Flat Pedals vs Flat SPD Pedals vs SPD Pedals

AlanD

Not SUPER necessary, but also not a bad idea :)

Hahaha..i think i will get some as it could get ugly the first few rides and will look like i have loads of skill :-)

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hahaha..i think i will get some as it could get ugly the first few rides and will look like i have loads of skill :-)

Moto X shops often have cheap knee-shins...Not great to pedal up in though so I used to carry m on my back and put em on at the top of the trail.

But honestly...Only ever wore them while trying to ride the DH track in George...

Moto X shops often have cheap knee-shins...Not great to pedal up in though so I used to carry m on my back and put em on at the top of the trail.

But honestly...Only ever wore them while trying to ride the DH track in George...

I was thinking something like a soccer or hockey shin guard, something that doesn't really cover the knee, is light and does not hook under the foot.

I have some hardcap lizzard skin ones I got at CWC but think was last of clearance stock.

They sometimes a bit warm but mostly I don't notice them. The scratches on the pastic is a clear indicator of bloodshed avoided.

On the other hand. Nothing teaches you like a bit of pain. I used to get a fair number of shin strikes (nothing that ever required stitches) but lately it seems to have stopped. Pain will make you keep you feet on your pedals. If you have to wear shin guards every time you ride you'll start to resent your flats.

On the other hand. Nothing teaches you like a bit of pain. I used to get a fair number of shin strikes (nothing that ever required stitches) but lately it seems to have stopped. Pain will make you keep you feet on your pedals. If you have to wear shin guards every time you ride you'll start to resent your flats.

But I suppose if it makes you feel better on the first few rides its okay. Kneepads make sense though. I fully believe in those but only for certain situations.

I have the shin dents to prove skating, Bmx and flat pedal bloodshed. The amount of sub dermal hematomas suffered coming off mongoose pedals... I am really not into that :lol:

My left shin was ripped to shreds by a Crank Brothers Mallet pedal with pins. Hit a pile of grass cuttings on the apex of a very fast corner. My foot uncleated and the shin landed with my full weight on the pedal during the ensuing crash. Was not pretty :cursing: 

Have a had one or two flat pedal incidents which added a little to the scarring.

If you have time to read, you can have a look at this.

http://www.bikejames.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Flat-Pedal-Revolution-Manifesto.pdf

"But what I don’t like to see is a rider start using clipless pedals too soon and not take advantage of the lessons that flat pedals force them to learn. Too often a well-meaning fellow rider will see them struggling on the trail and suggest to them that getting clipless pedals will help them out. They know that being attached to the pedals keeps your feet from flying off and makes it easier to bunny hop so why not help a newbie by encouraging them to make the switch?

The problem is that a lot of riders have a tough time learning several key lessons on clipless pedals and this makes it important for them to develop these skills before making the switch. Those struggles that are avoided with clipless pedals contain lessons that help you pedal and ride more efficiently.

By working through those struggles on flats you become much better, well rounded riders who can then transfer those skills to the more complex clipless pedal system."

From James Wilson

read his article and I think he's missing a key point.

People who learn to ride bicycles when they're kids learn on flats. they learn a lot of the necessary skill at an age when absorption of information is much higher.

People learning to MTB as adults are at a massive disadvantage wrt to learning and absorbing those skills.

Its very easy to make a blanket statement that flats are better to learn on  but one has to consider the individual. In some people fear is a big enough blocker for them to never absorb the learnings from flats. Pain is a good motivator to switch to clipless

What Headshot said (except the shin bit - they can be nasty requiring several stitches)

The combo that won't break the bank - MSHBKS and Etnies - offer reliablity and good grip.

I use MSHBKS pedals - cheap but last forever - very servicable.  Has stainless removable pins.  Animal pedals  - plastic throw away but last longer than what you think and offers good grip with less shin damage.  BSD Ok as well in this cat

Shoes try Etnies (you get skate, bmx and the ones I'm using now not sure where they fit in)  get ones that have a relatively high heel bit for a better fit) (skate can be too low and some bmx have a high padded inner bit to catch tailwhips)  Out of all the shoes my household have gone through - etnies have lasted the best.

Ya those MSHBKS are good - had a pair on my sons bike when it was stolen - solid as anything and cheap too.

Used to ride on flats on the trick bike back in ye' old school days, black school shoes and all. Now I nearly kill myself without clips.

Ironically, riding with flats isn't like riding a bike.

Keen to re-learn again, not keen on skin-less shins.

So this is what i have to work with: Mongoose pedals where one pin is missing on the one pedal and one pedal spins smoother than the other.

The whote show is a tennis shoe i use in the garden amd the other is a running shoe.

post-57045-0-79046300-1452783504_thumb.jpg

post-57045-0-47143900-1452783525_thumb.jpg

You are going to struggle with those shoes - flat soles on flat pedals - the wider the better.

Ok right, flat soles. Maybe search for a cheap pair for now then?

Go to a Billabong shop and buy some Nike SB shoes. They grip like five10 (I have Impact VXI) and are quite durable. They will work well to start out on. And you can wear them to a braai.

Go to a Billabong shop and buy some Nike SB shoes. They grip like five10 (I have Impact VXI) and are quite durable. They will work well to start out on. And you can wear them to a braai.

Lol...two functions in one..i could even cycle to the braai and not need to change shoes :)

Archived