Support for the underdog

Vetplant

Short and long: Will sheer willpower(and legpower) overcome the latest kit?

What do you think, will I overtake any of the TT bikes at the CGT Triathlon Championships this upcoming Sunday the 10th in Germiston on my MTB?

Some fact to consider:

Bicycle:

- 2006-ish Merida MTB Frame with Schwinn fork and basic componentry (Gearing 3x9) (Total cost back then came to about R4000)

- 26-inch Slicks running at 3.0 Bar pressure

- MTB SPD half cleat/ half platform pedals

- MTB pedals

- Total weight dry:17kg

Personal info:

95kg

1.88m

5k run: 22:41 (Ran at Hartenbosh Parkrun Dec 2015)

10k run: 56:10 Castle Walk Fun Run 2015 (Hilly course)

Momentum 94.7: 4h10 (Exact same bike setup)

Discovery Duathlon 2015 Sprint: 1h46

I'm doing the Olympic Distance Duathlon race, I assume the course is shared as the starting time for the Duathlon and Triathlon are exactly the same. Still getting comfortable in the water so no Tri this time round.

So..Place your bets, how many TT bikes will I claim on my MTB plonker....? If any?  :P

If someone told you a couple of months ago they fancied Japan for the win against the Springboks, who would you have backed?

Good luck. Anything is possible.

Short and long: Will sheer willpower(and legpower) overcome the latest kit?

What do you think, will I overtake any of the TT bikes at the CGT Triathlon Championships this upcoming Sunday the 10th in Germiston on my MTB?

Some fact to consider:

Bicycle:

- 2006-ish Merida MTB Frame with Schwinn fork and basic componentry (Gearing 3x9) (Total cost back then came to about R4000)

- 26-inch Slicks running at 3.0 Bar pressure

- MTB SPD half cleat/ half platform pedals

- MTB pedals

- Total weight dry:17kg

Personal info:

95kg

1.88m

5k run: 22:41 (Ran at Hartenbosh Parkrun Dec 2015)

10k run: 56:10 Castle Walk Fun Run 2015 (Hilly course)

Momentum 94.7: 4h10 (Exact same bike setup)

Discovery Duathlon 2015 Sprint: 1h46

I'm doing the Olympic Distance Duathlon race, I assume the course is shared as the starting time for the Duathlon and Triathlon are exactly the same. Still getting comfortable in the water so no Tri this time round.

So..Place your bets, how many TT bikes will I claim on my MTB plonker....? If any?  :P

More than 1....

I love a good underdog story. I'm pretty sure you will claim a few scalps of the ATGNI brigade, but having said that I do think you are going to get swamped on the downhill after the turn.

I'll see you there - if I pass a 26er Merida with slicks I'll give you a shout!

I love a good underdog story. I'm pretty sure you will claim a few scalps of the ATGNI brigade, but having said that I do think you are going to get swamped on the downhill after the turn.

I'll see you there - if I pass a 26er Merida with slicks I'll give you a shout!

Haha cool, will see you there. 

Slight Downhills are definitely my Achilles heel, can do 54km/h max on my current gearing.

Heavy downhills again fall in my wheelhouse with my combined weight of 113kg, missus Gravity helps me allot!  :w00t:

Not sure TT bikes are allowed, is this not a draft permissible event? :)

Good luck though, these are great wee events

Not sure TT bikes are allowed, is this not a draft permissible event? :)

Good luck though, these are great wee events

This specific event is "Standard/Olympic distance race: time trial bike LEGAL, drafting ILLEGAL"

My first non-Drafting event, the 947 and Discovery Duathlon were fun events, will see how this one burns...

In my experience there are always a few people at the races with all the kit that dont put the work in beforehand.

So yeah you should be able to hold some of them off.

I have often taken out TT bikes on my normal roadie, your mtb will be a bigger task but if you are strong on a bike then you should have some fun with them.

Just pop them a little wave as you come past them :P

In my experience there are always a few people at the races with all the kit that dont put the work in beforehand.

So yeah you should be able to hold some of them off.

I have often taken out TT bikes on my normal roadie, your mtb will be a bigger task but if you are strong on a bike then you should have some fun with them.

Just pop them a little wave as you come past them :P

What about a little shake of the head "tsk tsk tsk...." or is that too mean...?  :P

Honestly, I'll be happy to catch, pass and keep ahead of one TT bike. Might have to sandbag the first run to have a chance at that  ;) ...

I am fully aware that my odds are actually close to zero to pass someone on the bike, just doing this as a first experience of a non-drafting race. If I complete it and finish dead last it will be a good race in my books :D

I've seen an old Hansom tandem pass dozens of fancy carbon and other roadbikes up Smitswinkel, Chappies and Suikerbossie. Apparently it does wonders for the spirit ;)

You go get 'em !!

I've seen an old Hansom tandem pass dozens of fancy carbon and other roadbikes up Smitswinkel, Chappies and Suikerbossie. Apparently it does wonders for the spirit ;)

You go get 'em !!

I got passed going up the last climb of the Rhodes MTB race about 16 years back. Had a spiffy dual-sus which I thought was the bee's knees...until a large dude in slops with socks came plodding past...

Said spiffy dual-sus almost ended up being thrown off the side of a mountain...

Go, underdog dude!  

Just remember passing a TT bike doesnt mean you passing an elite. Just saying.

There are always those with all the gear and no idea.  But you go for it bro!  Enjoy the ride is relatively flat and pretty fast! Just remember to save some juice in the legs for the run!

Oh and yes you do share the course. 

Word of advice watch out for glass on the roads. Saw plenty guys fixing flats in the last event as the roads aren't swept before the race and there was quite a lot of glass close to the pavements. Also Sunscreen!!! 

An update for those interested:

Got onto the bike pretty much on 1hr.

Passed 0 TT bikes ;)

Passed 11 Road bikes.

Unofficial time, 2h58. No idea on placement yet...

Biggest result is that the bug has definitely bitten me. ????

Archived