[Event] Karoo To Coast

News bot

So a quick question, my drivetrain is moertoe. The mechanic at the bikeshop spend more than an hour onsaturday trying to get the shifting working but the cassette is done and you have to shift 2/3 shifts at the shifter to get the chain to move to another gear.

So my question, should i ride K2C like this or should i replace my whole drivetrain before. i currently have 1x10 and i have a brand spanking new 11speed in the cupboard at home. I just want to get the most out of my current one as i am binning it anyways.

I was really hoping to still ride my 10speed untill after the K2C. Except for the crap shifting do i run any other risks by keeping the current drivetrain on?

I installed the new drivetrain last night. will take it out for a test ride tonight. Hopefully everything working and give it a proper test at Staalwater on saturday.

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A quick question, regarding packing my bike for traveling, do I take the derailer off completely or do I just protect it with block below the frame? your advice would be appreciated.

Okay guys as you see i am trying for a 4h30 ride. If my average must be +- 22km/h at the end what must my target (time and average) be at the 60km mark?

I did an easy 4:40 last year.

60km - 3:25

A quick question, regarding packing my bike for traveling, do I take the derailer off completely or do I just protect it with block below the frame? your advice would be appreciated.

Take it off. Pack in together with all loose components like headset bearings and tools in a plastic bag which you will cable-tie to the frame. Pedals also off. You are not allowed to pack Co2 Bombs in the box that goes into the hold of the plane. You are allowed two bombs intot he cabin per person. Deflate your tyres COMPLETLY. It gets checked. On Kulula it can get through as personal luggage if less that 20kg. (Your clothes are the with the only suitcase you are sharing with your wife. Hand luggage help with a few extras. Mango you pay R300 per trip for the box, but no real weight restrictions. Pack nicely with bubble wrap or anything that will protect rough handling. 

Okay guys as you see i am trying for a 4h30 ride. If my average must be +- 22km/h at the end what must my target (time and average) be at the 60km mark?

t = s/v

t = 60/22 = 2.7h = 2h44min

Assuming you can peddle constantly at 22kph haha.

Graad 10 Skeinat ftw! :clap:

Take it off. Pack in together with all loose components like headset bearings and tools in a plastic bag which you will cable-tie to the frame. Pedals also off. You are not allowed to pack Co2 Bombs in the box that goes into the hold of the plane. You are allowed two bombs intot he cabin per person. Deflate your tyres COMPLETLY. It gets checked. On Kulula it can get through as personal luggage if less that 20kg. (Your clothes are the with the only suitcase you are sharing with your wife. Hand luggage help with a few extras. Mango you pay R300 per trip for the box, but no real weight restrictions. Pack nicely with bubble wrap or anything that will protect rough handling. 

won't I loose the seat of the Tubeless tires if I deflate completely, I have already paid extra for the oversize luggage.

won't I loose the seat of the Tubeless tires if I deflate completely, I have already paid extra for the oversize luggage.

Yes.  Don't deflate them completely.  I've never had an issue with partially deflated tyres when flying.

normally start groups work something like this approx.

0-500 a

500-1000 b

2000 c

3000 d

4000 e

not an exact so dont quote me, but just to give everyone the idea