And you thought you were 'ard. You aint...

Eldron

How legit was the original record of 120,805 kilometres in 1939?

Pretty rudimentary bikes back then and not as many paved roads as today so possibly a fair bit of gravel riding included, seems like a lot?

Kurt Searvogel has broken the highest annual mileage record held by British rider Tommy Godwin since 1939

http://keyassets.timeincuk.net/inspirewp/live/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2016/01/kurt-searvogel-1-630x420.jpg

Kurt Searvogel Credit: Kurt Searvogel/Twitter

British rider Tommy Godwin’s 1939 record for the most number of miles ridden on a bicycle in a single year has been broken by American Kurt Searvogel.

Searvogel rode through Godwin’s long-standing record of 75,065 miles (120,805 kilometres) on Monday (January 4) to reach 75,270 miles (121,135 kilometres), having started his attempt on January 10 2015.

The 53-year-old from Sheridan, Arkansas, who is also known by his nickname of ‘Tarzan’, broke the record in Flatwoods Park, Tampa, Florida, with five days to spare and averaged just over 209 miles ridden per day and 12 hours per ride.

If Searvogel continues to ride at the same pace for the next five days, he could set a new mark of 76,315 miles.

Read more at http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/american-kurt-searvogel-breaks-cycling-highest-annual-mileage-record-205507#63rsRmJVHquLboLE.99

Serious lunatic fringe. Only person madder must be the chick that married him during the year!

Also got to query the validity of the 1939 record, doubt it had close to the verification of this one. Sounds a bit like the untouchable female track and field records from the 80s.