Riding without a helmet

Off_da_brakes

Never mind a helmet, after my last wipeout, i am considering one of these for cycling...

I have seen the benefit when my daughters have gone OTB so to speak, and then land on the jump, destroying it in the process, and then dust themselves off.

I reckon there is a market in enduro / downhill. Apost-37969-0-23511100-1455181378_thumb.jpgpost-37969-0-23511100-1455181378_thumb.jpg lanyard attaches to the bar, and when you part company with the bike, you have an inflated jacket before you hit the deck.

Downside is that the CO2 can costs around R500.00 a pop...

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My favourite answer to helmet nazis is "do you wear a helmet walking down stairs?".

I absolutely would if I was sharing the same stairs with trucks, taxis and idiot motorists, and if it was strewn with large rocks, loose leaves, slippery mud, potholes and had gusts of freakishly strong wind (obviously stairs in Cape Town).

Edited by CarbonBoy

I absolutely would if I was sharing the same stairs with trucks, taxis and idiot motorists, and if it was strewn with large rocks, loose leaves, slippery mud, potholes and had gusts of freakishly string wind (obviously stairs in Cape Town).

What about idiot phone users who don't look up, coffee spills, cleaning staff and new shoes? Death is but a second away on stairs!!!!!!

What about idiot phone users who don't look up, coffee spills, cleaning staff and new shoes? Death is but a second away on stairs!!!!!!

Bra, maybe you can see dead people, but I take stairs every day and have not seen one dead person yet.

Bra, maybe you can see dead people, but I take stairs every day and have not seen one dead person yet.

My bad - I should have used comic sans font.

Oddly enough I ride almost every day and I haven't seen a dead person yet either.

EDIT EDIT - THE STRUGGLE IS REAL!!!!!!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/790609.stm

EDIT - EDIT - EDIT: It's worse than we thought!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2012/nov/06/deaths-mortality-rates-cause-death-2011

More people were injured on stairs than on bicycles!!!!!!!!

We have we not spotted this before??????

SILENT KILLER!!!!!

Wear your helmets people - don't be a stairtistic.

Edited by Eldron

My bad - I should have used comic sans font.

Oddly enough I ride almost every day and I haven't seen a dead person yet either.

My bad as well, a poor attempt at humour.

Oddly I don't see dead people either, probably because they don't move around much!

Edited by CarbonBoy

As funny as it may sound.....even when eating one could have a disaster...this is the case with me at the moment as I have an eating problem....the only way to camp it would be an ice hockey helmet.....

http://www.icemonster.com.au/media/catalog/product/cache/1/small_image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/b/a/bauer_2100_helmer_combo.jpg

THIS! :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

There are about 100 arguments going on here so here is my stance.

Training and racing I always wear my helmet. I do, however, enjoy cruising the hood from time to time without one. Why? Because it feels awesome and reminds me of my childhood when wearing a helmet was not even a consideration (that's a whole other debate!). Sure there is increased risk compared to wearing a helmet but I feel it's worth it (low speed, low traffic, not technical/offroad etc).

I guess my danish example was really to challenge the OH MY GOD WEAR YOUR HELMET AT ALL TIMES BECAUSE IT'S DANGEROUS WITHOUT ONE DARWIN DARWIN ORGAN DONOR argument. If that argument were true Copenhagen would be strewn with the corpses of dead cyclists.

To be honest I really have no issue with anyone wearing or not wearing their helmet. My only real issue is people trying to tell other people what to do. Not wearing a helmet doesn't impact on anyone but the wearer. His/her head - let them do what they want. No need for the "your an idiot" style comments.

On a complete tangent - if we treated each other on the road like we treated each other on thehub people would get killed all the time. Oh wait they are. Ironic isn't it? It's always "them", "drivers", "impatient people" - basically us. We get off our bikes and into cars then blame "drivers" for killing "cyclists". Odd.

Ok random rant over. No need for you to reply/debate.

AND

"I partly wear a helmet to stop noobs bugging me for not wearing one. Sure, it may save me in exceptional circumstances, but I'd much rather rely on my experience, skill, preparedness and common sense to keep me safe while riding than a bit of foam on my head. 

• 2 months later...

I don't wear a helmet. My head is to fat for one (68cm circumference) and it is very uncomfortable. 

Even though I cycle on the road  

- I do not go fast enough :)

I go so slow that I can great everyone, cyclist, joggers, drivers - alma!

I am fat - I average 22-25km/h and almost never go beyond 30-40km/h because frankly no bicycle was ever made to carry me beyond that.

I NEVER ride in groups

I do not wear Lycra - I wear a long sleeved checked shirt made of quick wicking material (did I mention I am too fat to cycle? - and very sun sensitive skin...)

The cars give me a wide berth - they are scared shitless of the damage to their vehicles when they see me. :)

I did cycle with a helmet that I gouged the insides out of to make it fit - for years - but stopped that now. I have found that cars DO actually drive around me more (maybe thinking that I am a normal cyclist - not an irritating shrimp)

I get nasty comments every day - cyclists singing old macdonald had a farm as they pass- (with refernce to the shirt), shouting "no helmet no ride" after i greeted them friendly, insults like "no helmet no brain", "darwin at work" at stops etc - (the darwin and organ donar wize cracks are old, very old - think of something new), I don't care for those, only talked back once when some idiot preached about it being law - I asked him where the forward and rear facing reflectors on his bike was (also law), what about the bell (law), and why he and his entire school of shrimps flew through 3 x red traffic lights 3-4 abreast after passing me.

So - I get more flak from my fellow cyclist now than I do from the cagers :)

I am past 50 and have been riding bicycles and motorcycles all my life and understand helmet use very well, I have had my ups and downs :)

If you talk about falling so hard on your head that the helmet cracked - its meant to crack - does not take much force.

