Gauteng Road & TT Champs 2016

Ryinc

Could be. Was a blue car. Is she the wife of a rider that was in the break ???? ;-)

I'm not sure who was in the break, I ride a younger age group.

Yes she was definitely at your race Gerald following VC.

I only know of one husband (rider) and wife (official) combo and he rides VA.

I don't know the other families involved, but out of the officials that were listed for duty at the CCMNC race, their are two surnames in common for both riders and officials.

If that is the case, then I suggest the riders in VC object if it's a problem.

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure who was in the break, I ride a younger age group.

Yes she was definitely at your race Gerald following VC.

Interesting, indeed.

Gerald, where did you find list of names of officials and riders ?

I posted a message on CGC Facebook page to ask what being done about race and the official, but obviously no answer.

I imploded out of the break after putting in some hard turns to get the original 3-man break away. My teammates were superb though. Well ridden Rasta as well :thumbup:

Thanks i saw you were struggling after your hard turns, me too cause I was behind you...but somehow I managed to hold on. Good ride

Great result Rasta, nice meeting you at TOGH

Thanks

Gerald, where did you find list of names of officials and riders ?

I posted a message on CGC Facebook page to ask what being done about race and the official, but obviously no answer.

With my involvement at the Carnival City Macsteel National Classic. I know a few of them and the others know me because it's my job to get the results from them to be in time for prize giving.

Also, the final race report from the PC (President Commissaire) lists them in each category.

Looking through that race report, seems VC were asked a few times to stay left of the line.

Edit: the list of riders and official's names is from the CCMNC, which had most, if not all, the riders and officials that would have taken part at GP champs.

You win bragging rights to say you are Gauteng champ

And I guess like having finished the Epic just another thing that should not be mentioned as it makes you look like a chop ... at least that is what we are lead to believe maar nouja

With my involvement at the Carnival City Macsteel National Classic. I know a few of them and the others know me because it's my job to get the results from them to be in time for prize giving.

Also, the final race report from the PC (President Commissaire) lists them in each category.

Looking through that race report, seems VC were asked a few times to stay left of the line.

Edit: the list of riders and official's names is from the CCMNC, which had most, if not all, the riders and officials that would have taken part at GP champs.

Gerald, the major complaint is, the official can't stop the chasing bunch but leave the break to continue while this is happening. The entire race should be neutralized if they want to stop the race to warn about crossing the line. Some places were unavoidable to cross. The other issue is that the break went away after attacking over the white line. So if you want to be strict, be strict, but apply rules to the entire race. Effectively, after stopping the bunch and leaving the break to continue up the road, the race is effectively over. You have just given the break a few minutes extra time gap. That was the question the bunch was asking the official, and she started screaming and shouting and threatening to disqualify all of us. Should have been handled properly.

Especially when Gauteng battles to get riders in the first place, they then combine 3 age groups which is the biggest bunch of the day, and then treat the bunch like that, and effectively decide the outcome of the race.. These guys decide next year to not even bother. That is not growing the sport, or the event.

how did they split the 30-34 and 35-39 winners? i have no idea where i came in, but i was part of the main bunch chasing the break..... i am 35-39

Great question indeed! I can't help but feel that the full results will never be known. Heck they couldn't even get the 30-34 winners right and initially had third as second and a random name as the winner. 

how did they split the 30-34 and 35-39 winners? i have no idea where i came in, but i was part of the main bunch chasing the break..... i am 35-39

Great question indeed! I can't help but feel that the full results will never be known. Heck they couldn't even get the 30-34 winners right and initially had third as second and a random name as the winner. 

Yeah I think it's quite stupid to try and race two categories (or more) in one group. The tactics/strategy is very difficult. You have to try and see who is in your category and try to race them, but in between there are different categories fighting for different breaks.

I guess you will need more commissaires and vehicles to follow each different category if they start separate, but heck, if you want to do champs, do it properly.

I am busy compiling a list of complaints/suggestions (positive and negative) which will hopefully be taken into consideration by Gauteng East Cycling and then have some form of follow through to the exec committee of Gauteng Cycling.

I have (what I believe) to be a relatively good relationship with the current chair person of GEC, and have already spoken to her on a number of issues that can be improved upon.

The immediate response is the usual "it won't work" or "why do you want to change this", so I know I'm already rowing upstream.

I'm not doing this to get any recognition or trying to buck the system but rather in the interests of the sport, which I enjoy as do many other people. What I will be requesting is support from fellow cyclists, as many of these issues have been raised on this forum, or what I've observed at races but when it comes to raising these issues silence seems to prevail.

Bearing in mind that I am involved in riding, racing and event organisation, I see a lot of things that work and don't work but I also don't see things from other people's perspective, so that's where the cycling community comes in.

The reason for going to the regional committee is hopefully to get their buy in, which can make it so much easier than trying to get people voted out of their positions.

Some of the items up for discussion are:

> Number collection

> Seeding (GP central database)

> Permanent race numbers

> Race rules being applied consistently

> Minimum standards enforced at race events (this is in place, but not enforced)

> Crit racing series (provisonal plans in place)

> Provincial, Regional and Interclub racing.

> One race calendar with no conflicting events

> feel free to add to the list

Then there's the other disciplines that need to be considered,for which I still need to see Wendell (XCO and other MTB disciplines) to share my thoughts and possibly find a common way forward.

Got my @@@ handed to me on a plate...  But was a good experience.   :thumbup:

As did I but I am pretty happy with the time and average speed I did which was my main aim  :thumbup:

Great initiative gerald :thumbup:

I like all your discussion points, but only one opinion/question below.

This is a very difficult thing to control, because you get theoretical rules and then practical racing. Take the white line rule, where I assume the rules say you can't go across the white line. First a warning to only one rider or to all in the group? Then DQ one or all? What if I get bumped out by the group due to road furniture or potholes? I don't always blame the commissaires, because groups will push the boundaries. Some commissaires will be more strict, others less so (human nature). First try to understand what you want to have and 'being consistent' is not really an option, because what does that mean? The more leeway/subjective, the less consistency.

Great initiative gerald :thumbup:

I like all your discussion points, but only one opinion/question below.

This is a very difficult thing to control, because you get theoretical rules and then practical racing. Take the white line rule, where I assume the rules say you can't go across the white line. First a warning to only one rider or to all in the group? Then DQ one or all? What if I get bumped out by the group due to road furniture or potholes? I don't always blame the commissaires, because groups will push the boundaries. Some commissaires will be more strict, others less so (human nature). First try to understand what you want to have and 'being consistent' is not really an option, because what does that mean? The more leeway/subjective, the less consistency.

I'm about to post a thread dedicated to "the improvement of cycling (in GP initially, but eventually in RSA)". Having one place to discuss everything will be a lot easier to sort through, as I know the same issues are discussed on just about every event page, and other threads too.

The consistency of rules being applied is complicated, as you mention but at the moment it is dependent on the mood of the commissaire on the day. I can only comment from my point of view, and the more comments received from as many people as possible, the easier it will be to discuss with the relevant people in charge. 

The white line rule is a rule from the Road Traffic Act, and road races are given permission by the provincial traffic authorities to use the roads under condition that they obey the road rules. Having traffic officials at (robot) intersections is mandatory if you want to ensure the race doesn't have to stop at red lights. Rolling road closure is also against the rules, yet seems to be allowed for some groups but not all.

Archived