What time do you get up to ride?

Sp!ke

I'm seriously struggling to get up early enough to get a ride in. I made sure my bike was cleaned and lubed up last night, set my alarm for just before 5:00AM. I was ready.

Hit the sack at 22:00, was woken up a few times during the night (pets, kids, etc.), alarm went off at the allotted time - I felt like a train had ridden over me. The ride was put on hold.

Does anyone have any insider secrets, other than plain will power or freakish genetics that enable you to get by with 2 hours sleep, that might help here?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3:50. on the road by 4:15

I make sure I am in bed by 9:00

Getting up is easier if you have a buddy waiting for you, otherwise it is way too easy to roll over and sleep.

But by Friday I'm usually vrot..

avoid coffe after 20:00 , put your phone somewhere you have to get up to off the alarm , and start gradually waking up earlier

For me personally 22h00 is very late. Most nights by 21h00 i'm asleep. At the moment I have a 7 week old baby so during the week i'm getting up between 03h00 and 03h30 to at least do 1 feed so my wife gets a break and then i'm off to ride asap but no later than 05h00. Before the lightie arrived I was up at 03h20 and then left about an hour later to meet riding buddies at 04h30. On the weekend it all depends on what the training/racing requires. 

I also find having training partners you don't want to let down helps a lot. If you have made a plan to meet them then don't be a box and drop them all the time so just rule number 5 and get up.

haha I have the same problem. I also have good intentions the day before, only to hit the snooze button when the alarm goes off early. Then after the third snooze I usually turn it off. I find it much easier to cycle after work. I'm lucky that I get off at 16:00, so I have plenty time to get a ride in. 

But I must admit, the few times that I actually do make it out of bed early, it feels great to be on the bike in the crisp cool morning air! And you feel so much better the rest of the day!

Rabubi, that is hard core man.. There is NO ways in hell I would ever be able to go for a ride before 5 am

This is why I get up early!

haha I have the same problem. I also have good intentions the day before, only to hit the snooze button when the alarm goes off early. Then after the third snooze I usually turn it off. I find it much easier to cycle after work. I'm lucky that I get off at 16:00, so I have plenty time to get a ride in. 

But I must admit, the few times that I actually do make it out of bed early, it feels great to be on the bike in the crisp cool morning air! And you feel so much better the rest of the day!

Rabubi, that is hard core man.. There is NO ways in hell I would ever be able to go for a ride before 5 am

Up at 4:10 to meet my mates at 4:45. It was tough in the beginning but once the routine kicks in it became easier. As others have said, it's easier if you are riding with some mates which you don't want let down!

Weekday training rides start at 05h25.

This requires a 04h45 wake-up.

Which in turn requires that I go to bed no later than 22h00.

I pack and prep the night before so that all I have to do is porcelain duties, light breakfast and drink a litre of water.

Weekend rides start a little later, say around 6 or 630.

It definitely pays to hit the roads early. There's much less traffic and watching the sunrise from the saddle is pretty special. It's also quite cool to ride in the dark - make sure your lights are up to it though...

To sleep well, no coffee/tea after 6pm. No booze that night. And no tv or digital device usage after 8pm - there's new research out that indicates that this disturbs REM. Ideally, read a boring book and turn off the light when you feel sleepy.

Up by 04:45, out the door, by 05:25... Wash face, brush teeth, coffee, etc. then ride... by that time, there is some light where you can actually see quite a distance in front of you... 

Oh BTW, do not look out of the window before you go ride, if you see the trees playing in the wind, it is a huge, demotivator...  :(  :o

I am lucky enough to work for myself from home so in summer I ride around 5:30am till 7 or so. Bedtime is 8-30. I read till about 10pm. It takes a bit of getting used to at first. Its also a lot easier now that I am single as I can get up, play with the dogs, put the radio on and have a cup of tea before I leave. I do morning rides around 3x times a week but personally I enjoy those late afternoon rides....

I like early mornings for exercise - just difficult not to wake my wife up when sneaking out and my wheel accidentally touches ground and my hub goes 'CRRRRR'

I'm seriously struggling to get up early enough to get a ride in. I made sure my bike was cleaned and lubed up last night, set my alarm for just before 5:00AM. I was ready.

Hit the sack at 22:00, was woken up a few times during the night (pets, kids, etc.), alarm went off at the allotted time - I felt like a train had ridden over me. The ride was put on hold.

Does anyone have any insider secrets, other than plain will power or freakish genetics that enable you to get by with 2 hours sleep, that might help here?

I normally stay up quite late but ride before work a few days a week. If I get to bed between 9 and 10pm latest for those days its ok. You get used to it. Helps to prepare everything the night before. The peace and quiet and beautiful sunrises motivate me. We ride around Hilton in PMB. Have seen Rooikat, Serval, various buck, Owls etc.

Enjoy.

Archived