Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

5 hours ago, Frosty said:

There was a glitch in their system and has been fixed. It will be paid in this current month’s billing cycle.

0B5A64CE-9BDF-4D81-A1A6-322ECB2DA0C9.png

I’m not sure when the next billing cycle will be. I was told end of may. But still not refunded yet. Hopefully it will be credited when i get my other cash back.

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

32 minutes ago, Michael S said:

Then don't spend you miles/rewards on things you don't need? 

Spend it on things you would be buying anyways. 

I get about R1.5k of toiletries, cleaning supplies ect.(things I would be buying regardless) Every month on the 15th from Dischem paid with my months miles. Never coffees and things (sometimes the odd bike bits from sportsmans, but thats more important than toilet paper)

I then spend the extra R1.5k I have each month to supplement my medial aid, which I need regardless of rewards because you know, RSA public health care.

For me, I buy my toilet paper and cleaning supplies on my staff account.
So i get to spend my miles on other things.

Different strokes for different folks.

4 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

I’m not sure when the next billing cycle will be. I was told end of may. But still not refunded yet. Hopefully it will be credited when i get my other cash back.

Ek sê maar niks nie...
I got my Insure cashback on the 12th, so maybe my Vitality is the same date.
Will query it on the 17th if nothing, as it would've been a month.

4 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Their system is fundamentally flawed !!

The fact that users "need to" check all these items points to a broken system.

Their system is extremely frustrating. They have the most complicated but by far the most rewarding product, but a system that cannot cope with it. The reason people put up with it is because of the rewards and they know that.

2 hours ago, madmarc said:

Vitality has become the biggest scam ever invented. Members are all led to believe they get rewarded with free stuff for being active. when the goal is to actually have healthier members to reduce their insurance risk.

Until they start offering reduced premiums on Med Aid and Life Insurance based on your Vitality status then it will remain a scam in my opinion. 

Of course their goal is to reduce their risk. They’re a business at the end of the day and they need to be profitable.

2 hours ago, madmarc said:

Then give me 10 or 15% cash back on my med aid prem at the end of the year and let me draw out leftover savings that i have left because i'm such an active healthy chap ( I have nearly 100K sitting there not earning interest) - Don't force me to go buy sh$t that i don't really need and then discount it telling me thats my reward - Or tell me i have to visit a restaurant i don't particularly like to get my free coffee 

No one is forcing you to buy anything. You can covert your miles to cash if you want to as well. I get so much miles every month, sometimes i dont even know where it’s coming from. As frustrating as they are, I can put up with it just based on how much back i get every month.

Besides the miles at pnp and clicks which account for so much cash back, I get money back at Nandos, i get money back from petrol. Last month I got so much miles back, i could use everything on a car seat for my baby. 

This month im gonna get the same plus my cash back on the 2 races i did.

So im willing to put up with the **** mainly because they giving me money for nothing.

2 hours ago, Frosty said:

Life policies with Discovery are based on your Vitality status, and amount of Health spend.

There's a new benefit where instead of 50% of premiums back after 5 years, you can get double after 10 years. I'm still waiting for the definition of double, if it's double every year from years 6-10, or something else. My brokers weren't able to answer that question in front of me.

I am a broker and its double from year 1. 

5 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

I am a broker and its double from year 1. 

that wasn't difficult. Thanks

1 hour ago, Michael S said:

Then don't spend you miles/rewards on things you don't need? 

Spend it on things you would be buying anyways. 

I get about R1.5k of toiletries, cleaning supplies ect.(things I would be buying regardless) Every month on the 15th from Dischem paid with my months miles. Never coffees and things (sometimes the odd bike bits from sportsmans, but thats more important than toilet paper)

I then spend the extra R1.5k I have each month to supplement my medial aid, which I need regardless of rewards because you know, RSA public health care.

that's a lot of toiletries and cleaning products. You running a hotel? 😆

3 minutes ago, lechatnoir said:

that's a lot of toiletries and cleaning products. You running a hotel? 😆

Hahah, Dischem has got quite a wide variety of things, I buy the monthly cereals, nuts, recovery drinks, nappies, baby needs, the wife buys creams and make up things R1.5k goes away quite quickly.

