Advice Rqd urgently

viljoenjv

After reading some of these reviews I got the jitters.

I advertised a frame and interest were shown from a number (non-Sa +1(442) .... The individual offered to send a courier after payment is made. Gives no name just asked some random questions. Said he'll make payment through PayPal. To read from the reviews that eft bounces back is scary, so I told him I wanted cash. He insisted he'll pay through PayPal

What to do hubbers? I don't feel comfortable, seems we'll have to be PI's ourselves. Sounds a bit too good to be true. I guess even these guys reads these threads hence the become so skilled.

Personally i wouldn't sell to anyone without it being face to face. Same as i wouldn't buy unless its face to face. This does have scam written all over it though, wants to pay via PayPal only and will send his own courier... Very very dodgy, i would avoid this if i was you.

After reading some of these reviews I got the jitters.

I advertised a frame and interest were shown from a number (non-Sa +1(442) .... The individual offered to send a courier after payment is made. Gives no name just asked some random questions. Said he'll make payment through PayPal. To read from the reviews that eft bounces back is scary, so I told him I wanted cash. He insisted he'll pay through PayPal

What to do hubbers? I don't feel comfortable, seems we'll have to be PI's ourselves. Sounds a bit too good to be true. I guess even these guys reads these threads hence the become so skilled.

Hi,

Welcome to Bike Hub. It's a scam for sure - no doubt about it. If anything give him the run around and have some fun. Alternatively get hold of a small GPS tracker that can fit inside your seatpost and see where it ends up - we'll all chip in for that adventure!

Thanks all for the feedback. What u all said was what my gut feeling told me, this seems dodgy. I told him to bring the cash and he insisted on paypal. I skat when I ignored him he got the answer. If only our cops were able to assist us we could get the 'courier guy' then interogate the individual b'coz surely they would know.

Thanks for this forum, I'm sure alot of people including myself were saved from these predators. Sad though that some paid the price though.

A guy came to buy it and he paid and cleared it instantly and We signed a small agreement. This pay & clear is something we can have more assurance of.

Thanks Hubbers

On a side note; heard something on Cape Talk the other day that Gumtree is implementing as a payment option.

Maybe Bikehub can also look at something similar. It may drive up the transaction costs a bit, but it is the way to go. (Done through Standard Bank)

It works like so:

Seller Registers

Seller advertise - Buyer says taking it.

Seller send link to Buyer and Buyer registers

Buyer pays - Money goes to trust account and Seller is notified

Courier collects and delivers

Buyer inspects and accepts or rejects with Courier. If Accepts funds are released; if not, funds are returned to Buyer.

On a side note; heard something on Cape Talk the other day that Gumtree is implementing as a payment option.

Maybe Bikehub can also look at something similar. It may drive up the transaction costs a bit, but it is the way to go. (Done through Standard Bank)

It works like so:

Seller Registers

Buyer inspects and accepts or rejects with Courier. If Accepts funds are released; if not, funds are returned to Buyer.

Wow, the potential for money laundering with a process like that.

It works like so:

Seller Registers

Too complicated for grumpy old farts like me. :thumbdown:

EFT is okay, just tell the buyer you will need time for the EFT to clear, so once it reflects in your bank account, give it another day and even call your bank to confirm its okay. I do a lot of buying and selling with people in the rest of SA. Also telling the scammers you need time for the EFT to clear will send them packing.

Paypal scammers can fake email message payments and even use stolen CC's in their account.