Riding without a helmet

Off_da_brakes

So there I am this morning stopped outside Paul Roos Gymnasium in Stellenbosch having a quick chat to a friend I bumped into on my road ride back to Somerset West when two road cyclists rode past with the one guy not wearing a helmet. This guy seemed to be a seasoned cyclist judging by his bike and legs. Very soon after that I headed off and eventually caught and passed them on the R44. Helmetless guy had stopped and was waiting for his friend who was not as strong. They then overtook me.

The reason for my rant is not only the fact that this guy was riding without a helmet, but also that he seemed to only want to ride on the right hand side of the yellow shoulder line. I don't understand why you'd want to do that given that there is a perfectly good shoulder on the R44 between Stellenbosch and Somerset West that is the width of a car. Also, much of this section of road has a 100 km/h limit and many motorists travel at speed. A couple of drivers gave this guy a "courtesy" hoot, I guess to prompt him to move a little to the left. His friend was then weaving back and forth across the yellow line trying to hang onto his wheel. I then passed them again when the friend's legs started giving in.

I guess what I'm trying to say is:

1. Wear a helmet.

2. Don't ride like an idiot where you put yourself in danger and give cyclists a bad name. Share the roads and also be considerate towards other road users.

3. If you are going to take a friend for a ride, ride at their pace and try not ride them into the ground.

Rant off.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

umm did you chat to the bloke and speak to him about the no helmet rule ?

and also this is a much debated thorny issue involving not so common sense.

Does the postman where a helmet ? The gardener? People dont pick on them for not wearing helmets. And there is nothing like a spin round the block with the wind in your hair and no helmet on.

as I said - thorny issue ....

It is a thorny issue, I also know a guy like that here in durban who don't wear, his helmet but a cycling cap, I choose not to ride with him as, would not like to call his family and explain what has happened to him, if he is knocked by a vehicle, as it a fine by law in South Africa if you are caught riding a unmotorised vehicle (bicycle) on a public road

Nope, did not engage with him. Past experiences have not elicited favourable responses despite a friendly approach.

Totally aware of the thorny issue re helmets. I've had two serious crashes, one on the road bike and the other on the mountain bike where I BELIEVE that a helmet prevented serious head injuries. I shudder to think of the consequences had I not worn a helmet in both incidents. I'd rather take my chances with a helmet than without... And I don't have any hair so I can't relate to the wind in my hair feeling ;-)

Perhaps more should be done about commuters etc wearing helmets. No doubt this would be a huge can of worms coupled with the thorny issue of cycling helmet effectiveness.

Whats with all the thorns....you want thorns go ride the Kalchal.

Many of the single tracks on that event were created by villagers riding their bikes to and from their village.

I can assure you that non of them wear helmets

One of team DJR is alive only because his cycling helmet (and OCD guardian angels) saved him in a very bad crash! His helmet had car tyre tracks going over it afterwards but he had no head injuries. Two broken arms, a broken wrist and shoulder, serious facial lacerations and roasties from head to toe, they all healed, but that helmet kept his brain in one piece.

We wear whenever we ride a bike! Always! And we tell others to wear helmets. We give our old helmets away to others. We don't ride with people that don't wear helmets.

Hey, perhaps we just love life more than some!

I saw law enforcement riding with no helmets on the sidewalk going against traffic.

Mouille Point. 

Also see a BMC kitted MTB rider with only a cycling cap from time to time. Here are my thoughts.

They know the risk...END!

We all have choices in life ......... I choose to live!

My son had a VERY serious OTB about 2 years ago on a Sunday afternoon literally riding from a day at the dam on the dirt road to the main road where we agreed he would stop. We insisted he wear his helmet and then it happened.

1 x 8year old "lights out" in the middle of the road. We rushed him to the ER to be met by a fellow rider who was the doc on duty he immediately asked where our sons helmet was and we showed him he held no punches in telling us that helmet saved his life that day ????

In our house NO HELMET NO RIDE BOTTOM LINE!!!

We do not ride with those who are too cool to wear a helmet as we don't need that kind of admin in our lives!

Bit of a moral dilemma here. Slowbee has a point that you should have given the idiot a piece of your mind. Some listen, most don't. Nowadays I just leave them. See it as natures way of removing idiots from the gene pool.

Bit of a moral dilemma here. Slowbee has a point that you should have given the idiot a piece of your mind. Some listen, most don't. Nowadays I just leave them. See it as natures way of removing idiots from the gene pool.

If their actions only harmed them I would agree. But motorists tend to label us all on the actions of a few, so we do need to self police if we want to change the perception non cyclists have of cyclists.

Live and let live, no helmet no problem, no-one's business but his own - and no, it's not the law*.

Absolutely no problem for him to make this choice.  His risk may be higher but he's an adult entitled to decide for himself. Why get involved?

(*the govt wrote the legislation then realised it was unenforceable and prejudicial to the majority and so no penalties have ever been set and no-one ever arrested for not wearing a helmet)