Tjoopless Help!

Odinson

I'm trying to do a tubeless conversion on my OEM Commencal rims. 

The problem I'm having is that there is a constant air leak at the valve stem. From some reading, I can figure out that it is either a leak at the base of the valve or there is air leaking into the inner rim cavity from somewhere else, which exits at the valve stem. 

I've put an extra piece of rim Stan's rim strip at the valve hole and fastened the nut nice and tight, but alas, no joy.The strip is also nicely installed (after a few attempts) and I can't see anywhere that the air might leak into the inner cavity. 

Also, there is a leak at the weld joint! Can that be patched up or should the rim be binned?

I despise running tubes, so this is really damn annoying.

Any advice?

Tyres used tubeless?

Yip. Tyres seat beautifully. Get them up to 2bar easily and then the air just starts coming out at the valve stem.

Silicon spray on the valve core rubber. Unscrew the core and spray some silicon on that small rubber seal. Worked for me the last time.

I have pulled a valve through the inner rim section, because I wanted in nice and tight..so it's a bit of a balance..

also,when putting the tyre on, it could pull some of the tape away, causing air to escape.

I have had similar experience...basically took the tyre off, cleaned and added another lot of rim tape.

Yip. Tyres seat beautifully. Get them up to 2bar easily and then the air just starts coming out at the valve stem.

Try a new valve.  Yes, I know the leakage is at the stem but you never know.

I feel your pain. I had that issue once for a whole night before a race...drove me fricking nuts.

Get some plumbers white tape ,wrap it around the top of the valve. So that it just fits into the rim hole

Been there struggled already.

Remove your rim tape and refresh. BE CAREFUL when using tire levers. That was how I managed to "damage" the rim tape and could not see the small depressions that compromised the tape seal. Thus air leaked into the inner rim and exit via the valve stem.

New rim tape and Voila. Problem solved.

26er tjoepie on a 29er wheel.....best of both worlds.

Or use a tube, slice it open use it as rim tape and valve

Been there struggled already.

Remove your rim tape and refresh. BE CAREFUL when using tire levers. That was how I managed to "damage" the rim tape and could not see the small depressions that compromised the tape seal. Thus air leaked into the inner rim and exit via the valve stem.

New rim tape and Voila. Problem solved.

As Above. And Beer...

Try a new valve.  Yes, I know the leakage is at the stem but you never know.

I feel your pain. I had that issue once for a whole night before a race...drove me fricking nuts.

Brand new valve - so definitely not the problem.

It's a Schrader rim and I've got some nice Joe's Schrader tubeless valves.

Some more info: I haven't yet added sealant, as I first wanted to make sure I have a good seal. If I put sealant now, I'll probably just end up with a latex mess all over.

Archived