Kefir

Cois

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This topic is very interesting. I am always open for new things that offer health benefits. I would love to try this, I will have to try and get hold of some grains here in Bloem.

I had Kumbuchu tea last night and it was great. I do not feel any different today, but obviously it takes time for your system to adapt and show results.

The Kefir just seems to offer much more benefits than the Kumbuchu, according to published studies. Kumbuchu is still quite unexplored it seems.   

Blokman, I'm in Brackenhurst. We can split bunch and perhaps go from there if you keen to try?

PM Sent

This all reminds me of a culture growing scam when I was at varsity..... a pyramid scheme...

Kubus Culture.

Bought a 300ml Milk Kefir at Jacksons to try. I reckon I can get into it doesn't taste bad at all! 

Cant wait to get my grains! 

Ja - I was a kid at the time.

I think they caught the head honcho with a boot full of cash at the end of it all.

The company I was working for at the time had to close its doors because the main man tried his luck with this too.  Ended up on the street overnight I did.

Is there anyone in the Midlans/PMB area who has a couple Kefir grains going spare?

I'm keen to give this a go.

Is there anyone in the Midlans/PMB area who has a couple Kefir grains going spare?

I'm keen to give this a go.

If you dont come right let me know, I can always send some down to you with someone going on a karkloof weekend :thumbup:

Started my 3rd batch this morning.  But I started this one in the fridge.  Need to slow the whole system down as I am the only one on the Kefir way.

Started my 3rd batch this morning.  But I started this one in the fridge.  Need to slow the whole system down as I am the only one on the Kefir way.

I wouldnt reccomend putting it in the fridge unless you want to store it for a week or more. I found the grains take about 3 ferments to get back to making a decent product after they've been in the fridge. The first few after taking it out, come out like cottage cheese and the whey doesnt mix nicely with the cottage cheesy curds. Rather make less per batch so its just enough to last you until the next batch is ready.

But I know the feeling, once the grains start multiplying nicely, it can get a bit out of control :D

I wouldnt reccomend putting it in the fridge unless you want to store it for a week or more. I found the grains take about 3 ferments to get back to making a decent product after they've been in the fridge. The first few after taking it out, come out like cottage cheese and the whey doesnt mix nicely with the cottage cheesy curds. Rather make less per batch so its just enough to last you until the next batch is ready.

But I know the feeling, once the grains start multiplying nicely, it can get a bit out of control :D

Thanks

Will take it out of the fridge tonight. Lesson learnt.... Less is more :)

Thanks

Will take it out of the fridge tonight. Lesson learnt.... Less is more :)

Yup, the problem is, when it gets cold it basically goes dormant and stops doiing its thing. Takes a few ferments to "wake up" properly again.

I was at a stage that the grains were almost doubling every ferment, but not wanting to waste my "white gold" I just made more and more until I got to a point where I thought f@*kit and just chucked the excess.

Now I just use 2 heaped table spoons per liter or so, and the rest is a treat for my dog, and if anyone needs, I just grow some more and give it away. :)