36 minutes ago, Frosty said:

For me, I buy my toilet paper and cleaning supplies on my staff account.
So i get to spend my miles on other things.

Different strokes for different folks.

Yep, the point is to spend it on thing you would be buying anyway, and not expensive coffees (unless you are usually spending cash on it.)

36 minutes ago, Michael S said:

Yep, the point is to spend it on thing you would be buying anyway, and not expensive coffees (unless you are usually spending cash on it.)

Yip, stopped buying coffees and smoothies when they changed the system to pool the game-board miles.

One MacBook (for the wife) and a Kickr Core funded from miles, on double miles day.

8 hours ago, madmarc said:

Then give me 10 or 15% cash back on my med aid prem at the end of the year and let me draw out leftover savings that i have left because i'm such an active healthy chap ( I have nearly 100K sitting there not earning interest) - Don't force me to go buy sh$t that i don't really need and then discount it telling me thats my reward - Or tell me i have to visit a restaurant i don't particularly like to get my free coffee 

Change to an option without savings until you have used up your existing accumulated savings. 

10 minutes ago, Oodles said:

Change to an option without savings until you have used up your existing accumulated savings. 

They will pay you out after 6 months after leaving a plan with a savings account.

6 hours ago, Bub Marley said:

Their system is extremely frustrating. They have the most complicated but by far the most rewarding product, but a system that cannot cope with it. The reason people put up with it is because of the rewards and they know that.

Of course their goal is to reduce their risk. They’re a business at the end of the day and they need to be profitable.

No one is forcing you to buy anything. You can covert your miles to cash if you want to as well. I get so much miles every month, sometimes i dont even know where it’s coming from. As frustrating as they are, I can put up with it just based on how much back i get every month.

Besides the miles at pnp and clicks which account for so much cash back, I get money back at Nandos, i get money back from petrol. Last month I got so much miles back, i could use everything on a car seat for my baby. 

This month im gonna get the same plus my cash back on the 2 races i did.

So im willing to put up with the **** mainly because they giving me money for nothing.

The crux of FNB's eBucks is that you have to shop at Checkers, Clicks and Engen (given that you jump through all the hoops of course). 

Who are Discovery's "partners"? Sounds like you have to shop at PNP, Dischem and BP?

44 minutes ago, M L said:

The crux of FNB's eBucks is that you have to shop at Checkers, Clicks and Engen (given that you jump through all the hoops of course). 

Who are Discovery's "partners"? Sounds like you have to shop at PNP, Dischem and BP?

Shell is also on the fuel list. Here’s the full list.

ED31ACEA-2800-4622-A2CC-E9877ADE7C6E.png

F642F9E5-BED8-4704-9892-3A205B9869B5.png

83A71F44-61EC-4F18-9CFE-609391F20F26.png

435FCA96-9A91-426C-A1BF-0DE17D9890F7.png

DE4C3F66-BA55-4D43-9030-DD539547EC86.png

C8336740-1054-40F9-911B-CD70CDDA170A.png

7F38561B-07B2-4D61-865E-DDEFB715D445.jpeg

0BC8361C-9A72-41FD-AEA6-914B5706E1E3.png

16 hours ago, Michael S said:

Hahah, Dischem has got quite a wide variety of things, I buy the monthly cereals, nuts, recovery drinks, nappies, baby needs, the wife buys creams and make up things R1.5k goes away quite quickly.

Would you not the same cash back percentage from PnP or Woolworths though?
We do about R1000 a month from Dischem, wife and kids mostly. Then get cash back on fuel and the PnP shopping.
All in all we get back more than we spend on Vitality and the Discovery banking. Helps our family to get active as we have started doing Parkrun and my wife joined Vitality too so she is more active these days.
Our miles feed our Takealot addiction mostly. The D-day on the 15% is a winner.....
I was using miles to pay for pre-paid electricity too, and still do if I have enough accumulated. Nice 15% discount goes a long way with electricity.