Bike Hub weight loss challenge 2016

Bikehub weight loss competition  

139 members have voted

1. 1. Are you interested in participating in a weight loss competition

• Yes
    • Perhaps
    • Where's my cake?

100%. Exactly why I track my under-lying trend - weekly moving average on Excel - and respond (correct?) accordingly. I don't worry about daily swings, or even 3-4 day swings, but if the trend isn't what I'm happy with, then I react.

yeah. That's the bit that I have to get to grips with. Very easy to lose sight of the long term goal if your numbers are shaite. 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah. That's the bit that I have to get to grips with. Very easy to lose sight of the long term goal if your numbers are shaite. 

If it helps, what has worked for me this year was training towards a challenging event. That seemed to get my head ready for 'the long haul' be it training, weight loss, fat loss, fitness or whatever. Training was increased gradually over 4 months, and I didn't expect rapid training gains, so I didn't expect rapid weight loss. But tracking both, in Excel, allowed me to look back and see the underlying trends, and ignore bad days, be they training or weight. Might work for you? Of course, now I have to find a new event goal to keep on the straight and narrow!

also track your training accurately, that 1 hour at the gym is often 45mins training and 15 mins faffing( this happens 4 times a week means you have actually done 1 less hour than you thought) and that long weekend ride is sometimes only 40km it just seemed long having stopped for coffee and what not.

This can affect your weight loss and fitness goals

Can I ask some of you guys to experiment with something for 1 month?

Instead of doing 1 hour in the IDT, just do 30 mins BUT as follows:

5 min warm-up

4 x 4 min intervals with 1 min recovery (making 4 x 5 min sets = 20min)

5 min recovery

The 20 minute section must be done at 85-90% of HR max (even keeping the 1 min recovery cycled over 85% HR. This makes the 20 minute section very intense in therms of HR. Don't worry about power at all if you are measuring it.

The 20min cycle should be ideally at the highest resistance you can maintain at an average cadence of 90 - 100.

I can almost guarantee that if you do this on Mon, Wed and Thur - Rest Tues & Friday and then do a longer ride on Sat and a shorter "recreational" type ride on Sunday you will end up with a higher lactic acid threshold, improved ability to maintain intensity and an improved VO2 Max and weight loss while keeping up whatever eating plans you are already on.

See what happens...

'whoosh' 'unload' just shake my head ...

LOL. 

Anyway. 

Brekkie - 4 chipolatas and 1/2 a slice of low gi seed bread with butter. 

Lunch - 5 chipolatas & a serving of futurelife with full cream milk (forgot my wallet at home and that was in the office cupboard)

Dinner - probably steak & veggies. 

LOL. 

Anyway. 

Brekkie - 4 chipolatas and 1/2 a slice of low gi seed bread with butter. 

Lunch - 5 chipolatas & a serving of futurelife with full cream milk (forgot my wallet at home and that was in the office cupboard)

Dinner - probably steak & veggies. 

I notice you're a bit of a chipolata slut.

Remember the cheat meal helps speed up the body again. Sfter dieting and eating smaller quantities, your metabolism will slow down so throw in 1 cheat meal every 7-10 days.

I haven't weighed in 2 days and will only get back onto the scale on Tuesday morning.

I've been hovering around 72kg from Monday to Wednesday this week, down to 71.3kg this morning (even after having popcorn and some pasta for dinner)

I weigh myself every morning, but only pay attention to the general trend. 

I notice you're a bit of a chipolata slut.

bought one of those woolies chipolata boxes on tuesday. Was the cheapest source of prepared protein at the time. Wanted something I could warm up.. They're gone now though. 

201 km this week and only friday morning... 105.4 kg [emoji3]

Had to add a peanut butter and honey slice of fresh white bread as filler...to ease the hunger pains and help keep the engine running.

Really getting bored on the IDT ...8 hrs is loooooong time sit and pick your nose.

Had to add a peanut butter and honey slice of fresh white bread as filler...to ease the hunger pains and help keep the engine running.

Really getting bored on the IDT ...8 hrs is loooooong time sit and pick your nose.

just add a playstation...

Also maybe start running a bit...

If I'm just doing an easy ride I watch TV. 

And well done on the progress. Nice!

Well done on the progress. Don't worry about the mileage, just focus on some quality sessions on the trainer. You will see better gains doing high intensity work instead of just turning over the pedals.

Dude, I think you are over-doing it on the IDT. You will end up robbing yourself of the joy of riding if you make it such a mission. Then you end up regressing because you just plain don't want to ride! 

Try my 30 minute proposal earlier in this thread. It is intense but short and surprisingly effective.

Archived