Bike Hub weight loss challenge 2016

Bikehub weight loss competition  

139 members have voted

1. 1. Are you interested in participating in a weight loss competition

• Yes
    • Perhaps
    • Where's my cake?

I've heard about this IF thing.

Do you do this everyday or only one or two days a week?

Every day. It sounds hardcore, but your body adapts quickly. I was never big on breakfast anyway, so it wasn't a major shock to my system.

At what time is lunch and when is supper?

You base your meals on feeding times. You have an undereating window and over eating window. Your last meal is 2 hours before bedtime. 16 hours after that is your under eating window.

If you eat at 8p.m. this is at 12ish the next day. This is your undereating window. Small portion protein and some veggies. From 5 ish, you have a 3 to 4 hour over eating phase where you can have as much (healthy) food as you like. 2, 3, 4 steaks if you please and some healthy carbs (rice, sweet potatoes, etc). The carbs help sustain you till your next undereating meal.

How big are your beef tjops (what is a beef tjop, T-Bone?) and how much nuts do you eat?

In your overeating phase, tjops (meat) can be as big as you want. In your undereating phase, keep your meals to around a smaller saucer size with a handful of almonds

Do you only eat at these 2 times or depending on training?

Yes, the point is to be fasting for 16 hours at a time. If you can fit training into this window, you will see good weightloss figures.

I've found that I gain weight when I snack during meals. And this is still healthy snacks like fruits, nuts droë wors, biltong and still in my allowed calorie intake.

Fruits are loaded with sugar, don't have too many. Droewors and biltong also make me gain weight because I over induldge.

Once you've reached your target weight, you are allowed to increase your feeding windows or go back to a HEALTHY eating style to maintain your weight.

Thanks, if I may ask you further- how do you adapt this to HIIT training or long and hard rides on weekends.

I've found that I can train better on HIIT days if I had a banana/ date balls with some nuts prior to my workout. On weekends I can do 3- 3.5 hours in a fasted state with only water, but only at very low intensity.

I only use gels, energy drinks and bars during races, but on weekend rides which is long 4-5 hours and of medium intensity I will have some oats prior to the ride and date balls and banana on the bike.

I do my HIIT sessions after work- since you're allowed only two meals, is it then Ok to include some healthy carbs during the under eating window? Banana/ date balls- I've heard that Brown Basmati rise and Wild Rice are very healthy and nutritious. (brown basmati is quite lekker)

Or can I eat 2 times during the over eating window. In other words, have a fruit and some nuts prior to the HIIT session and then a proper dinner afterwards, all still in that 4 hour period?

Will it be disrupt the whole thing if I eat a bowl of oats prior to a proper ride one day a week? ( I don't do treat meals [well, try not to] since it nullifies a whole week of hard effort. Anyway I try to adopt a new, healthy lifestyle)

what is the most important part of this diet? The 16 h fasting? Only 2 meals? Period between meals? and/ or what you eat when you eat, ie; small lunch with no carbs and big supper with healthy carbs as per your example earlier?

What I try to determine is how to adjust this to my training, or how to adjust my training to this.

I value your input, thanks.

Edited by HBO

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK guys so after a bit of introspection during my 'lunchtime' ride I realize I was condescending in my posts earlier and should apologize, I know you are all trying really hard and am well aware that it is not an easy thing.

@partydave - you are probably right that no even I am not THAT determined and should think about those things but I have yet to reach that level of healthy living I guess

So sorry if I offended or pissed any one off, I guess best I go off to the 'Evan Selfie' thread where I can perhaps give some useful input.

screw that..us fat boys and girls need a good whippen...the only reason we are so fat is because we dont try hard enough...where is that stick ;)

For many years ive had the same breakfast most days!

4 eggs whites, 2 whole eggs, 1/2cup oats, splash of milk and 2scoops of whey. All in a blender and enjoy!

Add coffee for a great coffee shake or some peanut butter.

Works great for those early morning rides or if I have to start work really early I make it the night before and leave it in the fridge ready to drink in the morning.

Don't knock it before you try it!

For many years ive had the same breakfast most days!

4 eggs whites, 2 whole eggs, 1/2cup oats, splash of milk and 2scoops of whey. All in a blender and enjoy!