And If you have visions of someone being hit in front of you and you have to witness their brains splattered over the road because they did not wear a helmet, then you are fooled into a false sense of the security that a helmet offers -trust me it would not be different with one - ask any paramedic.

About ten years ago in a US bicycling magazine - they did tests on several helmets and the effectiveness at different angles. The bottom line was that they were all equally ineffective from the cheapest to the most expensive, particularly NO protection when falling on temples because of the hardness of the poly, AND there was a lot of evidence of manufacturers driving the law to wear.

Obviously if you are a speed demon or downhiller etc you should consider wearing, but me - I cycled to school and everywhere I needed to be since I was 6 (and cruzed the hood before then) and never wore a helmet ever - back then only track cyclists would - and only ever had one mild concussion when I got a bit windgat in front of the girls :)

It is up to every individual to decide - the righteous ones should the old jokes and insults to themselves :)

just saying....

When I was a kid, riding my dad's touring bike and later, my bmxs around and back and forth to school daily, a helmet was only considered when we took the bikes to a half pipe.

Now, when I picked up cycling again, I bought a helmet and enjoyed wearing it. I got progressively nicer helmets as I went along and found the bargains. I don't ride without it. My feeling is, it's not uncomfortable when it fits right, and I'd rather be safe than sorry. Worse case scenario and all that.

On the other hand, I recently started riding with some guys who ride without them, for varying reasons. One, a much older gent, doesn't like them. Grew up racing when helmets were non existent, survived a bunch of crashes and refuses to wear one now, unless it's a race and he's forced to. The other, is a mate of mine who I'm trying to lure into the sport. He is borrowing my bike, bottles, shorts and shirt, and rides with some plain casual sunglasses. He can't afford a helmet, and to make matters worse, his wife has fallen pregnant and so money is even tighter.

My issue around this is the idiots who's feel it's their duty to be judgemental prices while out riding. Being passed or passing us, the snide comments really have no place on the road. As stated before, it's not your head. Leave it alone.

I'm sure my mate will find the cash for a cheap helmet soon, but until then, he'll be riding with the wind blowing in his hair and completely falling in love with our mostly beautiful sport.

TL:DR, Don't be a dick. Don't judge. Just ride.

..............He can't afford a helmet, and to make matters worse, his wife has fallen pregnant and so money is even tighter.

Without being judgemental, that is even more reason to do EVERYTHING to stay alive!

I don't wear a helmet. My head is to fat for one (68cm circumference) and it is very uncomfortable. 

I am fat - I average 22-25km/h and almost never go beyond 30-40km/h because frankly no bicycle was ever made to carry me beyond that.

I NEVER ride in groups

I do not wear Lycra - I wear a long sleeved checked shirt made of quick wicking material (did I mention I am too fat to cycle? - and very sun sensitive skin...)

The cars give me a wide berth - they are scared shitless of the damage to their vehicles when they see me. :)

I did cycle with a helmet that I gouged the insides out of to make it fit - for years - but stopped that now. I have found that cars DO actually drive around me more (maybe thinking that I am a normal cyclist - not an irritating shrimp)

I get nasty comments every day - cyclists singing old macdonald had a farm as they pass- (with refernce to the shirt), shouting "no helmet no ride" after i greeted them friendly, insults like "no helmet no brain", "darwin at work" at stops etc - (the darwin and organ donar wize cracks are old, very old - think of something new), I don't care for those, only talked back once when some idiot preached about it being law - I asked him where the forward and rear facing reflectors on his bike was (also law), what about the bell (law), and why he and his entire school of shrimps flew through 3 x red traffic lights 3-4 abreast after passing me.

I am past 50 and have been riding bicycles and motorcycles all my life and understand helmet use very well, I have had my ups and downs :)

If you talk about falling so hard on your head that the helmet cracked - its meant to crack - does not take much force.

And If you have visions of someone being hit in front of you and you have to witness their brains splattered over the road because they did not wear a helmet, then you are fooled into a false sense of the security that a helmet offers -trust me it would not be different with one - ask any paramedic.

About ten years ago in a US bicycling magazine - they did tests on several helmets and the effectiveness at different angles. The bottom line was that they were all equally ineffective from the cheapest to the most expensive, particularly NO protection when falling on temples because of the hardness of the poly, AND there was a lot of evidence of manufacturers driving the law to wear.

Obviously if you are a speed demon or downhiller etc you should consider wearing, but me - I cycled to school and everywhere I needed to be since I was 6 (and cruzed the hood before then) and never wore a helmet ever - back then only track cyclists would - and only ever had one mild concussion when I got a bit windgat in front of the girls :)

It is up to every individual to decide - the righteous ones should the old jokes and insults to themselves :)

just saying....

Disagree with everything in blue

Agree with everything in red

I NEVER ride in groups

just saying....

These strings really irritate me.

Until you have seen the consequences (or had it happen to you) you will still spew this BS.

I spent three days in a coma with a ventilator breathing for me (staff at the hospital told my to be wife i had very little chance) and a month at home in recovery because of bleeding on the brain caused by a high speed MTB OTB accident.  Flaked out days later and aspirated my right lung after a couple of days after the accident.

A random lip in Lonehill caught me out whilst going at medium speed and flipped me over the bars into a kerb.

And in case you are wondering I am not considered a bad bike handler.

Helmet shattered in to pieces but effectively saved my life.

So when you post this sort of BS you create the impression in peoples mind that it's opay and I dont need it. The helmet that is.

What BS.

Take a ventilator pipe and shove it down your throat - its called intubation. And then tell me what is more painful and inconvenient - a little bit of uncomfortable protection or months in recovery.

You sir would do better to carry on living under the rock you crawled out from.