Riding without a helmet

Off_da_brakes

I wonder how many of the clever guys here invoking Darwin actually read "On the Origin of Species"?

:D Very, very few I can promise you. I know, because I have a copy in my book case, and I have read it. It rates as the most difficult book I ever read. Including some technical manuals written by the Japanese. The old English, the long winded way of putting an argument, makes it truly difficult to take in. I read it on and off over a period of about a year. I will never read it again.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:D Very, very few I can promise you. I know, because I have a copy in my book case, and I have read it. It rates as the most difficult book I ever read. Including some technical manuals written by the Japanese. The old English, the long winded way of putting an argument, makes it truly difficult to take in. I read it on and off over a period of about a year. I will never read it again.

You're good! It took me a lot of years, probably 5 before I eventually did it - I read just short of the first half in one go, and then lost interest and the book landed in the shelf next to African Farm (Schreiner) and Dark Safari (Theroux) then last year I decided that I had to finish those three and did, but goodness I had to read several chapters again and again because I kept losing the thread and even though I thought i followed, I realised every few pages that I got lost and had to retrieve. I am not reading that again either - life's too short :)

A few weeks back I washed out my front wheel and fell off my mtb.

The result: deep laceration on chin, jaw fractured in 3 places, 1 of which was a complete break, multiple fractured teeth, and a bunch of doctors surprised I didn't break my neck.

Helmet damage: a small scratch on the visor. This experience has left me wondering if I should be wearing a full-faced helmet everywhere (not to mention body armour).

This happened at Northern Farms of all places, a location generally considered to be pretty easy and unlikely to have a bad crash. If anyone found a bunch of tooth fragments on the trail, those are probably mine :).

Edited by cairbre

A few weeks back I washed out my front wheel and fell off my mtb.

The result: deep laceration on chin, jaw fractured in 3 places, 1 of which was a complete break, multiple fractured teeth, and a bunch of doctors surprised I didn't break my neck.

Helmet damage: a small scratch on the visor. This experience has left me wondering if I should be wearing a full-faced helmet everywhere (not to mention body armour).

This happened at Northern Farms of all places, a location generally considered to be pretty easy and unlikely to have a bad crash. If anyone found a bunch of tooth fragments on the trail, those are probably mine :).

Proper full face with body armour and neck brace for you dangerous riders :)

I hope it heals to perfection!

I wonder how many of the clever guys here invoking Darwin actually read "On the Origin of Species"?

This is 2016, books are no longer relevant, may as well be a newspaper.

This is what we mean when we say Darwin: https://twitter.com/awardsdarwin?lang=en

Videos of people removing themselves from the population. 

So, can anyone comment on the reality of a helmet required for road cycling vs MTB?

Pure curiosity. I believe a helmet for MTB is vital, as you are far more like to have a slower fall more often, and road, it's iffy. Aside from being law, roadies rode helmetless for many many years of our Purost history and I don't recall many time they fell and said, I should have had a helmet. Most of the older roadies I ride with think that they're completely useless.

FYI, I'm for helmets always, on all bikes, all the time.

Thoughts??

..........Thoughts??

For what it's worth:

• Always full face + neck brace + full armour - downhill
  • Always full face + neck brace + some armour - BMX racing 
  • Always helmet + some armour - BMX + dirt jumping
  • Always helmet (sometimes full face) + some armour - enduro racing
  • Always helmet + some armour - agressive technical trail riding
  • Always helmet + sometimes some armour - relaxed trail riding
  • Always helmet - cross country riding single track
  • Always helmet - dirt roads and jeep track
  • Always helmet - road with traffic
  • Always helmet - road with bunches
  • Always helmet - road racing
  • Sometimes helmet - urban "promenade" cruise
  • Sometimes helmet - slow moving dedicated cycle lanes without traffic
  • No helmet - indoor trainer

<p>

For what it's worth:

• Always full face + neck brace + full armour - downhill
  • Always full face + neck brace + some armour - BMX racing
  • Always helmet + some armour - BMX + dirt jumping
  • Always helmet (sometimes full face) + some armour - enduro racing
  • Always helmet + some armour - agressive technical trail riding
  • Always helmet + sometimes some armour - relaxed trail riding
  • Always helmet - cross country riding single track
  • Always helmet - dirt roads and jeep track
  • Always helmet - road with traffic
  • Always helmet - road with bunches
  • Always helmet - road racing
  • Sometimes helmet - urban "promenade" cruise
  • Sometimes helmet - slow moving dedicated cycle lanes without traffic
  • No helmet - indoor trainer
You should always wear your helmet on the Wattbike at gym, it shows others that you are serious. If you can get your hands on an aero one, even better!

You should always wear your helmet on the Wattbike at gym, it shows others that you are serious. If you can get your hands on an aero one, even better!

I dare you! :ph34r:

does it mean if we were to be involved in an accident involving another road user, maybe a motorists for example and we were not in the wrong but we did not comply with the act, would we have a leg to stand on?

Amputations aside.....sounds like a question of law, to me. Lawyers....getting lawyering!

I wore my bright orange Rudy Project Wingspan at Single Speed World Champs.

It gave me the edge! I rocked.

Ok ok I sweated. Like a biiiaaatch. All day. Not one of my best ideas.