What time do you get up to ride?

Sp!ke

I'm seriously struggling to get up early enough to get a ride in. I made sure my bike was cleaned and lubed up last night, set my alarm for just before 5:00AM. I was ready.

Hit the sack at 22:00, was woken up a few times during the night (pets, kids, etc.), alarm went off at the allotted time - I felt like a train had ridden over me. The ride was put on hold.

Does anyone have any insider secrets, other than plain will power or freakish genetics that enable you to get by with 2 hours sleep, that might help here?

Know that feeling, Being Muslim we wake up for sunrise prayers and then just hop on the bike. I have a 19month and 3 week baby so sleep deprivation is an issue. This morning I woke up like a train rode over me, looked out of the window and saw the trees blowing. Feel like that often but got in the habit to just get on the bike and ride. After 1 minute all that weariness disappears and you will fire on all cyclinders. Initially, it takes discipline but once you got it right it will be easy.

ps. I have chores to do in the evening and struggle to retire to bed early enough. Most times I'm in bed by 10. But I do admit I get too little sleep and then I just get sick. Not sure how to solve that problem yet

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

and get everything ready and I mean everything, the only thing you need to grab is your water bottle out of the fridge. I even throw my coffee and sugar into my mug the night before and make sure the kettle has enough water in. whatever, you carry in your back pockets, put that in as well. tie your helmet to your bike with your gloves in it. I rode off already with no helmet or forgetting my gloves and had to turn back.

Everything prepared the night before, Tues, Wed, Thu up at 4.15am on the road by 4.30am for an hour, even though i work from home and can ride later the traffic is not worth it. Plenty days I get the feeling to just roll over but then i remember that after the first K's i start to enjoy it, the post ride shower and breakfast I'm good to go. 

Alarm is on for 4:45 if ride in town, 5:00 if I ride for home, both on road at 5:30.

Go to bed around 23:30, with a 9 month old that only goes to bed at 20:30 its tricky getting stuff done before 20:30.

I normally ring my training partners doorbell which wakes him, if that happens, he buys coffee that morning, I never pay for coffee.

Rule number 5 will need to be amended a bit: 

• 5.1 - wake the &^%@ up 
  • 5.2 - harden the &^%@ up

The riding buddy would help, I knew I should have made a point of being nicer to people...

My problem has always been that I manage to ride with guys who constantly let me down (they are worse at getting up than I am) and I am a based a bit out of the way so I end up finding it easier to ride on my own.

I guess I'm going to have to start being a bit more dedicated; start getting to bed earlier, get up, get out. 

If we're riding together we get up at 4:55 and are parked up and starting riding in the Cradle by 6:30 ish.

I get everything ready the night before - bikes on car, drinks made up and in the fridge etc etc, but it still takes an age to drag Wendy out the front door.

If I'm riding on my own I can get up 20 mins before I need to leave the house. Again prep done the night before.

It helps if you can load the car in a garage for security.

Early riding on the weekend is great as you have the whole day after the ride....want to try this year to ride after work a bit and reserve the am rides for weekends.....

but seriously....some of you guys are hardcore or semi professional athletes to wake up that early for a ride. I will consider 5 am getting up, riding at 6:30/7:00.....I find I cannot go too extreme then I lose interest........each to his own I guess, well done to you early risers.

Tuesday,Wednesday and Thursday up at 03h00 on the bike at 03h30 do a 2 hour ride.

Hit the sack not later than 21h00,it does help that the missus is doing it with me otherwise I would've just turn over and slept -_-

Depends on the training programme but me and my wife are both committed to training so we are up normally at 3h15 in the week day mornings out of the house by 03h45. 

I start early with work so I need to hammer it and get back to finish up and leave for work. So in bed by 9pm most nights, try to get 6 hours of sleep(bit difficult now with our puppy)

Up by 5:30, ride by 6am on Thursdays and over weekends. Monday and Wednesday is Cadence, so up at 5am and out of the door by 5:20am.  I try and have everything ready the night before. I get up, have a quick cuppa and a light brekkie, take my bottles out of the fridge, then bathroom routine, get dressed and either go to Cadence or go for my ride.

I'm in bed by 9:30pm and I am asleep by 9:32pm.  

is this all year round ?? WINTER  as well?? (much respect if that is the case !!!) :eek:  :eek:

Winter in Durban not as bad as up-country but yes year round!

Have supper with the fam, brush kids teeth, bedtime story and lights out at 20h00. 

Then we usually chat for a few mins, brush teeth and in bed by 20h30. 

Lights out at 9pm-ish.

Up at 04h40 and on bike by 05h00.

Back home by 6h30-ish for morning routine...

As other posters said, it's ALL about prepping and routine to get ENOUGH SLEEP.

3:30 up.  4:15 out the door.
It starts hitting you after 3 days.

Avg sleep per week is 7 hours per night.  Not bad.

Up at 04h45, riding by 05h15. It certainly helps to have a riding partner.

Would love to get to bed by 21h00, but reality is somewhere between 22h30 and 23h00. It normally catches up with me on Friday early evenings. I.e. I get back from work and go straight to bed.

Archived