life is jut too short to deal with this type of business practice.

Edited by ChrisF

16 minutes ago, lechatnoir said:

I did the same, but took a few calls with my broker and escalations before it was resolved.

On 3/7/2022 at 4:02 PM, Bub Marley said:

Has anyone received their cash back for the 99er race? When do Discovery actually refund these back to you? As in how long after the race?

On 3/8/2022 at 9:13 AM, Frosty said:

Payment last are done after every quarter, so end of March is Q1. Payment should then be on your next payment cycle. I think mine was around the 3rd week of the month, so I’ll only check after end April.

On 3/8/2022 at 9:15 AM, Frosty said:

There was a glitch in their system and has been fixed. It will be paid in this current month’s billing cycle.

0B5A64CE-9BDF-4D81-A1A6-322ECB2DA0C9.png