Add coffee for a great coffee shake or some peanut butter.

Works great for those early morning rides or if I have to start work really early I make it the night before and leave it in the fridge ready to drink in the morning.

Don't knock it before you try it!

The oats and whey smoothie with some peanut butter is the bomb ! Just without the eggs for me. I used that alot when training heavy weights and it gives nice sustainable energy and also keeps you full for a good few hours.

It sounds interesting.

As for joining, I would love to but won't be able to do so since it is my first job after a long 3-year of being jobless, and with the international company taking big strides in iIT industry field, everyone of us is working our guts off to get the company to the top.

So, I will take part, in spirit, since I am way overweight (need to shed around 40kg's).

Is there any member doing this, in the Stellenbosch / Somerset West area, that we can ride together, for motivation?

Thanks, if I may ask you further- how do you adapt this to HIIT training or long and hard rides on weekends.

If it's a sub 4 hour race, I'll have an espresso and some form of pre-workout (Nutritech Pre-Amino is my favourite) Over 4 hours and I'll have a bowl of oats with honey. You'll still drop weight due to the increased training.

I've found that I can train better on HIIT days if I had a banana/ date balls with some nuts prior to my workout. On weekends I can do 3- 3.5 hours in a fasted state with only water, but only at very low intensity.

Try a pre-workout or a big cup of coffee before the ride

I only use gels, energy drinks and bars during races, but on weekend rides which is long 4-5 hours and of medium intensity I will have some oats prior to the ride and date balls and banana on the bike.

Write these days off as non-fasting days. The magic happens in the 16 hours of fasting and not over an entire week. Just don't put chocolate chips or sugar in your oats. You are still allowed cheat meals when IF. This may be a good way to work that in

I do my HIIT sessions after work- since you're allowed only two meals, is it then Ok to include some healthy carbs during the under eating window? Banana/ date balls- I've heard that Brown Basmati rise and Wild Rice are very healthy and nutritious. (brown basmati is quite lekker)

No, carbs are not allowed during the undereating phase. What I can recommend is moving your overeating window back by an hour. Start your over eating phase at 4 p.m (or an hour before you head home) and have a cup of rice. Do your HIIT and have a nice big (healthy) meal afterwards. That will then be, last meal at 8p.m, lunch at undereating meal at 12p.m start overeating at 4p.m till 8p.m

Or can I eat 2 times during the over eating window. In other words, have a fruit and some nuts prior to the HIIT session and then a proper dinner afterwards, all still in that 4 hour period?

As long as you keep within that 4 hour period, you can have as many meals as you like.

Will it be disrupt the whole thing if I eat a bowl of oats prior to a proper ride one day a week? ( I don't do treat meals [well, try not to] since it nullifies a whole week of hard effort. Anyway I try to adopt a new, healthy lifestyle)

No, it won't negate the weeks efforts, see next part for my reasoning

what is the most important part of this diet? The 16 h fasting? Only 2 meals? Period between meals? and/ or what you eat when you eat, ie; small lunch with no carbs and big supper with healthy carbs as per your example earlier?

For sure the 16 hour fasted period.

As I understand, during this 16 hour fasting state that your body burns off fat stores and not what ever you've eaten. I don't understand the exact bio-mechanics of it though.

I've done some experimenting with LCHF diets and while they worked amazingly well (I went from 106kg to 78kg on a LCHF diet) I found that having "off" day ruined an entire weeks efforts. It also started to get really expensive. When I started with IF, if I had an "off" day, only that day went to waste. I'd be dropping weight the next day if I kept on target. The problem is, have 1 pack of chips and the day is ruined. I can almost calculate by now how much I will weight based on the amount of fasting time I've worked in for the day and the amount of carbs I've had. 

What I try to determine is how to adjust this to my training, or how to adjust my training to this.

I value your input, thanks.

back below 110 - 109.5 this morning. 

Breakfast - 4 pork chipolatas, coffee (vida latte) and a slice of low gi seedbread with bovril. That's 494 kcal, assuming 250ml milk in the coffee. 

Lunch - pork chipolatas & broccoli with butter. 569kcal

Snack - orange

Dinner - not sure yet. Probably grilled chicken with mixed veg. 

All in all, according to MFP that's 1,600kcal, so I'll probably add in some chipolatas later in the day.

Probably getting through 4-5 litres of water a day. No fizzy drinks (haven't for a while) no added sugar in my coffee, only ever add 1/2 a teaspoon of sugar to my tea and I drink tea once a week or so. 

I'm cutting alcohol (that's one vice I haven't given up) and attempting to go clean for a month.

One thing I DID do over the weekend was have some crisps, and quite a bit of food after the trail build (and beer instead of whiskey) Was SUPER hungry, so maybe - no, definitely - went overboard on that end. No more lying to myself.

back below 110 - 109.5 this morning. 

Breakfast - 4 pork chipolatas, coffee (vida latte) and a slice of low gi seedbread with bovril. That's 494 kcal, assuming 250ml milk in the coffee. 

Lunch - pork chipolatas & broccoli with butter. 569kcal

Snack - orange

Dinner - not sure yet. Probably grilled chicken with mixed veg. 

All in all, according to MFP that's 1,600kcal, so I'll probably add in some chipolatas later in the day.

Probably getting through 4-5 litres of water a day. No fizzy drinks (haven't for a while) no added sugar in my coffee, only ever add 1/2 a teaspoon of sugar to my tea and I drink tea once a week or so. 

I'm cutting alcohol (that's one vice I haven't given up) and attempting to go clean for a month.

One thing I DID do over the weekend was have some crisps, and quite a bit of food after the trail build (and beer instead of whiskey) Was SUPER hungry, so maybe - no, definitely - went overboard on that end. No more lying to myself.

yoh, that's a lot of water. Why so much?

Keep at it okes - - daily battle but you'll win the war.

By way of motivation.....I managed to drop +/-4 kgs and got down to 80.5kg and 20% body fat for the Jock Classique. On the day, I felt super-prepared for those hills. A huge reinforcing effect to actually 'feel' lighter. Probably the better reinforcement that looking at the scales, or checking out my belt size.

yoh, that's a lot of water. Why so much?

dunno, really. I'm just thirsty!

And before you ask, no - my blood sugar isn't inflated and no I don't have t2 diabetes or anything. 

I have a 1.25l bottle on my desk. Fill that twice a day most days. Have some water in the mornings on the way to work and on the way home - 750ml bottle always in the car - and then with dinner and after. 

Even on low water days, I get through 2l easily. 

dunno, really. I'm just thirsty!

And before you ask, no - my blood sugar isn't inflated and no I don't have t2 diabetes or anything. 

I have a 1.25l bottle on my desk. Fill that twice a day most days. Have some water in the mornings on the way to work and on the way home - 750ml bottle always in the car - and then with dinner and after. 

Even on low water days, I get through 2l easily. 

Wow. I struggle to get through 1 litre. Summer is easier though - usually 2 litres.

"Dunno wtf happened. 110. Had the build day in tokai on Saturday which was brutal, so maybe still water retention? Dunno. Hitting weights later today to switch it up."

"One thing I DID do over the weekend was have some crisps, and quite a bit of food after the trail build (and beer instead of whiskey) Was SUPER hungry, so maybe - no, definitely - went overboard on that end. No more lying to myself."

You see Captain and I don't mean this in any way personal to you because there are many many in that same position! Hence my comments about if a person is being 'good' so to speak on their diet it is not possible surely to pick up weight ....

You see Captain and I don't mean this in any way personal to you because there are many many in that same position! Hence my comments about if a person is being 'good' so to speak on their diet it is not possible surely to pick up weight ....

Yep. I know. What I was saying (in the fibbing to myself part) is that on Saturday my calorie burn for the day (incl resting etc) was 3,600. I took in 2,500 including all the beer & food. So even though I pigged out, I still ended the day on a deficit (yes, I recorded everything) That's what I couldn't understand. 

But then thinking about it, that was a LOT of food, and it weighed close to that figure that I gained, I'm sure. The beers certainly weighed that, and the food itself probably as well. So that's what I mean by "lying to myself" - kidding myself that the exercise will offset the food, no matter what I eat. Cos at the end of the day, even if you burn 10,000 kcal - if you drink 1.5l beer, have a 300g steak, some chicken wings, some braai'd cheese & avo pitas and some chips, you're GOING to gain. And it's going to take a while for that extra food to come back out again...